Skip to content

Season extended indefinitely

Comments

• edited March 2020

This is going to get ugly isn't it. Two other teams had already mathematically secured promotion.

• Voiding seems massively unfair to me... should at least try

• If EFL follow this then it means Bayo is no longer the clubs highest league scorer and presumably Bury are reinstated.

• You'd have to have a Bury to reinstate.

• If all records are scrapped I wonder how they would address player bonuses based on league positions. Or the owners could ask for all bonus money to be paid back...

• There's also the issue of fines for things which now technically didn't happen.

• So surely this has proven that voiding this season is to be avoided at all costs.

Utterly ludicrous set of consequences that should be avoided at all costs.

We don't need to make a decision now. Why are they?

• Do Manchester City have to return the League Cup trophy? If not, I assume all the players appearances records will stand.

• Genuine question, what happens to the FA Cup? Seven teams from the tiers who've voided their season were in the first round proper.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Genuine question, what happens to the FA Cup? Seven teams from the tiers who've voided their season were in the first round proper.

They were knocked out. So it makes no difference to the remaining fixtures.

But they may decide to wipe the appearance records.

The wiping of appearances and goals and stuff would be a real shame to any voiding in all levels. Thinking of Bayo and JJ in our team! Imagine losing the record and that hattrick!

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    So surely this has proven that voiding this season is to be avoided at all costs.

Utterly ludicrous set of consequences that should be avoided at all costs.

We don't need to make a decision now. Why are they?

Totally agree, if we need to void the season, and I'm not at all sure if we will need to, let it be because we tried but can't continue not because some people are impatient and Sky Sports news don't have anything better to discuss.

• I can't of a single good reason to void this season now and can't really see what reason might be valid at any point at the moment.

• There is no reason at the moment.
    But there's plenty of reasons in the future, as we've painstakingly debated back and forward.

But we'll watch with interest.

• Another reason I'm pretty convinced the season will be completed is that the virus, if it comes back, will cause disruption regardless of what season we're on. Better to finish one that's already been disrupted than start another one only to stop after a few months and be left with the same problem. And if this one was voided, we could be waiting indefinitely to start the next one.

• Spot on. Until a vaccine is released, let's pick up from where we left off after every disruption.

• @chairboyscentral, so far the FA Cup hasn't been declared void so no team's record in that competition is yet affected (nor their prize money).
    It's only the league records which have so far been voided. Each competition record stands alone so Man City have won the League Cup. Maybe that will be the only competition that gets completed in season 2019/2020.

• edited March 2020

In the words of our dearly departed Richie 'the season won't restart while ive got a hole in my arse'.......... the world's gone into shut down, realistically sports are of no importance at all i don't understand the delusional comments from the Southampton chairman thinking it's going to start again soon.... get real we are facing the unknown. Stay safe gasroomers xx

• Come back Richie all is forgiven.

• At least if the season is voided I can avoid relegation from @DevC’s prediction league

• @bookertease said:
    At least if the season is voided I can avoid relegation from @DevC’s prediction league

But I was confident of a very late surge to top the league. I will be very disappointed if things are voided. Legal action is not off the table...

• I still don't see how you can get to a stage where it's safe for small gatherings (i.e. 36 players + staff) but not large ones. Then again, the leagues won't get to make that decision.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    I still don't see how you can get to a stage where it's safe for small gatherings (i.e. 36 players + staff) but not large ones. Then again, the leagues won't get to make that decision.

There could be bounces where the rate becomes very low but with possiblity of it returning, or a partial cure that helps if not irradiates is found, and if that's the case it won't be possible to lock everything down for ever so smaller events become at least legal for a while, all a fair way off and very uncertain though.

• Too early to say but I suspect it would involve testing all squads (playing staff and management both) using two types of test to identify:

1. Who has the virus?

2. Who has had the virus and recovered?

It’s a little way away to have the volume of tests but I think that will be the approach to health service workers as soon as we can, for example.

That action plus random sampling of the population using the same two tests will help the government to make the right decisions to safeguard public health and to try to ensure,that the NHS is not overrun. Testing is probably the number one priority right now, that and building capacity in the NHS to support these objectives. These two are probably linked as well as many NHS workers (those with symptoms or vulnerable contacts) will have to stay home right now until they are tested and that could be reducing NHS capacity?

Did people see the results of the tests on the AFC Portsmouth? c.10% tested positive (5 out of 48 staff were tested I believe).

• NHS staff testing is being rolled out next week. I wonder if they'll also get the appropriate protective gear they're crying out for...

• I hear Mr Dyson has a lucrative government contract and is building qualified nurses to man his new ventilators in his factory in Singapore.

• How are these people getting tested so quickly when they have mild or no symptoms yet NHS staff can't get tested?
    They certainly don't fall into the over 70 or with underlying chronic conditions category that has been used to justify testing of Prince Charles and Camilla.
    I accept that they have been in contact with someone who themselves has tested positive but so have our frontline NHS staff and social carers.
    Something is truly wrong somewhere.

• edited March 2020

Reasonable for the PM to get tested whoever they are, but with Charles it's just privelege - as it is with all these celebrities getting tested. As for the ventilator situation, it's an absolute shambles, from missed emails meaning we missed out on an EU scheme we were still allowed to join, to the government seemingly ignoring a firm who had 5,000 ventilators ready to go and contacting Dyson and JCB (obviously just a coincidence that they're Tory donors) instead.

• @Twizz said:
    How are these people getting tested so quickly when they have mild or no symptoms yet NHS staff can't get tested?
    They certainly don't fall into the over 70 or with underlying chronic conditions category that has been used to justify testing of Prince Charles and Camilla.
    I accept that they have been in contact with someone who themselves has tested positive but so have our frontline NHS staff and social carers.

Firstly I agree its wrong that NHS staff don't get the equipment and tests they need. Thing is though we don't have the tests or infrastructure to test without taking these staff away from wards to do them.

I have no problem with the heir to the throne and two of our senior ministers getting a test. Diagnosis for those do matter due to the jobs they do and the people they meet each day.

There are plenty of things to stress, worry and anger people at the moment. For me Boris getting tested isn't one of them

• edited March 2020

@Twizz said:
    How are these people getting tested so quickly when they have mild or no symptoms yet NHS staff can't get tested?

You cannot genuinely be puzzled as to why the guy leading the country, and the experts leading the policy on dealing with this emergency are deemed essential to get tested and treated!

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Twizz said:

Firstly I agree its wrong that NHS staff don't get the equipment and tests they need. Thing is though we don't have the tests or infrastructure to test without taking these staff away from wards to do them.

I have no problem with the heir to the throne and two of our senior ministers getting a test. Diagnosis for those do matter due to the jobs they do and the people they meet each day.

There are plenty of things to stress, worry and anger people at the moment. For me Boris getting tested isn't one of them

Obviously we need to be able to test senior ministers when they show symptoms. If an outbreak were allowed to spread across the front bench and we were left with multiple govt ministers out of action it would creat a constitutional nightmare.

That doesn’t negate the fact that NHS staff should be getting tested as a priority, but it would be a stupidly dogmatic to suggest that because we haven’t got the 100s of thousands of test kits needed for the NHS we cannot spare a handful to test senior ministers.