Skip to content

No new midfielders

Comments

• I wondered how long it took someone from ‘ toe the company line’ group to respond to a slightly controversial opinion.Glad to see @eric_plant to be the first !!!

• edited September 2020

Not sure what you mean there @davecz how is @eric_plant not agreeing with you toeing any company line? He was...as I did...pointing out you might be dismissing options for no good reason. Are your opinions (wild , crazy and rebelliously thumbing their nose at authority as they are...putting the rest of us sheep like drones to shame) not to be challenged?

• I'm not sure I was even disagreeing!

Just pointing out that dismissing a player out of hand because he's been released by another club is not wise.

Seems very much in character though so understandable

• @Wendoverman - I didn’t mention high profile signings in my post. Just that the two guys mentioned, didn’t appear to be particularly exciting and on paper not any better than we already have.

• @eric_plant accused of toeing the line. Eric Plant! Strange times indeed.

• @davecz said:
    Even a distinct lack of rumours about new players and loanees.

@davecz said:
    Irvine has been released by Hull who have been relegated. Sheehan plays for Newport County. Not very exciting rumours .

Just makes me smile.

• @davecz said:
    @Wendoverman - I didn’t mention high profile signings in my post. Just that the two guys mentioned, didn’t appear to be particularly exciting and on paper not any better than we already have.

But surely if we signed them that would mean we would actually have NEW midfielders...the title of your thread.

• Irvine would be a great signing, very good player, would have said unrealistic but as time ticks on you never know.

• @floyd said:
    @eric_plant accused of toeing the line. Eric Plant! Strange times indeed.

It is, I believe, a first

• This may be an unpopular opinion and I am prepared to be shot down by the weak-willed company line toeing Gasroomers, but I'm not panicking about signings or the lack of because I think Gareth and Dobbo know what they are doing.

• @floyd said:
    Blackburn Rovers (a) on Saturday. In a league game. Doesn't that put a skip in your step and a smile on your face?

It's incredible - playing a league winner from Premier league era, as equals in the same division!
    Such a shame we can't physically be there, but we'll soon get over that with a good result.

• Got to feel a little for some of the players (and GA particularly at Blackburn). This should be one of the highlights of their careers and it’s such a shame for them there aren’t crowds there to witness it.

But having said that, I’m pretty sure that the tightness of our squad means we’ll be better prepared than a lot of clubs for plating in empty stadium. I have a sneaky feeling that our away record at the start of the season may be better than our home.

• @davecz You're rapidly becoming a parody of yourself.

• @drcongo - that’s the nicest thing anyone has said about me !!! Why not try making comments on something about our club as opposed to someone whose posts may differ from your opinions Might be quite refreshing .

• Are you sure he's not Richie? Both have the tic of putting a space before multiple exclamation points. I've never seen anyone else do that.

• @Wendoverman said:
    This may be an unpopular opinion and I am prepared to be shot down by the weak-willed company line toeing Gasroomers, but I'm not panicking about signings or the lack of because I think Gareth and Dobbo know what they are doing.

I think the same, however, I'm sure they're also well aware we need more bodies in. Just because they haven't brought anyone in yet doesn't mean they don't want to - more likely that it is proving a challenge to do so.

• Got to admit I'm getting a little impatient for some new midfielders, as competitive as we were against Rotherham, that was 24th Vs 23rd in terms of quality on the pitch and we lost...

We were given a relatively good opening set of fixtures on paper, so I was really hoping we could sort out the midfield early enough to not cost us, but we started with a weaker midfield than we did in league 1.... Arguably league 2.

Fingers crossed for some business in the next few days

• I was thinking the same thing as @Username about the midfield. Bloomfield, Pattison, Freeman would have been OK for League 2 but not for League 1 and clearly not for the Championship. I'm sure Gareth has been trying to sign midfielders this week - hopefully we'll get an announcement today! - but we simply can't be competitive until we strengthen in this area.

So far of the five first-team additions only Horgan and Ikpeazu look like a first-choice names for the team sheet. I know we're not going to blow crazy money to stay in this division but with around £9m coming into the club I am still hopeful for at least one marquee signing for the midfield.

• Blimey you 2 have opened yourself up for some abuse from the usual Bloomfield and Freeman lovers

• @aloysius - totally agree with your assessment of those players. I would say only Gape is Championship class as I think Thompson is only a League 1 player in standard.

Hopefully we can get in a couple of midfielders soon ( without breaking the bank) otherwise I fear an even harder long season , with absolutely no chance of stay . Hard work , commitment, team spirit etc will get you so far but in the Championship you need some quality

I’m sure the management know the score and will deliver.

• Why are people still writing off Thompson? I really don't get it. I don't know what the issue is with his fitness, but he was frequently our best player bar none in League One. I believe that there's every chance he can make the step up.

Freeman, however, is painfully clearly not ready to start in the Championship. If we can bring a couple in and loan him out to start 30 games in League One this season, then we could have another look. Yes, he can pick a pass. But let's not pretend he "might be more suited to playing in the Championship" as has been claimed by a few on here. He needs games to develop and he won't get them here unless we have a real problem with injuries and recruitment.

