Skip to content

Uche Ikpeazu signs

Comments

• I always liked Andy Townsend as a co-commentator.

Kept it simple, let the commentator do his job, and just what was needed.

Unfortunately he sort of became a meme, which was unfortunate when you see some of the jokers who get gigs these days.

• I do think some ex-pros could bring a lot more to the table for the top level games. Listening to the Wycombe players such as Bean, Smyth, Grimmer and Sido alongside Phil was a delight, as they always have some insight or other that is unusual. Obviously they benefit from being involved with the club one is watching and supporting, but they were still so dynamic and fun.

At the Premier League level, as @Lloyd2084 intimated, it often seems to be a regurgitation of a cliche, or saying the same thing as the main commentator in a more informal way.

There is so much more I would love to hear about. For instance, if Klopp is so great (which he is), who influenced him? And why were they great? And what is the history of that school of thought? I would love to hear more about the history of tactics and formations in general, where relevant.

Also, the psychological angle - how does it feel mentally to come on as a 89th minute sub? How does it feel to move across the country after a transfer, and what are some of the attending emotional and mental elements that the average punter would not be aware of (Bean talked about his move to Blackpool in very interesting terms, on his podcast)? If "losing the dressing room" is a real thing for a manager (which I assume it is), how does it feel to be a player in the middle of that process - is there usually a divide between players? Is it spoken or unspoken?

These may be clumsy examples, but I am astounded when some ex-players, who lived and breathed the game, cannot offer any new insight over the course of an hour and a half besides someone "wanting it more". There are obviously lots of exceptions, so by no means tarring all with the same brush.

• Idk about best, but Steve McManaman must be the worst.

• Mick McCarthy was a great co-co-commentator (first time I've ever heard three in the box) during the Championship play-offs.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Idk about best, but Steve McManaman must be the worst.

Robbie savage is worse....

By miles. His hubris about the superiority of the premier league, along with out and out xenophobia from start to finish during Man City’s defeat the other night was unbearable. The man is a barely coherent imbecile. And gets paid to be one.

• edited August 2020

Sam matterface is terrible in general...

• edited August 2020

@bigred87 said:

@chairboyscentral said:

Robbie savage is worse....

Savage strikes me as more of a wind-up merchant/'say it for the outrage' type (although it's been ages since I've heard him do a game) whereas McManaman is just bad.

• Sam matterface is terrible in general....

• BT Sport clearly brief their guys to be on the english team's side.

Even Rio Ferdinand seemed to be on City's side, which is bizarre.

Nothing matches Ian Wright's bias on Arsenal games though. Even the vaguest hint of being neutral or being objective is out the window if he's involved.

• @mooneyman said:
    So it was fine labeling Jon Parkin as a beast, but its not fine to use the same label for a similar type of player in ikpeazu purely because he is black. We seem to be gradually getting away from the premise that everyone is equal.

Totally agree @mooneyman. The world has gone bloody mad! I always take someone described as a Beast as someone whom is built like the proverbial outhouse. Never once had I thought it mattered what colour skin the described had! Maybe I should close the door and never venture outside between matches?

• Radio rather than TV but Jimmy Armfield is my all time favourite

Used to love Graham Taylor on the radio as well

• Worked with Jimmy in my radio days and totally agree. He was also a lovely guy who was liked and respected by everyone.

• If Bayo or Uche crack that joke then it's a green light, otherwise it's distinctly amber.

On Uche as a signing, he fits the bill perfectly, big and mobile, willing to work defensively and should be more of a goal threat than Samuel. He seems genuinely excited to be at AP in the interview and I'm looking forward to seeing him through the middle with Fred and Wheeler in support.

• A 3 year deal is a serious one for us - we've only really done that for players we're really backing in the last 5 years or so.

Will this totally relegate Bayo to cameos? Will Samuel still be the starter, or is Uche coming in in mind as the main guy

• edited August 2020

Would assume it'll be a 'load share' but with Uche taking most of the load? Although I also wouldn't be surprised if we sign another striker - a more 'typical' striker, a loanee who we can throw on here and there. But we've just paid a fee, so you'd expect him to get a lot of minutes.

• Who's stronger, Bayo or Uche...?

Would assume it'll be a 'load share' but with Uche taking most of the load? Although I also wouldn't be surprised if we sign another striker - a more 'typical' striker, a loanee who we can throw on here and there. But we've just paid a fee, so you'd expect him to get a lot of minutes.

It'd be interesting to know who these players are we wanted but couldn't get, that Gaz mentioned.

But he still seemed to suggest this was the signing he most wanted.

• Yeah, this definitely wasn't a compromise signing.

• Kenneth Wolstenholme was my sort of commentator, just gave the name of the player on the ball and little else. That's all you need to know, everything else you see with your eyes.

• I always loved Brian Moore. Not much chat, quite a few Exclamation sound effects. Class.

• @glasshalffull said:
    Worked with Jimmy in my radio days and totally agree. He was also a lovely guy who was liked and respected by everyone.

Got to agree Alan. I was introduced to him and his wife at their hotel near here. Made me feel totally at ease from the off, plus he invited me to finish his sarnies & cream teas. An invitation that didn't need repeating. Was a big fan of his before, but became almost God like to me after that!?

• I used to love Mark Lawrensons dry quips when he would co commentate.
    Jimmy Armfield on the radio for midweek sport special was a high in sports broadcasting.
    Honourable mention for Archie McPherson for our friends north of the border.

• @Steve_Peart said:
    Kenneth Wolstenholme was my sort of commentator, just gave the name of the player on the ball and little else. That's all you need to know, everything else you see with your eyes.

Totally agree. Absolutely right for his era.
    Nowadays, with big screens and names on shirts, Wolstenholme would be superfluous but so many barely draw breath. Jamie Carragher is one of the worst offenders, then there was the Sky guy very recently who @chairboyscentral kindly named for me (Gary something?). That Liverpudlian older commentator is pretty good.

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@glasshalffull said:
    Worked with Jimmy in my radio days and totally agree. He was also a lovely guy who was liked and respected by everyone.

Got to agree Alan. I was introduced to him and his wife at their hotel near here. Made me feel totally at ease from the off, plus he invited me to finish his sarnies & cream teas. An invitation that didn't need repeating. Was a big fan of his before, but became almost God like to me after that!?

He also had a wicked sense of humour. We did a game together in Eastern Europe (can’t remember where) and had to share a hotel room. After that he would always say when introducing me to someone: ‘Have you met Alan? We once slept together’.

• @micra Gary Weaver? I think he was the commentator for the Championship play-off final.

• Thanks @chairboyscentral. That’s him.

• For me, Peter Jones. The way he captured those electric midweek FA Cup replays of the 70s (“they’ll be singing in the valleys tonight” etc) for my junior ears listening under the pillow on my transistor - pure poetry.

• I had the privilege of working with Jonesy for several years, an absolutely brilliant broadcaster with a superb vocabulary and a magical ability to paint pictures with words. He did little research before games, but he was so good that he didn’t need to. Great company as well.