Skip to content

Season extended indefinitely

Comments

• @Lloyd2084 I live in Widmer End, are you local to this area mate?

• When the government keep giving us "advice" that is lovely and that, but like the above, people will largely carry on. But they're in an awkward position about when and what they ban.

Sporting events for instance basically took the decision themselves, as the government couldn't actually ban large events.

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    @Lloyd2084 I live in Widmer End, are you local to this area mate?

We’re in Downley fella.

• I pass through that area on way to work, need any help?

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    I pass through that area on way to work, need any help?

Thanks at @EwanHoosaami but I think we’re good for now. We have a delivery slot for Sunday so can use up what we have in the meantime.

• To be fair @Lloyd2084 the great British public were told to ignore experts as scare-mongerers by some people (can't remember who) all this virus thing is Project Fear dontcha know?

• @micra said:
    Thanks for that @Wendoverman.

Also Kings Farm shop if you are round that way...loads of meat short queues if you want to be out and about. Pricey, but good quality. I would try the afternoon after the morning loony queues have subsided.

• Someone on the news literally said...if we stay indoors...well it's won hasn't it?

• @Wendoverman said:
    To be fair @Lloyd2084 the great British public were told to ignore experts as scare-mongerers by some people (can't remember who) all this virus thing is Project Fear dontcha know?

This guy as well:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/mar/20/coronavirus-wetherspoons-boss-says-uk-pubs-will-stay-open-as-long-as-possible?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

• @Lloyd2084 he needs to rake as much in as he can while he can...his main customer demographic is under threat from age never mind Covid-19.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Someone on the news literally said...if we stay indoors...well it's won hasn't it?

This woman here?

• @Lloyd2084 said:

@Wendoverman said:
    To be fair @Lloyd2084 the great British public were told to ignore experts as scare-mongerers by some people (can't remember who) all this virus thing is Project Fear dontcha know?

This guy as well:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/mar/20/coronavirus-wetherspoons-boss-says-uk-pubs-will-stay-open-as-long-as-possible?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Well he’s stuffed now.

I work in the NHS in mental health. I’ve spent the day calling service users to check on well-being and need. I have no physical health skills so won’t be called back into that area but colleagues may be. So I want to stay covid free so I can support my service users as best I can when my colleagues aren’t there. I want my service users to stay covid free because many are physically as well as mentally vulnerable. I want the population to stay covid free as best we can because if we don’t and hospitals are full of seriously ill covid sufferers then other seriously ill people will die who would otherwise have lived. I wish more people could see the bigger picture around that. Even young people need emergency care for accidents and rare health needs and capacity to provide that will become very limited unless we are very careful.

• The chaos in the shops seems to be almost encouraged and a fellow customer in a very crowded shop this morning expressed the view that it is engineered to bump off a fair proportion of the elderly population. I wouldn't go that far but something needs to be done to ensure that we are able to shop for essentials in reasonable conditions.

• edited March 2020

NHS staff and other key workers need priority windows too - or some stock held back for them. This picture says it all really:

• I know it’s easy to criticise but the nonsense that has gone on in our shops should have been stopped earlier. Hopefully the new rules limiting numbers of items and opening hours for the elderly/vulnerable and key workers will improve matters.
    Strange though these people who are so panicked about the virus they’ll elbow anyone else out of the way to get eight tubes of toothpaste don’t consider their close proximity to others in Tesco.

• @BuckinghamBlue said:
    I know it’s easy to criticise but the nonsense that has gone on in our shops should have been stopped earlier. Hopefully the new rules limiting numbers of items and opening hours for the elderly/vulnerable and key workers will improve matters.
    Strange though these people who are so panicked about the virus they’ll elbow anyone else out of the way to get eight tubes of toothpaste don’t consider their close proximity to others in Tesco.

That’s because they are not panicked about the virus, just panicked about not having enough toothpaste. Many many people think they won’t or can’t catch it or if they do it will be a mild cold. In Italy where people have seen the impact of this thing on their healthcare system they are not panic buying, perhaps because they realise the problem is not lack of toothpaste, it’s that if you fall seriously ill from anything, you can no longer get the best possible care.

• Let's be honest @Manboobs, if they catch this covid virus, I doubt brushing their teeth will be high on their "to do" list!

• I suspect that brushing teeth should actually be high on their to do list bearing in mind it's the main breeding ground for germs.

• To be honest symptoms can be mild. I'm not down playing this at all before people start having a go ! @Lloyd2084 has my deepest sympathy for what he and his family have gone through.

But I know someone who has now been tested as positive, the only reason they were tested was because they had to take someone else to hospital, they had showed no signs of the symptoms at all prior to this, and since the worst that they have had is headaches. So although what Lloyd went through sounded awful, remember not everyone will be the same. There is way too much doom and gloom around, which I believe is the main reason for the panic buying.

• We should be preparing for the worst case scenario, but how do you get it into people's heads that even in that scenario, panic buying wouldn't be necessary?

• @HolmerBlue said:
    To be honest symptoms can be mild. I'm not down playing this at all before people start having a go ! @Lloyd2084 has my deepest sympathy for what he and his family have gone through.

But I know someone who has now been tested as positive, the only reason they were tested was because they had to take someone else to hospital, they had showed no signs of the symptoms at all prior to this, and since the worst that they have had is headaches. So although what Lloyd went through sounded awful, remember not everyone will be the same. There is way too much doom and gloom around, which I believe is the main reason for the panic buying.

The ‘it’s mild for most’ argument is dangerous. For 15% of cases, as best the world can tell, it isn’t mild. No-one yet carries immunity to it. If say 50% of the UK population get it that’s 33,000,000 people. 15% of that is just under 5,000,000 quite unwell people. And we do not have capacity to treat 5,000,000 unwell people in hospital. Even if only 1% of the quite unwell need a ventilator to survive that’s 50,000. We do not have 50,000 ventilators. If we slow the spread then we won’t need 50,000 (and staff to use them) because we won’t need them all at once.

It may be no more lethal than seasonal flu but most people don’t get seasonal flu because, even without vaccination, they carry some immunity. In years to come we will carry covid-19 immunity but we don’t now and won’t until we’ve either had it or been vaccinated.

• I know 24 hour supermarkets are now closed from 10 till 6 for restocking but perhaps NHS workers with a valid ID card could shop outside of these hours so after a shift they can get stuff

• edited March 2020

I saw someone suggest some stock should be held back for those key workers who can't get to the shops until late in the evening - seems sensible enough.

• Paper mentioned that Tesco and somewhere else are opening 1 hour earlier on certain days just for NHS workers on showing their ID.

• Yes NHS staff all carry picture ID so they could show the card and shop as the shelves is being restocked, then the morning hour for the elderly and vulnerable.
    Good to see those private hospitals have finally found a use as strategic reserve for the NHS. I think once the crisis is done they should be just integrated into the system to me it always looked like queue jumping which in this country is a capital crime .

• I think that's a great idea to let NHS staff still go in at anytime

• @Malone said:
    Paper mentioned that Tesco and somewhere else are opening 1 hour earlier on certain days just for NHS workers on showing their ID.

Correct. And we all carry ID as far as I know.

And the release of private beds is excellent news. Big increase in capacity to handle acutely ill people with or without covid.

• @Manboobs Yes, beds that will be very much needed due to the public’s shockingly arrogant indifference to the biggest single issue of my lifetime. How people are so incapable of comprehending the basics, and exercising the simple rules, of social distancing is truly astonishing.

• I'd say we need something like this in supermarkets, but I don't have any faith in people paying attention to them.