Skip to content

No new midfielders

Comments

• @Username I know it feels so bad going without the live experience. I'm in the danger age group and have two people with health issues at home...but if they said we could go in at our own risk I would be at sixes and sevens deciding! :smile:

• Many happy returns @micra

Hope the boys can bring you a worthy birthday present before the nation on Saturday.

Looking forward to seeing you at AP when that time comes.

Cheers

• Great to hear from you @NorsQuarters and thanks for the birthday wishes. In the words of the late songstress, we WILL meet again and we know where but who knows when.

• @Wendoverman said:
    @Username I know it feels so bad going without the live experience. I'm in the danger age group and have two people with health issues at home...but if they said we could go in at our own risk I would be at sixes and sevens deciding! :smile:

Agreed, although the fact that if I didn't go someone else would definitely take my spot would mean I would go if allowed as the overall risk to society would be the same- I'd just make a real point to avoid anyone vulnerable.

Watching football I care about on the TV is so alien but it'll have to do for now

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Wendoverman said:
    Actual playing will.probably stay as the clubs have a proper testing system in place...fingers crossed. (Only because another football free lockdown will be even.more painful now we've had a taste!!)

Happy belated birthday to @micra

Probably in the minority here but I am really missing not going to the matches and am actually finding them being played behind closed doors really tough.
    I'd actually quite like a suspension in matches for my mental health.

I think that will be shared by a lot of people.

I think my feeling on things is a lot less the norm. That i quite like watching the games, especially all the Saturday aways being available. I thought it felt odd with no fans to start with but i totally don't notice at all now. In fact i quite like watching premier league games without gurning abusive fans screaming in the back of the shot.

Would i like to see some games in the flesh again, of course. But having every game available sort of makes up for it in the impossible to change circumstances.

• Feel similarly when it comes to Wycombe games, but football on TV in general does help keep me entertained now I'm cooped up inside most nights

• I think it'll be hard for them to go back to the handfuls of games being live on tv when this is all over.

It's been coming for a while, having the ability to watch every game live, and this whole mess might be what finally pushes it through.

• I’m wondering what today’s announcement , that no crowd for some months, will have on any transfer plans or even loanees moving forward. Also what is going to happen with the B team. I know we are not spending much on them but we have appointed a head coach , recruited two players ( Anderson and Phillips ) and presumably a number of trialists training hoping to secure a contract. Thankful we got promoted and there’s more money around from the EFL, TV , sponsors etc and hopefully the Couhigs otherwise I would fear for our future in today’s very uncertain times.

• The economics of staying in league one would have been terrible.

• Haven’t heard from the Couhigs for a while, have we? Hope all is well (or as well as it can be).

• Another week nearly over and unfortunately no transfer or loanee activity. Concerned we are going to have to start with Bloomfield and Pattison again. Even a point on Saturday would give everyone a boost.

• @davecz said:
    Another week nearly over and unfortunately no transfer or loanee activity. Concerned we are going to have to start with Bloomfield and Pattison again. Even a point on Saturday would give everyone a boost.

It's Wednesday still isn't it?

Patience and trust.

• Maybe tomorrow we'll have a new midfielder announced on loan and everyone will be happy...

• Transfer window closes on October 5th with extension to October 16th for domestic transfers. Plenty of time left.

• @glasshalffull said:
    Transfer window closes on October 5th with extension to October 16th for domestic transfers. Plenty of time left.

Confident we'll get more in by the deadline, but every week without a midfield is 3 less points available which could be costly especially with our relatively kind opening fixtures (supposedly on paper anyway)

• @Username said:

@glasshalffull said:
    Transfer window closes on October 5th with extension to October 16th for domestic transfers. Plenty of time left.

Confident we'll get more in by the deadline, but every week without a midfield is 3 less points available which could be costly especially with our relatively kind opening fixtures (supposedly on paper anyway)

Midfielders equal 3 points now? We should sign 15 of them immediately, doesn't matter who they are.

• I don’t agree that the absence of a new midfielder automatically means we will lose games and don’t forget that Gape is available after the Swansea game.

• @glasshalffull - not sure Gape can do it on his own. Early evidence admittedly, seems to suggest that the Championship is a step too far Bloomfield and Pattinson. Not sure about Thompson. Surely it’s better to have people in early as opposed to leave it to the end of window.

