Skip to content

Big centre forward anyone?

Comments

• @Bacon_Sandwich I agree early on he looked exactly what we wanted...then injury...then struggled to get back into a consistent side. Fully fit I reckon he is a great prospect. If we could afford him or get him on loan again he is worth a punt to be sure.

• @Bacon_Sandwich said:
    I’m a bit surprised about some of these Smyth comments, I thought he looked dangerous when fit. The only hesitation I would have signing him would be his susceptibility to injury.

Gnanduillet is surely on the hit list. Anymore @chairboyscentral or anyone else?

Luke O’nien, Matt Ingram, Aaron Pierre, Randell Williams

Players that have a point to prove in the Championship and ones that know GA and the culture at the club.

• Sounds like a very desirable returning quartet. And the French guy would certainly provide physicality and, I assume, pace up front. Randell Williams might welcome a return to these parts (and the possibility of playing against Watford). I remember how well he played against Charlton at the Valley and his triple backward somersaults after scoring were a sight to behold.

• @Vincey said:

@Bacon_Sandwich said:
    I’m a bit surprised about some of these Smyth comments, I thought he looked dangerous when fit. The only hesitation I would have signing him would be his susceptibility to injury.

Gnanduillet is surely on the hit list. Anymore @chairboyscentral or anyone else?

Luke O’nien, Matt Ingram, Aaron Pierre, Randell Williams

Players that have a point to prove in the Championship and ones that know GA and the culture at the club.

Loved O Nien and Pierre. Not sure either would necessarily cut it in the division above. Williams i definitely doubt.

Ingram would be interesting though.

• edited July 2020

Indeed @Malone . Sometimes the people who come back feel they ahve unfinished business or have something to prove or feel they are not wanted where they are...I think Ingram and Rocky would be a great pair to have...not sure coming back would be good for the others or us to be honest. I'm sure 09 and Pierre are popular enough where they are and on a bigger wedge and of course Ketchup Nose Gate may colour any decision by AP. Remember a section of our own terrace were booing him...)
    I liked Williams though, but again not sure if he is what we need in the Championship (it's hard not to smile when you type that isn't it?)

• I've just realised I am doing exactly what I said I would not...

• Not convinced that O'Nien, Pierre or Randall would add anything to us or any other Championship side; Ingram on the other hand is still a decent Championship keeper.

• @Erroll_Sims said:
    Not convinced that O'Nien, Pierre or Randall would add anything to us or any other Championship side; Ingram on the other hand is still a decent Championship keeper.

Where is your evidence that Ingram is a decent Championship keeper. 10 Championship games in
    4 years for a middling team doesn't seem to indicate this.

Nice character, but has the same fault as Allsop in not dominating his area. I still think Jamal Blackman is the ideal guy to give Allsop some competition for the number one spot.

• There's a world of players out there and our appeal has gone up a notch now.

Even if we're low payers for the tier, we still provide a platform for second tier football. That attractive.

Look forward to seeing what the plan is over the next 6-7 weeks.

• @mooneyman As much as I hate to do the whole 'let's re-sign ex-players' thing, I would absolutely love to see Blackman back at AP. Proven in the Championship with a good Sheffield Utd side. Still has a year left on his deal at Chelsea, but obviously never going to get anywhere near their first team. Think he's both a realistic loan and eventual permanent signing (if he's prepared to take a 7,000% pay cut...)

Regarding Pierre and O'Nien, Pierre has a good couple of years to run on his deal and just won POTS for Shrewsbury. They paid £500k for him so doubt we could afford to offer him close to what they'd want for him. O'Nien, as far as I know, still hasn't signed a new deal at Sunderland. Can't really see him wanting to leave them for us, even now, but who knows? There must be a reason he hasn't signed on yet - and clearly not a money issue. Maybe he's just not happy there?

• Oh yes, Blackman would be a good signing. Looking at his stats...he's made more appearances for us than anyone else! :smiley:

• Surely it cant be true that Shrewsbury paid £500k. They are only an average Lg1 team.

Honestly can't see Blackman taking a pay cut of 7000%. Would fund our club for a good few years if he did though.... I think he was being lined up to take over as first choice at Leeds when he broke his leg. I know we have gone up in the world but even so maybe a bit optimistic now he is presumably fully fit.

• The step change in player valuations in this league is slightly scary...
    But if GA can work his magic in the championship on a few rough diamonds we could make enough money from a couple of players to change the financial situation of the club entirely now.

