Skip to content

Match day thread: Preston

Comments

• @JohnBoy said:
    Tough to take that. Probably Knight’s first significant error.

Yes. He was shaping up to be player of the first half of the season in my eyes. And still is.

• Needed that break in play. How did Scott Sinclair end up at Preston?

• @Manboobs said:

@JohnBoy said:
    Tough to take that. Probably Knight’s first significant error.

Yes. He was shaping up to be player of the first half of the season in my eyes. And still is.

Thompson for me, but not much in it.

• Is that really a yellow for Knight? Looked like he got the ball pretty cleanly to me...

• Not sure why we can't wear the blue quarters and yet our keeper can wear yellow sleeves and a shirt whose bottom third is also yellow

• I think Kashket was booked for dissent. That was the graphic that came up anyway.

• That looked like a horrible injury.

• Looked like his ankle to me, rather than his knee

• We’re never going to score another goal.

• The amount of fucking errors!!! Get fred off he's been dreadful

• The beast is missing chance after chance

• Kashket HAD to shoot there.

• The back four haven’t recovered from giving the goal away yet, and the front four look great until they have to make a decision.

• edited December 2020

Better going forward than on Wednesday, just need to get our heads together - Stewart's looked very jittery. And we could do with actually KICKING THE BALL when it's in their box.

• Fred has really struggled this half.

Jittery is a pretty good summary of the entire team.

• We started very brightly for the first 10 minutes before that completely uncharacteristic error from Knight left us looking a bit shellshocked for the next 15 minutes where Preston really could have nicked at least another. Come back into the game since then - perhaps that horror injury killing Preston's momentum in the same way Knight's mistake did ours. We just need to be clinical and create something clear-cut - on another day Kashket gets there half a second earlier and touches the ball past the keeper and scores. Big second half where we are very much in this game, but need to get our foot on the ball in Preston's half as they do not look entirely solid at the back at all.

McCarthy is also doing perfectly well in midfield, but we look so much less assured at the back without Thompson in front. Next goal is huge here - has to be us that scores it if we fancy something from the game.

• Same issue as Stoke, seemingly no idea how to create a chance not from a set piece. Aimless punts into the box. If we play Bayo we need players closer to him.

• Everytime the balls there to be recycled in and around the area we foul and completely take the pressure off. Why oh why can't we retain possession from a throw in? Seriously frustrating to watch.

• Kinda feel there could be something in this for us, if we can force the issue. Just need that bit of quality.

• @floyd said:
    We’re never going to score another goal.

I'm worried now as even a relentlessly positive guy like you has realised!

• Feels just the same as the last umpteen games. Oppo look dangerous - bit better than average bringing it out from their half for most of that half, to my eye - but we look well capable of competing and potentially winning if only there was some class and/or composure in the danger area. Well done to McCarthy for that header that was cleared off the line.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Kashket HAD to shoot there.

Had to shoot without taking that extra touch.

Can't really blame him though. He's spent the whole game barely getting a touch, so not surprising that when it opened up he wasn't as clinical as we'd hope.

• It's a strange sort of 4132 formation that just leaves us so open to their fast balls into the channel. I have to disagree with Alan Parry, I think Rafferty is looking incredibly dangerous, especially when he combines with Sinclair (is he the classiest player we've come across yet in this league?)

I'm reluctantly beginning to think that Fred is only League One level. I hate that Millwall may have been right about that, he's my second favourite player in the squad, but there's only so many matches we can play him when he loses every ball to the opposition (he'll now score a hat trick this half...)

• We've posed much more threat than v Stoke and they're not dealing well with our system, but that counts for nothing without better decision-making in the final third / / in front of goal.

• Feels like a mess of a formation to me. Bit like playground games with schoolkids. We are relying on individual skill to get anything.
    Bayo looks injured and Knight looks jittery for the first time all season. Too many of the attacking players going missing.
    Still in it though so still hoping. Maybe a sub will give us some shape and a point to the attack

• A frustrating game that you feel we'd have so much better a chance with the normal midfield axis in there.

While McCarthy is doing ok he's not got the passing ability of any of the missing men and it's all a bit last ditch full on effort type of challenges against the tide.

• @Wycombe85 said:
    Kinda feel there could be something in this for us, if we can force the issue. Just need that bit of quality.

Just like Huddersfield, Derby and Stoke, there are plenty of points for us here if we can play with some more composure.

• I think Bayo may come off soon and we might even see Parker given another chance?

• I agree with @Brownie

• Ok chaps - positive hats on.
    Only 1-0 down. Everything to play for. Every chance we get back into this and then who knows.