Skip to content

Match day thread: Tottenham

Comments

• Missing too many players, not training for 10 days and frankly Spurs were far too good.

Great effort to hold out for so long under the circumstances. Let's hope JJ's injury isn't too bad, with no left back cover, that could be disastrous for us.

• @micra said:
    Please, not extra time. We’ll be mullered.

Yeah thank goodness we didn't get into extra time eh, could have been... 5-1. lol.

Great display against every odd tonight, just knew the game was up at 2-1 and it all withered away.

• Really didn't deserve to lose by that scoreline. You could see how knackered we were towards the end and losing JJ was a big blow. Great performance against a team packed with genuinely world class players. Proper proud.

• @micra said:
    Under strength Wycombe side battled heroically, survived the onslaught until the last ten minutes and really did us proud.

Well said Micra, summed up perfectly.

• Thought Rocky was great tonight. Knight and Rocky share the MOM for me.

• Fred was MoM for me, his defending was brilliant and with JJ off, Fred defended the world’s highest paid player (allegedly) out of the game to such a degree that more than one of us thought he’d been subbed.

• No complaints. Gave everything and rode our luck a bit but given the makeshift defence and playing against some of the best players in the country hardly a surprise.

But Uche looked a real handful first half (but they sussed him out second half), Muskwe looked good at the start and Fred was back to something like his best.

Hope JJ’s injury isn’t too bad

• Very very proud. That is all.

• Hoping that JJ staying on for a little bit after his injury means it's not too serious.

You realise how critical he is to our style when he's missing.

• Proud of the boys, first half we were brilliant. I know we tend to receive some criticism for our style of play but that first half showed a different side of what we can do! Uche what a player, hope he stays with us for a long time.

• Bale, Kane, Son, Ndombele. That they all have to play to beat us says volumes in my mind.
    They did us proud - better than the BT coverage which seemed fixated on Spurs' big Day out rather than WWFC.

• uche was unplayable 1st half...it seemed like 2nd half the ref was told to blow up everytime the ball was anywhere near Uche .

• Now let's go and beat Brentford on Saturday.

• A little harsh in the end but no complaints, great to be involved in games like that.

The night was also special for me, signed up to have my little son (Ellis) as a virtual mascot. I'd post the picture up on here but dont know how too. It was shared on the Wycombe twitter account.

• Great effort and dead on our feet at the end.

• @ryan_w_kirkby

Worldwide Wycombe Wanderers Phenomenon ? (@wwfcworldwide) Tweeted:
    A huge virtual welcome to today’s virtual mascots!!
    Ok
    Today we welcome Owen, Charlotte, Penny, Aaron, Bo and Ellis!

We’re delighted you’re all a part of today’s game against Spurs and thank you so much for your support!

@wwfcofficial #WorldwideWanderers https://t.co/HPUUyEpCJO

• edited January 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Two words: Very Proud.

• @ryan_w_kirkby said:
    A little harsh in the end but no complaints, great to be involved in games like that.

The night was also special for me, signed up to have my little son (Ellis) as a virtual mascot. I'd post the picture up on here but dont know how too. It was shared on the Wycombe twitter account.

Glad that happened for you both.

• Nothing to be ashamed of there. If Uche can produce that fist half every week then we have a shout at building a team around him that can stay up. In league one he could be the player to have us top six next season.

• @Malone said:
    Hoping that JJ staying on for a little bit after his injury means it's not too serious.

I thought the same about Stewart and that proved slightly over-optimistic.

• @micra said:

@Malone said:
    Hoping that JJ staying on for a little bit after his injury means it's not too serious.

I thought the same about Stewart and that proved slightly over-optimistic.

Did Stewart actually play on though? Or just come back on and instantly have to come back off? JJ had a few mins of action.

• Thanks twizz and Woodlands, will be a great day when I can eventually take him to a live game.

• @Wanderers82 said:
    uche was unplayable 1st half...it seemed like 2nd half the ref was told to blow up everytime the ball was anywhere near Uche .

no doubt Mourinho had "a friendly word" at half time.

Great shift all round, although I will have to remind myself of the amount of solid gold changes that Spurs spunked up the wall the next time I think "och we were so unlucky" (to quote a former manager) in a game.

• We were always going to be up against it after the covid situation but I was a bit disappointed with that tonight.

Tottenham could have scored about 15, 1-4 may appear to flatter them because it was 1-1 until the 85th but that was only because of their absolutely appalling finishing.

McCarthy let Bale go for the first and tried to play offside, McClearly didn’t track Ndombele for the fourth, pretty poor defending in both instances.

Hopefully we can get a couple of things over the line in the remaining 7 days of the window and have a real go at staying up.

• Yeah, you hang in there as long as you can, ride your luck and hope you can take a chance that might come your way. That's how you sometimes beat teams that are better than you. Most of the time you will lose. Amazing to have to explain this to people.

We were in the game until about 5 minutes to go. As soon as they took the lead it was over. 4-1 or 2-1 doesn't really make any difference, you're still out of the cup.

Instead of coming on here and being a dull Alan Hansen rip off just be proud of how hard the team fought and worked to represent you tonight, on the back of less than ideal preparation.

They wore those shirts with honour this evening and I'm proud of their performance.

• @eric_plant said:
    Yeah, you hang in there as long as you can, ride your luck and hope you can take a chance that might come your way. That's how you sometimes beat teams that are better than you. Most of the time you will lose. Amazing to have to explain this to people.

We were in the game until about 5 minutes to go. As soon as they took the lead it was over. 4-1 or 2-1 doesn't really make any difference, you're still out of the cup.

Instead of coming on here and being a dull Alan Hansen rip off just be proud of how hard the team fought and worked to represent you tonight, on the back of less than ideal preparation.

They wore those shirts with honour this evening and I'm proud of their performance.

Always proud of my team but it’s those kind of individual errors that have been costing us all season. Absolutely can never fault the work rate of WWFC under GA, it’s unbelievable at times.

Onwards and upwards eh.

• @ryan_w_kirkby Do you mind me asking how old your son is? Mine is 15 months, looking to get him a shirt in the near future.

• Proud of the lads tonight...85 minutes in and 1-1 was a great cup tie performance. Fred had his best game this season, we reckon he gets himself more ‘up’ against teams like Spurs whereas some weeks he seems to ‘dial it in’ with his performances and frustrates us. He finished a well taken goal. Rocky also had a very good game and kept us in it.

• We missed JJ’s corners and free kicks after he went off. He would have fancied that edge of the box one that McCarthy span around the outside of the wall.