Skip to content

Match day thread: Rotherham

Comments

• Had a few hours to think now. A complete gutter to lose so late, we deserved a draw for our 1st half performance alone, if only one of those chances had gone in !

I thought Allsopp was solid, the defense was fantastic apart from the goal. How good was Stewart again ? If he keeps playing like that I just hope we can keep hold of him ! Kashket was superb first half, Horgan was decent again, thought Fred was a bit quiet, and I wont mention the midfield as I dont want to get abused on a fine Saturday evening, but I think we need reinforcements there. Onto next week, keep smiling.... we're in the Championship !!

• No one's in any doubt we need some more midfielders are they? Altho i thought Blooms and Pattison did exactly what was required of them, and we really struggled once they were both gone.

I can't imagine we'll ever finish a game with Freeman and McCarthy in centre midfield again.

• Is Gape a 3 match ban or just this one? I suppose since his offence would have been classed as 'violent conduct' it will be 3 matches?

• @Croider said:
    Is Gape a 3 match ban or just this one? I suppose since his offence would have been classed as 'violent conduct' it will be 3 matches?

Yep 3 unfortunately.

Losing him for half of that Brentford game was bad enough, then 3 games extra is really costly.
    Bloomfield's challenge today wasn't too different, but I suppose a slightly different angle.

• I am still proud - it really is "just one of those things". Gutting, but I am not disappointed with any particular player, or the manager. Two more minutes and it is a fine opening point.

• Get a result next week and it's forgotten.

• @Shev - sorry it would not have been a fine opening point .Rotherham will be down towards the bottom and I’m pretty sure Ainsworth would have had this down as a 3 point game for us.

• @floyd, @Malone and @Wendoverman have voiced what I had in mind @Right_in_the_Middle regarding the introduction of Ryan Tafazolli but 20:20 hindsight is a wonderful thing and to have subbed Darius would have set a precedent, I think.

One or two (perhaps on Facebook which I visited briefly) have expressed surprise at the substitution of Alex Pattison but I think he was really feeling the pace and had been suffering from cramp.

• I'm intrigued about the status of Curtis Thompson. No "out with a knock" tweet from the club, as far as I could tell. I hope we don't have an el-Abd type scenario where he gets told he's fallen down the pecking order and looks for a new club. I like him.

• I believe on the Chairboys live before the game Matt Cecil did say that Curtis and Uche had minor knocks whilst Bayo is still recovering from his surgery

• 20th.......our highest ever league position. I'm ok with that.

• @aloysius said:
    I'm intrigued about the status of Curtis Thompson. No "out with a knock" tweet from the club, as far as I could tell. I hope we don't have an el-Abd type scenario where he gets told he's fallen down the pecking order and looks for a new club. I like him.

My son gave me the impression that Ikepezau and Thompson were involved in the same training ground collision that caused their knocks? Then again, my son does have some strange tangents at times? ??

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@aloysius said:
    I'm intrigued about the status of Curtis Thompson. No "out with a knock" tweet from the club, as far as I could tell. I hope we don't have an el-Abd type scenario where he gets told he's fallen down the pecking order and looks for a new club. I like him.

My son gave me the impression that Ikepezau and Thompson were involved in the same training ground collision that caused their knocks? Then again, my son does have some strange tangents at times? ??

If Curtis collided at speed with Uche he too probably went off at a strange tangent.

• @davecz said:
    @Shev - sorry it would not have been a fine opening point .Rotherham will be down towards the bottom and I’m pretty sure Ainsworth would have had this down as a 3 point game for us.

Strap in old boy, it's going to be a long season. In all probability we will lose more than we win, we will win games we weren't expecting too and there will be moments to savour. Even if we spend 5 times what we can reasonably afford and get every tactical and recruiting decision spot on we would still have less recognised quality than most.
    It would have been magnificent to get a point that shows we can compete with someone in this division. We will soon and should celebrate it. The fact we have mostly held our own against 2 championship teams now should be applauded.
    Criticise away in a fair manner, I have no idea if you are generally a moany type or wind up merchant but if you post the same thing every day for 8 months begging for new players as if nobody else would like that or its easy to get them, or slating the management team who took us to our highest ever league position yesterday as if you'd do so much better I fear you might have a long year.

• I’m not remotely worried at this stage. The only legitimate question we can ask after two games is: “how is the defence looking at this level?” And my opinion of that is: “not too shabby.”

Questions about the long-term prospects of our midfield are skewed by the current injuries and suspension and probable/possible reinforcements in that area.

Up front we’ve not had chance to even attempt Plan A yet so it’s really just a case of looking at the individual players and their individual qualities, which again seems generally positive.

