Skip to content

PPG Applied in France

Comments

• @eric_plant said:
    Phil Parkinson seems to be suggesting we forget about the season we've already had and have like an 8 team mini tournament to decide who goes up

The desperation of these fools is utterly embarrassing. Meanwhile we should just keep our dignity and rise above it all. Ainsworth is worth a hundred Phil Parkinsons

It makes me cringe... I genuinely feel embarrassed for them!

• edited May 2020

Another chairman / CEO giving a sensible viewpoint.

• Generally speaking, people with actual ‘blockbuster’ legal cases don’t shout about it.

• @OX66 said:
    The way things are I would rather not be promoted , a number of clubs appear to have a strong dislike for us for one reason or another. Promotion with ppg method will never be forgotten by the so called big teams in particular poxford , promotion on merit after a full season would feel so much better.

Sorry OX66 but you’re assumption is incorrect. The fans of a number of clubs may dislike us, but not the club’s themselves. On the contrary, we are well thought of and admired as a club who do the right things off the field and punch above our weight on the field. As others have said, an opportunity like this may never come round again and if we were to win promotion by any means the financial benefits would be enormous.

• Reading those latest quotes about the ‘plan’ for Ivan Toney etc, our friend seems to have a very effective crystal ball so perhaps he can tell us when lockdown will end. As for the ‘blockbuster case’.....lawyers see chance to make money shock!

• @glasshalffull said:

@OX66 said:
    The way things are I would rather not be promoted , a number of clubs appear to have a strong dislike for us for one reason or another. Promotion with ppg method will never be forgotten by the so called big teams in particular poxford , promotion on merit after a full season would feel so much better.

Sorry OX66 but you’re assumption is incorrect. The fans of a number of clubs may dislike us, but not the club’s themselves. On the contrary, we are well thought of and admired as a club who do the right things off the field and punch above our weight on the field. As others have said, an opportunity like this may never come round again and if we were to win promotion by any means the financial benefits would be enormous.

The chance may never come round again?

That's not like you Alan

• @glasshalffull said:

@OX66 said:

I was talking fans rather then the clubs as such, if we were to win playoffs if they actually occur then fine . I know we are a respected club that wasn’t my point I would just prefer to be promoted with a squad capable of staying up there not sure we are ready yet. Of course this may be out only chance of going up.

• I keep saying it, but I wish we had just beaten Doncaster. That would have put us 2nd on PPG. Shoulda coulda woulda...

• We are (by a reasonable measure) the third best performing club in League One this season, and that in itself is remarkable. If three clubs go up, we deserve to be one of them. No one would have wanted to go up this way but, given the circumstances, it would be an entirely reasonable decision.

Whatever happens we can be massively proud of the way we have performed this season. And proud that we have Gareth Ainsworth as a representative of the club, a genuinely impressive and inspirational man.

• edited May 2020

If an extended 8-team play-off is deemed necessary because the likes of Ipswich and Doncaster are still considered to be within touching distance, surely Coventry & Rotherham should also be considered catchable and the automatic places must also remain up for grabs in any mini-tournament?

The whole thing is based purely on self-interest, and I hope the majority vote to follow the Lg2 lead.

• Does anyone know for a fact if all EFL divisions have to be settled by the same format?

• @Vital said:
    If an extended 8-team play-off is deemed necessary because the likes of Ipswich and Doncaster are still considered to be within touching distance, surely Coventry & Rotherham should also be considered catchable and the automatic places must also remain up for grabs in any mini-tournament?

The whole thing is based purely on self-interest, and I hope the majority vote to follow the Lg2 lead.

I was thinking this as well.

Especially Rotherham, who we would be level on points with if we won our game in hand.

• I do think it’s safe to say that we won’t see a unanimous decision to end the L1 season on Monday

• Any indicative vote needs EFL approval, right? So surely they can put their foot down and put the bully boys back in their boxes?

