Skip to content

PPG Applied in France

Comments

• Just play the rest of the season as a knock out cup competition, all teams involved. Who knows Southend could be promoted

• edited May 2020

@Brownie said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    Steve Evans has piped up now, says he wants in on the play-offs. There's a surprise...

This 8 team play offs is happening isn't it.

I'm not convinced, if the EFL have anything about them (big 'if' I know) they'll realise the stupidity of it if Tranmere and - who knows, seeing as we've descended into anarchy - Bolton and Southend push for relegation play-offs. And what if the gang of six start stabbing each other in the back once it's clear the remaining regular season fixtures won't be played? Oxford, Fleetwood and Pompey are in the play-offs on PPG. In any case, 18/23 is a big threshold to meet.

• There doesn't seem to be any noise at all around Rotherham.
    How can they seemingly without any opposition just go up with a miniscule lead over so many teams?

Does anyone think they'd have held every one off and gone up?

• @Malone said:
    There doesn't seem to be any noise at all around Rotherham.
    How can they seemingly without any opposition just go up with a miniscule lead over so many teams?

Does anyone think they'd have held every one off and gone up?

Nobody will ever know but as the snapshot goes they were there at the time on footballing merit and as such are as justified as anyone else regardless of the minuscule lead.

I’m sure no-one else really thinks we would have managed to claw our way back up to 3rd (if that’s where we do end up) but it the criteria they apply takes us there we deserve it.

• @carrickblue said:
    Just play the rest of the season as a knock out cup competition, all teams involved. Who knows Southend could be promoted

Could even bring Bury back to even up the numbers!

• @chairboyscentral said:
    An insight into how Peterborough are run: https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/peterborough-united/peterborough-united-chairman-unconcerned-about-losses-almost-ps14-million-because-club-have-built-most-valuable-squad-their-history-1335703

MacAnthony effectively saying the losses don't count because (he thinks) the players are worth so much.

Maddison kicked up an almighty fuss in January and ended up joining Hull on loan for what I would imagine would be a rather small loan fee. He will then leave for free in July.

That episode may be part of the reason that MacAnthony is getting so irate now.

• @Last_Quarter That might well be my favourite post in the history of the Gasroom. And I don't even watch Game of Thrones.

• edited May 2020

Yesterday's NTT20 is well worth a listen. Sounds unlikely the three divisions will conclude via different methods and that there will have to be an "EFL-wide" decision - thought to be regular promotion, play-offs and relegation. Also sounds unlikely that there will be a consensus in the League One vote and like five or six variants of the expanded play-offs have been tabled. Plus confirmation of who proposed weighted PPG...

Starts off with Championship, gets more general from about 26:00 then into League One.

• You're too kind @drcongo. I've got plenty more where that came from if this drags on much longer...

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Yesterday's NTT20 is well worth a listen. Sounds unlikely the three divisions will conclude via different methods and that there will have to be an "EFL-wide" decision - thought to be regular promotion, play-offs and relegation. Also sounds unlikely that there will be a consensus in the League One vote and like five or six variants of the expanded play-offs have been tabled. Plus confirmation of who proposed weighted PPG...

Starts off with Championship, gets more general from about 26:00 then into League One.

Didn't need much working out on the weighted thing!

• No, but it's nice to know they've got nowhere to hide!

• Steve Evans has said he would prefer PPG as opposed to WPPG.

• @Gary said:

Steve Evans has said he would prefer PPG as opposed to WPPG.

He's already been weighted

• @Gary said:

Steve Evans has said he would prefer PPG as opposed to WPPG.

SE: “Further, to get everyone up to level games then average points per game needs to be added to those playing catch up with fixtures."

That's a bit tabloid to say he's specifically picking one of the options over the other, and sounds much more likely that he's just talking about the concept, rather than any version of it.

• You’re actually quite correct. One things for sure, he wants this extended play-offs to go ahead. Both PPG and WPPG sees Gills leapfrog Ipswich into 10th. Crazy to think that in January, it was a top-two clash between us and Ipswich.

• Gillingham are 8 points behind us having played a game more. There is no way on earth they should be in a play-off. If the EFL sanction that and at the same time automatically promote Rotherham, the bigger clubs' bullying is successful and fairness goes out of the window.

• edited May 2020

I think we should end the season in the normal way: 2 up, 4 in play-offs, 3 down. And if the play-offs can't be played then no one else goes up and that's just tough.

