Skip to content

Season extended indefinitely

Comments

• edited March 2020

Sounds like the National League are going to void their season. And tbh, if they do that, fine. The EFL and Premier League can't be dictated by what non-League decide to do. https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/national-league-void-season-premier-league-and-efl-a4397136.html

• Not sure why the non leagues are making this decision now, but to me it looks like the Premier league and pro leagues are doing all that they can do.
    Namely say they ideally want to finish the season.

As time moves on I'd imagine it'll become crystal clear that this won't be possible, but we'll watch with interest.

• edited March 2020

Would there be that many doubts about the integrity of League Two if no one went down? It's already been damaged by the loss of a relegation spot after the season had started. It would just be one of those things. League One clubs could kick off and mount legal challenges if they're relegated but no one is from League Two, but would they stand up when the reasons are fairly obvious? Unless the season is completed - the only way to keep all parties happy, at least in the professional game - there's going to have to be an element of 'Get over it' in all this, frankly.

Also, the idea that the Premier League would be dictated by what Boreham Wood and Maidenhead want to do is hilarious.

• @Malone said:
    Not sure why the non leagues are making this decision now, but to me it looks like the Premier league and pro leagues are doing all that they can do.

As time moves on I'd imagine it'll become crystal clear that this won't be possible, but we'll watch with interest.

I've been thinking much the same. It's perfectly ok to wait and see isn't it?
    I can see why worldwide events such as the Olympics need to act early as they have many people involved and require so many people peaking in so many countries.
    A national football league can be restarted within a matter of weeks.

• It's certainly been a really weird season with Bury and Bolton and the ensuring walk over games, and unbalanced weekends with one team always missing a fixture.

In some ways, this massive mess now is a fitting end!

But you're right @chairboyscentral , the massive headache is that you have to apply all the usual awardings of champions, promotions, Europe and relegation, or none.
    That's hard for Liverpool who are a mile clear, but you can't have as one paper crazily suggested, them champions, no Europe, no relegation, and Leeds and WBrom promoted!

Those teams are only 6-7 points clear for goodness sake! Imagine the outrage from those below.

• Will we have missed more Saturday fixtures this season before the stoppage or after assuming we would have played out as planned?

Certainly been an odd season

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Malone said:
    Not sure why the non leagues are making this decision now, but to me it looks like the Premier league and pro leagues are doing all that they can do.

I've been thinking much the same. It's perfectly ok to wait and see isn't it?
    I can see why worldwide events such as the Olympics need to act early as they have many people involved and require so many people peaking in so many countries.
    A national football league can be restarted within a matter of weeks.

Exactly. Maintain that the ideal scenario is that we re-start as soon as possible, and monitor it.

But have a very definite date in mind of when this cannot be possible, and the worst case voiding occurs.
    This will take a lot of high level negotiations with the money men at tv and sponsorships, as that really is the big issue here - the loss of money.
    The "lack of integrity" argument is a nonsense put out by those with most to lose - this is a world emergency!

On a personal level, I was wondering about Bayo. If this season/next season do get cancelled, he could basically have played his last game. A small footnote in the scheme of life of course, but that'd be a real shame.

• One thing that is being overlooked is if players wil be fit enough to go again without a proper pre-season. Ideally you need matches, not just training. https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/coronavirus-premier-league-season-fixtures-date-when-melissa-reddy-a9420901.html

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Will we have missed more Saturday fixtures this season before the stoppage or after assuming we would have played out as planned?

Certainly been an odd season

We've already missed 8, so almost I think?

• @chairboyscentral said:
    One thing that is being overlooked is if players wil be fit enough to go again without a proper pre-season. Ideally you need matches, not just training. https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/coronavirus-premier-league-season-fixtures-date-when-melissa-reddy-a9420901.html

To be honest a lot of us haven't missed that, and it's yet another reason why voiding might be the only option unless you accept totally revamping / cancelling next season.

You'd need the equivalent of a pre season (a month?), then the missing games (zoom through in 2months?)

And then what happens? Play the next season through? Or have the usual closed season period? Presumably you'd have to just wipe/heavily reduce this period, otherwise players are going to be battered physically half way through next season, as at the moment, I believe they're training solo, so aren't even on a closed season as such?

• To be fair, the longer this goes on, the less crazy cancelling next season would be. At least you'd then be able to go again as normal from 2021/22. They were discussing on Sunday Supplement the possibility of a calendar year season, but you'd only be able to have that every other year - undisrupted anyway - because of tournaments.

So this season could finish in October? Take November-January off, Euros in June-July. Would it be that hard to find a use for February-May?

Then again, who on earth knows what's going to happen tomorrow, let alone this time next year?

• @chairboyscentral said:
    One thing that is being overlooked is if players wil be fit enough to go again without a proper pre-season. Ideally you need matches, not just training. https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/coronavirus-premier-league-season-fixtures-date-when-melissa-reddy-a9420901.html

Bayo (whose fitness involves a lot of weights work I imagine) against some wheezing centre backs...

