Skip to content

Match day thread: Rotherham

Comments

• @trevor said:

@floyd said:
    Yellow for Blooms. This is not a league to be a combative midfielder.

Should be a coach for us now I think shouldn't be starting in the championship.

Thats right @trevor

• David Wheeler is absolutely everywhere.

• @Malone said:
    Yes have to agree on this McCarthy in midfield business. Bizarre idea.
    Midfield isn't just about being athletic, it's a totally different role to what he plays.

• Why is there nobody at the post when defending corners?

• Oh bollocks! We did not deserve to.lose this game!

• Heart breaker.

• Not desrved

• This hurts.

• Harsh result, thought we deserved the draw and other than their goal had slightly the better of the chances

• Tough one, much like losing the Brentford game on penalties. Sometimes things go for you, sometimes they don’t.

• So unlucky today. We can't miss chances like the ones we did sadly.

• Disaster to lose this one.

And the commentary disappeared with 10 to go too!

• No one on the post.... school boy

• Allsop is a perfectly fine keeper, but I do wish we had been able to bring Blackman in.

• We shaded first half; Rotherham the second. Goal similar to Ethan Pinnock’s last weekend. Gutted.

• @drcongo said:

@Malone said:
    Yes have to agree on this McCarthy in midfield business. Bizarre idea.
    Midfield isn't just about being athletic, it's a totally different role to what he plays.

He looked totally out of place there to me.

• Maybe settled for the draw a bit early, not Darius's finest moment from the corner, onwards...

• Ouch. Hoped we see that through but looked more rocky as the game went on.

• Draw would have been about right. Rotherham always looked a threat at set pieces so no surprise to see them score one.

Only the first game but that’s a big three points to lose.

I thought Freeman did well when he came on. Helped us get a few controlled passes into the forwards. But perhaps he wouldn’t have been right for the scrap in the first 75 mins or so.

• I thought Rotherham were just a touch ahead of us, especially as the game went on. They seemed to be first to every second ball, and we didn't really get it clear from about the 70th minute. We're certainly short a couple of midfielders, but we knew that.

When we actually got on the ball and moved it around we looked fine. Horgan's going to be crucial this season. Wheeler and Tools both played very well but it's a shame Scotty couldn't get in the second half like he did in the first.

• That was hard on us. However Ainsworth will be well able to be positive about it, much to like about the performance and there are not many parallel universes in which we are not 1 - 0 up after 2 minutes.

• Was a bit worried at some of their giants on set pieces. Only takes beating your player once on a set piece.
    Kashket barely had a look in second half, bar the one very difficult chance

Hopefully Uche is available next game to see what he can provide.
    But we have to think about a loanee to strengthen that centre of mid if Thompson isn't going to be available.

• Yep. A.lot of hopeful clearances second half. Fred, SK and Horgan not getting on the ball. Shame to.lose as Stewart and the defence were excellent...and to concede from a corner? Ouch! Wheeler, Pattison and Bloomfield all played well (sorry @trevor ) At least no celebrating from richiemu on the Gasroom!

• Heartbreaking but ultimately a bad result for us. They will be down with us you suspect battling relegation. We needed the three points. We need more reinforcements for harder games ahead.

• Shouldn't McCarthy have been on the goal line for that corner? He looked lost in the box - I know he was playing in midfield but we needed his defender instincts there. In fact the whole back line was static and too far from goal. A real shame.

Watching two keepers punt the ball to each other all match seemed more like League Two football than Championship. I liked the formation, was it 4231? But it is clearly designed for Ikpeazu or Bayo to lead the line, not Kashket.

Gareth said in his Times interview this morning that his strengths lie in motivating players rather than being the most tactically astute manager, which is very honest of him. I'm sure he will see very clearly though that if we're going to continue to play this way without a big man up front we'll need better support from the midfield - and that means new signings.

• @StrongestTeam said:
    Maybe settled for the draw a bit early, not Darius's finest moment from the corner, onwards...

He was outjumped by quite a margin. Ihiewke is the same height (according to the usual trusted source!) but Darius, with his arthritic hip, must find it hard to jump at the end of a battle royal like that. His admirable, brave and consistently impressive performances make it easy to forgive an occasional error (if error is even the right word).

• Only the first game of 46 of course, but at the back of all our minds it's hard not think that this in theory was the "easiest" game of the season.

However, positive hat on, and if we can combine that defence - bar the late aberration get Gape and Uche back in there- we'll get a better guide of how it might pan out.

• We will be better for having one of our two injured target men back and we missed Dom Gape.
    Rotherham got stronger as the substitutions started. Having no game for six months didn't affect them as I thought it would.

It's only one game and its the same number of points available in every other one. I actually think we'll do better against sides who play more football.

• I think Rotherham are far from the easiest game we’ll have this season, it’s always a bit of a battle with them. They’re used to playing us, and actually do “know what they’re going to get with Wycombe”, there’s plenty of teams in this division though who have no experience of playing us or even anyone who plays like we do. That’s where I hope we can pick up a few points.

Second half we really weren’t in it at all though which is a little concerning.