• If any of these ideas do go through, I'd love to see us upholding 'sporting integrity' by withdrawing from the whole farce. I'm sure it would cost us more than we could realistically afford to play the games anyway. Best to opt out and use the extra time to prepare for the eventual restart than demean ourselves participating in such a circus.

• @Vincey said:

@Vital said:

I was thinking this as well.

Especially Rotherham, who we would be level on points with if we won our game in hand.

Rotherham should very much be wriggling about a bit, as they were being hunted down by a number of teams.

• @Wycombe85 said:
    If any of these ideas do go through, I'd love to see us upholding 'sporting integrity' by withdrawing from the whole farce. I'm sure it would cost us more than we could realistically afford to play the games anyway. Best to opt out and use the extra time to prepare for the eventual restart than demean ourselves participating in such a circus.

This is exactly what Peterborough and the others want. Their extra financial clout hasn't worked on the pitch so they now see a chance to make it work another way.

• @Wycombe85 said:
    If any of these ideas do go through, I'd love to see us upholding 'sporting integrity' by withdrawing from the whole farce. I'm sure it would cost us more than we could realistically afford to play the games anyway. Best to opt out and use the extra time to prepare for the eventual restart than demean ourselves participating in such a circus.

On the other hand, if this was to happen I'd much rather see us take part, win and keep them down.

• @DevC said:
    Could you briefly explain why you feel WPPG is less valid than PPG from a statistical theory point of view @username

I can, if I may. weighted ppg penailises those who have already played 'harder games'.

• The integrity of football translation the integrity of money... hopefully the season gets cancelled there's still 100s dying in the uk daily, the game has absolutely no importance at all in the current climate.

• I don't want to believe clubs could be so immoral, but are the 6 rebel clubs seriously going to attempt to financially strangle teams to secure a play off spot for themselves?

Plenty of their fans on forums agree that teams should be forced to forfeit if they can't afford to play on. We should not participate if any such ridiculous system is implemented

• The irony is that only one of the six teams stands to gain anything (and potentially none of them should a team like Wycombe win promotion using the preferred outcome of those six teams) - what happens then? Does Darragh then find a different way of showing how unfair it was, and how his team have been screwed?

• If this extended play offs happens in league one then it will be interesting to see if the two clubs in league two who were very close to the play offs (Port Vale and Bradford) change their minds about ending the season.

• edited May 2020

No way 18/23 teams vote for that, but if 17 vote for normal play-offs then it would only take Pompey - who've stayed very quiet and would make those play-offs under raw PPG - to abandon the 'Gang of Six' and we'd have a consensus.

• Is it me or is it time to start thinking about renewing contracts and who may be released from the first team?

• @thedieharder said:
    Is it me or is it time to start thinking about renewing contracts and who may be released from the first team?

Unfortunately, that might simply not be possible right now, there's a very real possibility of a season being played behind closed doors with a massively slashed playing budget.

We don't even know what league we'll be in

• @thedieharder said:
    Is it me or is it time to start thinking about renewing contracts and who may be released from the first team?

I would imagine that thought process has been going on for some time. Did Rob Couhig say as much during February or March? I would think each player would know where they are in the process.

I forgot that others now demand to know. How inconsiderate of them not to let us know these confidential discussions.

• Yep. Rob on a video chat basically said we'll keep "everyone" or everyone we want or something very adamant.

But it's a another difficult call to say the least.
    Everyone we have could carry on and do a job in league one. You definitely can't say the same on the championship.

• Wanderer and South London giving a good account against the Oxford lot. Falling on biased deaf ears though obviously.

Especially funny how they think only we benefited from Bolton's team of 8 year olds yet ignore the teams that drilled them 4 or 5 nil or Coventry who drew 0-0 with an even crappier version than we played.

They can accurately say we have a poor record but won't even admit to the superb home form and suggest we'd do well to win 1 of the 4 homes!

• Good listen from the guys at D3D4. The main host is an Oxford fan but his views are balanced and sensible. The League One discussion begins at around the 20 minute mark.