I like Pattison a lot, he works incredibly hard. But I would very much bracket him with Bloomfield in that role and I don't think they should be starting together.

Final point, can we drop the "I trust Gaz and Dobbo know what they're doing" argument which seems to pop up so frequently. That's a given. We all trust Gaz and Dobbo. We are incredibly lucky to have them. But that doesn't preclude fans on a forum from expressing opinions or concerns on a whole variety of issues concerning the playing side of things.

• Talking of new midfielders, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Horgan playing as one of the midfield three as the season progresses. There's quite an interesting interview with him which touches on how quickly the move south came about https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/daryl-horgan-reveals-why-he-left-hibs-wycombe-looks-back-easter-road-career-and-his-forgotten-goal-against-rangers-2975709. Apart from anything else, he just comes across as a lovely man, as he has in the interviews he's given here to date.

• I don’t do abuse but I do think one or two of us are jumping the gun a bit. We were without two of our main ball winners against Rotherham (Gape and Thompson) and I doubt whether Bloomfield, Pattison and Freeman have previously played together (and in unfamiliar positions). Add to that the fact that Kashket and Horgan had only previously played 20 minutes together and it’s not difficult to understand why we could do no better than hold a very tall and physical Rotherham side to 0-0 for 90 minutes.

I also think it is by no means a certainty that Rotherham will prove to be one of the “easier” sides we’ll encounter. The more, shall we say, sophisticated tica taca sides might allow us more space and have difficulty dealing with our more direct, constantly pressing approach.

• @Malone said:

@floyd said:
    Blackburn Rovers (a) on Saturday. In a league game. Doesn't that put a skip in your step and a smile on your face?

It's incredible - playing a league winner from Premier league era, as equals in the same division!
    Such a shame we can't physically be there, but we'll soon get over that with a good result.

I know I have regular thumb downers whatever I post...but bizarre that someone was so offended by this one from Malone. It's a crazy Gasroom!

• @YorkExile said:
    Why are people still writing off Thompson? I really don't get it. I don't know what the issue is with his fitness, but he was frequently our best player bar none in League One. I believe that there's every chance he can make the step up.

Freeman, however, is painfully clearly not ready to start in the Championship. If we can bring a couple in and loan him out to start 30 games in League One this season, then we could have another look. Yes, he can pick a pass. But let's not pretend he "might be more suited to playing in the Championship" as has been claimed by a few on here. He needs games to develop and he won't get them here unless we have a real problem with injuries and recruitment.

I like Pattison a lot, he works incredibly hard. But I would very much bracket him with Bloomfield in that role and I don't think they should be starting together.

Final point, can we drop the "I trust Gaz and Dobbo know what they're doing" argument which seems to pop up so frequently. That's a given. We all trust Gaz and Dobbo. We are incredibly lucky to have them. But that doesn't preclude fans on a forum from expressing opinions or concerns on a whole variety of issues concerning the playing side of things.

You see, this is where the classic difference of opinions amongst football fans kick in.

I'm one who shared the opinion you quote some as having on Freeman. But it's definitely a bit wishful thinking. It's the hope that it's less furious and physical, and you get a chance to show what you've got etc.

I agree we shouldn't ever see Bloomfield and Pattison together, and I don't think we will do once Gape/Thompson are back and firing.

• @Wendoverman said:

@Malone said:

@floyd said:

I know I have regular thumb downers whatever I post...but bizarre that someone was so offended by this one from Malone. It's a crazy Gasroom!

Clearly some would prefer to be there, but not get a result!

• Just let the boys play football, I don’t think any of them are particularly ready for the championship, it’s the same team that struggled in league 1 and also the same team that got promoted, I don’t remember any of them ripping it up in league 1 where we were saying, they’re too good for this league, like Eze did in the championship for QPR, which got him a move to the premiership, it’s all about opinions, I think Thompson is quality and can def play in the championship, others think Gape is, but to me, Gape is best, a league 1 player, Pattison was either left at home or sat on the bench last season, was basically told he could leave, came back for play offs and gaffa Has now started using him, championship quality, I don’t think so, let’s look at it after 4 games, Blackburn, Swansea, and Luton , real championship teams, I’ve a feeling there is going to be many players being found out at this level, so just let them enjoy this season and see where it goes, Luton saved themselves on the last game of the season winning 14 games and lots of draws, to avoid relegation are Wycombe going to beat 14 championship teams?

• Slightly odd @Gooner1963 to describe as “struggling in League 1” a squad that occupied one or other of the top six places for the vast majority of the season and at one stage was seven points clear at the top.

I think you do a major disservice to Alex Pattison, a talented young player who only turned 23 a couple of weeks ago. I can’t recall the details but I believe he had a very torrid time emotionally last year after the death of a close family member. He has come back in better physical (and no doubt mental) shape and with renewed determination to show how good he is. I was unaware that he was “basically told he could leave” but I defer to your better inside knowledge.

• I guess they meant the previous season when they talked about struggling in League One.