• Hopefully we'll see if Ingram is a good Championship keeper in the next few weeks. If he can't get into the side after his colleague concedes 8 then he can't be too highly rated by Hull - and if he can and keeps the clean sheets needed to keep them up then they may well not want to lose him. If he does well but not well enough to prevent them dropping down, then maybe he's worth pursuing. But I always thought of Allsop Mark 1 as an upgrade on Ingram and Blackman as vastly superior. If there's any chance of getting him back I really hope we seize it.

• Largely agree with the keeper sentiments. Ingram was an excellent shot stopper but was suspect at crosses and average with his feet... Which is a reasonable assessment of Alsopp.

Blackman was a level above, but his wage demands will reflect that. It's going to be a seriously tricky situation trying to bring in better quality without messing up the wage structure which is likely closer to league 2 than championship currently. Full confidence in GA, but it's going to be a tricky balancing act in keeping existing players happy while attracting some quality additions that are needed, no matter how much the club unity does help

• edited July 2020

I would be looking at signing Matty Taylor. He has bags of experience, always gives 100% and would fit in our system of pressing. Not sure on his character but he certainly would fit from a footballing perspective.

He's also out of contract now at Bristol City, is 30 years old and hails from 30 miles up the M40 from Wycombe.

• edited July 2020

I'd take Taylor all day long. Character is for Gaz to judge, but I've not seen anything in him character-wise on the pitch that has put me off. Well-rounded striker who would fit the system and may feel he has a point to prove in the Championship. At 30 and as things didn't work out for him at Bristol City, he's probably not gonna attract much attention from established Champ clubs. These 'gap between L1 and Champ' players are the kind I suspect we'll be looking at.

• We might also have to sign Jordon Rhodes. Only three goals this season, but we all know what he's saving them up for...

• @Jonny_King , i also doubt that 500k for Pierre!

I had a a dip around google, and there was a story talking about 500k, but nothing certain about the actual fee.
    Instead it was the classic "Undisclosed" job

If you have 500k to shell, you surely don't boot it all into a centre back at league 1 level.

• @wwfcblue said:
    I would be looking at signing Matty Taylor. He has bags of experience, always gives 100% and would fit in our system of pressing. Not sure on his character but he certainly would fit from a footballing perspective.

He's also out of contract now at Bristol City, is 30 years old and hails from 30 miles up the M40 from Wycombe.

Character?
    Left Bristol Rovers for City!

That says quite a few things!

• @Malone said:

@wwfcblue said:

Character?
    Left Bristol Rovers for City!

That says quite a few things!

I'd be on the phone to him right now purely for that reason.

• Omar Bogle might be worth a look. A few question marks for sure but, if he’s motivated, he’s a decent player. If there was a manager who could get him firing, it’s Gareth.

• @malone @DevC That was the figure I heard, No idea if it’s true, and I too was surprised to hear that Shrewsbury were splashing that kind of cash. Mind you, they have recieved some big fees for players in recent years (sold someone to Bristol City for quarter of a mill a season or two ago) and apparently broke their transfer record of £170k to sign Ollie Norburn, so they clearly have some money to spend.

• Was listening on the radio and they was saying it's a buyers market this season..so many players being released from their clubs.Personally would leave Blackman with his wage demands..let's get a young gk on from the premiership.

• I can barely remember the names of my own children, so mostly have no idea who any of the transfer speculation is about, and I enjoy reading it for that reason.

Omar Bogle I remember looking up last time he was mentioned though, hard to forget that name.

• @Aylesburyblue said:
    Was listening on the radio and they was saying it's a buyers market this season..so many players being released from their clubs.Personally would leave Blackman with his wage demands..let's get a young gk on from the premiership.

This seems the best idea.
    Premier league teams stack up the keepers, and championship is great experience for them, especially if they think they'll get lots of practice here!

• Bogle fits the bill if he would come/ we could afford him

• On a technical note anyone know if we are having a close season or just a couple of weeks break before a possible mid September start?

And is the transfer window open (if there is one)?

• @bookertease said:
    On a technical note anyone know if we are having a close season or just a couple of weeks break before a possible mid September start?

And is the transfer window open (if there is one)?

Would be interesting to know.

It'd also be interesting to know how much of the lockdown was officially a break as well.

With 2 months to the new season though, I'm sure our fitness guys will have them up and ready. They did a superb job v Fleetwood. Shell shocked them

• International window 27th July - 5th October, domestic-only window 5th-16th Oct. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53417773