A positive result would obviously have helped yesterday but apart from one or two anticipated thrashings (we are Wycombe and always prone to the odd off day) don’t actually think we’ll be anyone’s whipping boys this season

• @StrongestTeam - I am neither a moany type or a wind up merchant but someone who happens to have an opinion which is as far as I know can be shared on this forum. I cannot believe that Ainsworth ( because he has done it every year ) has set a minimum target and has probably looked at the fixtures and identified where the points may come from. I would bet he had three points from the home game against Rotherham. I know the constraints of our finances and therefore very realistic on our ambitions. I think if you bothered to look at my posts they are never critical of our management but like a number of people feel we need more players , not easy to achieve within our budget. So I throw another into the mix . When finances are extremely tight, spectators unlikely to back for a number of months and this maybe our only chance to stay in the Championship, why embark on creating a B team . Clearly comes with cost which could have spent on recruiting one or two extra players for the first team. If we were in normal circumstances, yes a B team would be a sensible long term plan but now ? Sorry another opinion.

• I think part of the b-team answer @davecz is that this season is not just about this season, it's about creating stability for the future. We have a huge opportunity to make this club financially and competitively stable, a goal which encapsulates more than finishing 21st this season.

What's the b-team cost us so far? Curtis Anderson's minimal contract and a load of laundry after the Chesham friendly?

• Awful lot of words to make the point that it would have been better to win yesterday's game

• Aside from the goal, I don't think our back five put a foot (or hand) wrong yesterday, other than our continued inability to distribute the ball out from defence. Rotherham seemed to be able to play even long balls out to teammates while so many of ours simply went into touch.

Disappointing to lose in that fashion but nothing in either the league or cup game suggests we're out of our depth.

• @davecz said:
    @StrongestTeam - I am neither a moany type or a wind up merchant but someone who happens to have an opinion which is as far as I know can be shared on this forum. I cannot believe that Ainsworth ( because he has done it every year ) has set a minimum target and has probably looked at the fixtures and identified where the points may come from. I would bet he had three points from the home game against Rotherham. I know the constraints of our finances and therefore very realistic on our ambitions. I think if you bothered to look at my posts they are never critical of our management but like a number of people feel we need more players , not easy to achieve within our budget. So I throw another into the mix . When finances are extremely tight, spectators unlikely to back for a number of months and this maybe our only chance to stay in the Championship, why embark on creating a B team . Clearly comes with cost which could have spent on recruiting one or two extra players for the first team. If we were in normal circumstances, yes a B team would be a sensible long term plan but now ? Sorry another opinion.

Where to even start? Yes, you are allowed to express your opinion, you have done several times, other people are allowed to disagree with your opinion or angle. I don't think anyone wouldn't welcome another midfielder if one can be found that fits the profile and cost constraints. Try a bit of patience.
    I could be wrong but I believe the few b team players we have got are on buttons in the grand scheme of things, will allow us to play 11 v 11 in training, cover injuries, have subs on the bench and allow us to try and develope players for the first time in years, Dobbo previously talked about us needing players we brought in to be first team ready in weeks or they were taking up budget that wasn't spare. With his previous record of bringing through players it would be silly not to let him try again.
    We could spend every bean trying to stay up and give people long contracts and still go down. The new guys seem good improvements and I haven't heard anything to suggest we've stopped looking for more.

• @eric_plant said:
    Awful lot of words to make the point that it would have been better to win yesterday's game

Absolutely, although I’m in no position to criticise verbosity. But @davecz has only to look at the example of Exeter City to see where our club are coming from. See also @floyd’s excellent post above.

• “is coming from”?

• Did I miss the meeting that promised this season was going be easy? Looking at the results lots of teams lost yesterday and most of them not in the 92nd minute!

• @ozzie the relaxed, I make it that we are equal 15th, it's only the alphabet which puts us at 20th

• @davecz said:
    @StrongestTeam - I am neither a moany type or a wind up merchant

? https://gasroom.org/profile/comments/4379/davecz ?

• @drcongo - I may be moany or a windup up merchant but clearly not as sad as you.!!!

• Tight game, but thought we deserved a draw. Just shows that we need to take the chances presented but positive that we created two clear cut chances with Horgan and Charles and not seeing any reason to hit the panic button after one game. Pleased to see Kashket give the defenders a headache in the first half, just needs to work on having that impact throughout the game. All in all, enough to build upon going forward and bringing back Gape, Uche and Bayo gives us a positive future.

• @davecz said:
    @drcongo - I may be moany or a windup up merchant but clearly not as sad as you.!!!

Picking a fight with the guy who can remove you with one button click isn't the smartest move you'll make.

• Jesus.......