In all seriousness for players who don’t have a home gym and pitch in the garden then maintaining fitness with one run or bike a day must be impossible. Even the premier boys in their mansions will be far less fit than usual after a break.

I’d argue that if restrictions continue over a few months then conditioning will be worse than after any off season for decades. I don’t want to see injuries due to this.

• Five-a-side to settle it?

• Most of the non league players are effectively amateurs and have other interests in the summer e.g. playing cricket, tennis etc. and trades/occupations that may take up more of their time, It seems to me that bearing in mind there is no chance whatsoever of teams like Chesham Utd managing to complete their fixtures by June their decision to void is common sense.

Additionally non league pitches are not of the standard of Premier or EFL clubs as they do not have the money or staff to maintain/renew them. Reseeding etc cannot be done for the next season if you are playing throughout the summer.

• Reading many of the comments on here there seems to be an idea that the season is likely to restart in the not too distant future That seems unrealistic in the present situation however much we all wish it to happen. The options seem to be to close the league tables off as they are or apply statistical models to forecasting the results of the missed matches. Neither course of action is ideal but something will eventually have to be done. After this nothing will be the same again and that means not just football.

• I'd be surprised if it restarts before August at the earliest, but I expect it to restart.

• @wingnut said:
    Reading many of the comments on here there seems to be an idea that the season is likely to restart in the not too distant future That seems unrealistic in the present situation however much we all wish it to happen. The options seem to be to close the league tables off as they are or apply statistical models to forecasting the results of the missed matches. Neither course of action is ideal but something will eventually have to be done. After this nothing will be the same again and that means not just football.

They can't apply current or amended tables. That's a legal no go.

The options are simple. Play it when it's eventually fine, or void it.
    How to do either is absolutely massively difficult.

• The NL’s decision is tough for the clubs, but makes sense for the individual players, most of whom aren’t professionals.

I think the PL and the EFL are committed to finishing the 19/20 season (as they should be) whether the conclusion comes in July or November. As others have suggested, the longer this goes on the more likely it is that next season is the one under threat.

• If the National League season is voided, that potentially leaves room for a sensational Bury return to League Two next season?

• Can’t the clubs finish the leagues online using EA sports FIFA 20 . Broadcast it on you tube , select players to take the controls and off we go.

• @Stewie63 said:
    Can’t the clubs finish the leagues online using EA sports FIFA 20 . Broadcast it on you tube , select players to take the controls and off we go.

Leyton Orient are already hosting a massive FIFA tournament. Dave Carroll's son is representing us.

• I cant realistically see any football returning before September earliest less there's a major breakthrough with the virus.....

• I don't like cricket or golf and me holiday is off so I'm hoping for the season to return and end and we celebrate in the heat of the summer...but as they are deciding O and A levels which are possibly more important than football without final exams...its a possibility that the Pools Panel might have to reassemble! There is every chance the virus or another one will hack it's way back next winter...hopefully with all our present experiences we will all be better equipped at a local and national level to get on with it. Just off to a street BBQ...

• Only other sports I like are cycling and American football, so that's me buggered too.

• I never imagined you to be a cricket hating heathen @Wendoverman!

• @mooneyman said:
    I never imagined you to be a cricket hating heathen @Wendoverman!

Yup...never been to Trent Bridge in my life. Hated it when the telly was disrupted for Test matches. And I am indeed a heathen. But it takes all sorts...

• The national league's statement says the options are PPG or void. I believe it really is that simple for them, no fancy formulas or exceptions. Voiding would be my "bookies favourite", but I don't doubt that they're seriously considering the other option - which could be huge for us.

• @Username said:
    The national league's statement says the options are PPG or void. I believe it really is that simple for them, no fancy formulas or exceptions. Voiding would be my "bookies favourite", but I don't doubt that they're seriously considering the other option - which could be huge for us.

Could you imagine if we got away with the PPG thing! Just when for the first time in months we weren't games ahead of teams!

And also with 6 aways and 4 homes left!

No chance that'll happen.

• I

@Malone said:

@Username said:
    The national league's statement says the options are PPG or void. I believe it really is that simple for them, no fancy formulas or exceptions. Voiding would be my "bookies favourite", but I don't doubt that they're seriously considering the other option - which could be huge for us.

Could you imagine if we got away with the PPG thing! Just when for the first time in months we weren't games ahead of teams!

And also with 6 aways and 4 homes left!

No chance that'll happen.

As I said, I expect it to be voided, but if some sort of current standings are used to dish out promotions/ relegations/ titles, then PPG is the most likely thing they'll use, as there's no universally accepted way of predicting future scores. It will have to be done solely from games played already, as well as the fact it was specifically mentioned in their statement.

• Imagine how much we'd be hated if we went up on PPG.