• edited September 2020

@StrongestTeam said:

@Username said:

@glasshalffull said:

Midfielders equal 3 points now? We should sign 15 of them immediately, doesn't matter who they are.

Having no adequate midfield means you can't compete in games, so you can't get anything out of those games.

The Rotherham game was basically a league 1 match, but we did compete and if we played that game out again 100 times with the same players getting the same chances we get something out of it most of the time.

The Blackburn game we get 0 points 100 times.

Gape returning will be massive, but he needs help

• No new midfielders? We're doomed.

• @davecz I think you are being harsh on Pattinson, certainly my take on what I have seen from him so far is that he is a work in progress and there is potential for improvement into a perfectly decent and capable ball winning midfielder who can make a decent pass.

As for Blooms, I think that this might just be a step too far, but he earned his chance and has been a great servant to the club, I suspect after the Swans game he will be less likely to be a starter and will come on as an impact sub to harass a tiring opposition.

Gape and (hopefully) Thompson's return will ease the pressure, though I do agree we need at least one or possibly two more creative options in the middle of the park

• @davecz said:
    @glasshalffull - not sure Gape can do it on his own. Early evidence admittedly, seems to suggest that the Championship is a step too far Bloomfield and Pattinson. Not sure about Thompson. Surely it’s better to have people in early as opposed to leave it to the end of window.

As long as we recruit the right players, I don’t mind when they come in. It’s a long season, 44 games to go.

• Fantastic to see two of our players basically being written off after 3 games of the season, two of which we held our own in.

• edited September 2020

@MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Fantastic to see two of our players basically being written off after 3 games of the season, two of which we held our own in.

The manager himself didn't fancy Pattison in league 1 enough to start him...

And Bloomfield is an absolute club legend, but there's a reason why he's never been above league 1 and often struggled to get into the team a division or even 2 below where we are now, it would be a miracle if at 38 he was up to the standard of getting a regular start in a central midfield 2 at championship level.

• @Username said:

Fantastic to see two of our players basically being written off after 3 games of the season, two of which we held our own in.

And Bloomfield is an absolute club legend, but there's a reason why he's never been above league 1 and often struggled to get into the team a division or even 2 below where we are now, it would be a miracle if at 38 he was up to the standard of getting a regular start in a central midfield 2 at championship level.

Gape and Thompson were hardly ever injured last year and Ofoborh was a class above as an alternative. There was no chance for Pattison.
    Bloomfield is a club legend who has given everything to this club. Anyone using him not playing higher as a reason why he can't isn't being fair at all.

We do need more help in midfield but to slag off the ones we have is not on

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Username said:

Gape and Thompson were hardly ever injured last year and Ofoborh was a class above as an alternative. There was no chance for Pattison.
    Bloomfield is a club legend who has given everything to this club. Anyone using him not playing higher as a reason why he can't isn't being fair at all.

We do need more help in midfield but to slag off the ones we have is not on

Why is saying that I don't think they're up to championship standard "slagging off". Saying that they're shit or not trying is slagging off.

• Were you 'up to standard' in the first three weeks of your job @Username ? Playing at this level is a promotion in many ways and requires learning and time. To write players off at this stage is slagging them off. If you were talking about a couple of under par games that is different.

You are making a valid point about needing midfield help but you are slagging off Pattison and Bloomfield without a big enough body of work.

• Anyone else noticed that despite our promotion against the odds and beyond most of our wildest dreams Championship Gasroom is almost the same as League One and League Two Gasroom ?

• edited September 2020

@Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Were you 'up to standard' in the first three weeks of your job @Username ? Playing at this level is a promotion in many ways and requires learning and time. To write players off at this stage is slagging them off. If you were talking about a couple of under par games that is different.

You are making a valid point about needing midfield help but you are slagging off Pattison and Bloomfield without a big enough body of work.

17 years of watching Bloomfield is more than a big enough body of work to make a pretty decent judgement for me.

He struggled in league 1 as an individual player, but made up for it with the team ethic and leadership, but you can only make up so much when the opposition can run round you at will.

He deserves to play a part this year no doubt, and will go down in history as one of our greatest, but being sentimental or burying our heads in the sand to be nice won't help us stay up

• I get that this is a forum for different opinions, but as ever I defer to the manager’s judgment on who is good enough and who isn’t. He has a pretty good track record in that area.