Skip to content

Season extended indefinitely

1171819202123»

Comments

• I remember him writing a massive rant about how ifollow could kill his club as no away fans would bother going anymore and they wouldn't get any revenue.

Sounded logical.

But then it became apparent you can opt out of the platform!

• Dead rubbers for some teams at the end of a season happen, timing doesn't affect that, hard to see that professional players wouldn't want to play. In the Prem there is a significant prize money per place difference that somewhat covers this and focuses owners, not sure about our league.
    Behind closed doors games at our level are financially going to be a huge cost though. Would hope some fans would be willing to chip in per person per game for ifollow but would they get season ticket money back? Big mess to come whatever happens.

• I wouldn't chase up the club to refund the remaining games and i expect most would say the same.

However id expect them to give us the ifollow action free if that goes ahead as compensation.

• edited April 2020

I think the key issue is the potential substantial additional cost of isolating the squad, coaches, support staff etc for a six week period, presumably in a hotel. Additionally, who pays for the testing before each match. Unless financial help is available some clubs will inevitably tipped over the edge.

• This is an interesting idea to allow games to be shown on a big screen like a drive in cinema: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52347927

Allows for supporters to enjoy some form of collective viewing experience while adhering to social distancing requirements. If the FL do go ahead with games behind closed doors I'd be interested to know whether clubs might be able to implement something similar.

Of course it would add additional cost in the form of big screen/sound, organising the parking etc. So it may only be practical at a certain scale (i.e for bigger clubs).

It would also help to address some of the concerns about the possibility of supporters congregating on foot outside stadiums.

• I’m all for finding innovative ways, but this seems like a terrible idea.

The cars either all sit there with engines on and ac running or people open windows, negating the benefits of being in a closed environment.

Most modern cars couldn’t cope with having a radio on for 90 minutes without a charge, let alone climate control.

• edited April 2020

Would take a heck of a lot of arranging.

• @Malone said:
    Would take a heck of a lot of arranging.

And usually an alien, dinosaur or Blob tends to attack those sorts of gatherings. I'm not keen.

• @Lloyd2084 said:
    I’m all for finding innovative ways, but this seems like a terrible idea.

The cars either all sit there with engines on and ac running or people open windows, negating the benefits of being in a closed environment.

Most modern cars couldn’t cope with having a radio on for 90 minutes without a charge, let alone climate control.

Just park 2m apart and leave the windows open surely?

• Perhaps it’s just my paranoia, but the little I know about virology suggests it doesn’t get the tape measure out to measure arbitrary distances. When you add in the propensity for footie fans to shout, cheer etc those droplets are going to carry quite a distance.

Ha, ha @Wendoverman. No Steve McQueen to save us this time!

• You can either have a massive throng of people in close proximity, or not.
    It's optimistic to expect 1,000s of footy fans to all file in nicely, and stay in their cars for a couple of hours.

• Cue jokes about parking the bus...