• @Vital said:
    Gillingham are 8 points behind us having played a game more. There is no way on earth they should be in a play-off. If the EFL sanction that and at the same time automatically promote Rotherham, the bigger clubs' bullying is successful and fairness goes out of the window.

Agreed. Rotherham being gifted a promotion seems to be beyond any sort of contention, on the sheer lotto of how things sat that one weekend of games.

What would have happened if we'd played last time out and won and were goal difference behind?

Gillingham shouldn't be anywhere near any play off talk. If that happens they'll be laughing at the cheek of it all.

• We should not have anything to do with this.

Over 500.deaths in the last 24 hours. Hundreds still dying every day. And League 1 chairmen and managers desperately issuing media soundbites wanting to be part of some ludicrous ten team tournament.

It's unedifying, it's undignified and it's ugly. We should have no part in it at all.

• The Oxford forum is as funny as it is tragic.

They gleefully talk about how our game in hand was against Coventry, who we'd likely lose to. When someone valiantly pointed out our next game is actually against Burton, they were told to fuck off back to the Gasroom.

• @Malone said:

@Vital said:
    Gillingham are 8 points behind us having played a game more. There is no way on earth they should be in a play-off. If the EFL sanction that and at the same time automatically promote Rotherham, the bigger clubs' bullying is successful and fairness goes out of the window.

Agreed. Rotherham being gifted a promotion seems to be beyond any sort of contention, on the sheer lotto of how things sat that one weekend of games.

What would have happened if we'd played last time out and won and were goal difference behind?

Gillingham shouldn't be anywhere near any play off talk. If that happens they'll be laughing at the cheek of it all.

I really can’t see your logic here. If you accept the idea of a PPG type approach to take account of the inability to finish the season it’s immaterial if one club is a fraction of a point ahead of another or 6 points. You can’t apply an arbitrary ‘well its close’ to change the new ‘rules’ and just have to accept that’s how it is.

So if the EFL do agree (wrongly in my opinion) that the play offs should be 3rd to 10th and Gillingham are 10th on PPG good luck to them. Yes they have had a slice of good fortune, but similarly so would we if we end up 3rd through the same process.

• I should clarify I don’t wish them good enough luck to beat us of we play them in the play offs!

• I do find it quite funny that Coventry would definitely beat us. Just like we (unbeaten at home) would be definitely likely to beat Coventry (yet to win away I seem to remember) at Adams Park.

• @bookertease said:

@Malone said:

@Vital said:

I really can’t see your logic here. If you accept the idea of a PPG type approach to take account of the inability to finish the season it’s immaterial if one club is a fraction of a point ahead of another or 6 points. You can’t apply an arbitrary ‘well its close’ to change the new ‘rules’ and just have to accept that’s how it is.

So if the EFL do agree (wrongly in my opinion) that the play offs should be 3rd to 10th and Gillingham are 10th on PPG good luck to them. Yes they have had a slice of good fortune, but similarly so would we if we end up 3rd through the same process.

Would the league have gone for two auto places (if they do?) if it had been currently only separated on goal difference? Probably not as easy to do id suggest.

8 team play offs are a farcicial idea just designed to swerve big club complaints.
    It's not a stretch to have seen similar complaints if 2nd and 3rd were miniscule gaps.

• I actually think they would as it seems much more preferable to any alternatives. Where would you draw the line on what is too close?

• Wouldn't just promote teams automatically on goal difference for sure. But i take your point it's awkward.

Top 2 and playoffs 4 works i suppose irrespective of margins as that's the rules teams work to.

But once you start perverting the playoffs to more teams, there is no reason you can't review auto places.

• @Malone said:
    Wouldn't just promote teams automatically on goal difference for sure. But i take your point it's awkward.

Top 2 and playoffs 4 works i suppose irrespective of margins as that's the rules teams work to.

But once you start perverting the playoffs to more teams, there is no reason you can't review auto places.

If the Premier League can't finish though, Bournemouth will be relegated having a one goal worse difference than Watford!

• @mooneyman said:

@Malone said:
    Wouldn't just promote teams automatically on goal difference for sure. But i take your point it's awkward.

If the Premier League can't finish though, Bournemouth will be relegated having a one goal worse difference than Watford!

They'll finish though.
    Money always finds a way.