Skip to content

Match day thread: Doncaster

Comments

• Josh Parker gets my vote.

Totally off-piste but can anyone identify the silver haired anchorman on Football Centre (Sky Sports) who is a vocal hybrid of Gary Lineker (your mate @Wendoverman) and Frank Skinner?

• Search me! Sounds familiar- I think as a print journalist a good many years ago. As a voice and accents ‘phile’ (whatever the correct word is) I was fascinated by the vocal hybrid that came into my head. I only flicked over briefly when looking for the latest Women’s T20 match. I think England will be playing India in the semi-final on Saturday. It’ll be very tough.

• Flippin’ ‘eck @LX1 ! I’m lost for words.

• edited March 2020

@micra said:
    Josh Parker gets my vote.

Totally off-piste but can anyone identify the silver haired anchorman on Football Centre (Sky Sports) who is a vocal hybrid of Gary Lineker (your mate @Wendoverman) and Frank Skinner?

Probably Rob Wotton

• Thanks @chairboyscentral. Not as white of hair there but that’s almost certainly him.

• @prufrock_91 said:
    I think Samuel does far more for the side, while mostly goal-less, than Parker would.

Haven't really seen much that would force him in the side over Samuel. Alex was fantastic v Blackpool, and never stops. I think the challenge is figuring out how to use him in the front 3, in a different way than we use Bayo.

He does Bloomfield esque work that a lot of fans either don't appreciate or don't see, but the management certainly do.

That said, strikers with such low goal outputs do put pressure on the rest of the team to score.

We've had a lot of goals from left back, but not nearly enough from anyone else bar Bayo.
    Fred would surely have been in double figures though

• edited March 2020

The abuse Samuel gets is disgraceful. All from the expert 'super fans', of course... It does sound absurd to say that a striker's main role isn't to score, but that's the reality in his case. If we had a 'prolific' striker, we probably wouldn't get that kind of extraordinary work rate and space creation - and they wouldn't suit our system as well. For next season, I'm sure we'll look to adapt and bring in more of a pure goal-scorer, but Alex has worked wonders for us while we've been financially constrained - and I'm sure he will continue to play an important role going forward.

• Can someone do a 'goals per min with Samuel on the pitch' vs when hes not?

• One goal every 76 mins when on, one every 63.5 when off - but individual impact isn't the best stat to look at in isolation.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    One goal every 76 mins when on, one every 63.5 when off - but individual impact isn't the best stat to look at in isolation.

What those stats do indicate though is approx one goal every seventy minutes of play, which seems low for a promotion chasing team. As mentioned above whilst all our strikers perform roles an out and out goal poacher would make all the difference.

• Good timing having Kashket back for the run-in then.

• @perfidious_albion said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    One goal every 76 mins when on, one every 63.5 when off - but individual impact isn't the best stat to look at in isolation.

What those stats do indicate though is approx one goal every seventy minutes of play, which seems low for a promotion chasing team. As mentioned above whilst all our strikers perform roles an out and out goal poacher would make all the difference.

Would be lovely but who is currently missing these chances Frannie Jeffers would be sweeping up? Or is it that our current strikeforce just don't find that space to create the chance?

A goal every 70 mins gives us about 57 for a 44 game season. Sounds about average?

• edited March 2020

We're joint tenth on xG/game - interestingly the same as Oxford - but joint 22nd in terms of open play, so we'd basically be stuffed without our set-piece strength. Our output was significantly better with Fred in the side before his injury, though (I haven't got figures for since he's come back, but I think we can see the impact he's making): https://chairboyscentral.com/2020/02/06/long-read-the-numbers-behind-wycombes-winter-blues/

• @chairboyscentral said:
    We're joint tenth on xG/game - interestingly the same as Oxford - but joint 22nd in terms of open play, so we'd basically be stuffed without our set-piece strength. Our output is significantly increased with Fred in the team, though: https://chairboyscentral.com/2020/02/06/long-read-the-numbers-behind-wycombes-winter-blues/

Still no idea what xG is but I am more interested in what counts as a set piece? Are penalties in that as that? My non stats based feeling is we don't carry much of a threat at corners (barring scoring directly) but are a decent bet for a goal from free kicks.

• I reckon we score more than the average from corners. Isn’t the average something like 3% of corners lead to a goal?

• edited March 2020

xG quantifies chance quality and is a very useful guide. Penalties shouldn't technically be classed as set-pieces, but add the two together (nine pens + 15 set-piece goals) and they account for more than half of our goals. From memory, we've scored three from corners excluding the two JJ specials - and ten from free-kicks.

• edited March 2020

@Chris said:
    I reckon we score more than the average from corners. Isn’t the average something like 3% of corners lead to a goal?

It's about that in the Premier League, but I wouldn't imagine it would be radically different at our level.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Surely the only question is whether or not Josh Parker can do the same high energy work as Samuel but with an added goal threat.

• I'm always surprised the Samuel / Kashket combination hasn't really worked, not that it's been tried that often. But in principle, Alex chasing a long ball, making space then laying it off to our fox in the box should produce dividends. Hate to bang on about it but the problem with Alex as front man is that his fellow wide attackers are often too far away from him to benefit from his hard work. I'm sure he'd work better in a system with two men up top playing much more closely together.

• @aloysius said:
    I'm always surprised the Samuel / Kashket combination hasn't really worked, not that it's been tried that often. But in principle, Alex chasing a long ball, making space then laying it off to our fox in the box should produce dividends. Hate to bang on about it but the problem with Alex as front man is that his fellow wide attackers are often too far away from him to benefit from his hard work. I'm sure he'd work better in a system with two men up top playing much more closely together.

I think they'd just both lose out too often to 6ft3 brick shithouse league 1 defenders.

• What kind of formation were we playing when Kashket was scoring for fun in 16/17?

• 442 with Sam Wood and PCH on the wings, as I recall. We also played a 442 in the marvelous Mawson season.

• I’d play 4 Mawsons, 4 Mawsons and 2 Mawsons.

• @Chris said:
    I’d play 4 Mawsons, 4 Mawsons and 2 Mawsons.

But Stockdale or Allsopp Chris???

• @Chris said:
    I reckon we score more than the average from corners. Isn’t the average something like 3% of corners lead to a goal?

Although my memory is somewhat aged, don't we score a few from the "second phase" of set pieces? Whilst not scoring many from "free kick to headed goal" as it were, I have a vision of us scoring a few from the "melee" that Bayo causes?

• edited March 2020

@EwanHoosaami said:

@Chris said:

Although my memory is somewhat aged, don't we score a few from the "second phase" of set pieces? Whilst not scoring many from "free kick to headed goal" as it were, I have a vision of us scoring a few from the "melee" that Bayo causes?

Most are from that second phase. Jacobson only has two assists (Bayo v Tranmere away and Stewart v Tranmere at home, although the corner for the latter came off their defender on its way through) and the only other 'first phase' one I can think of is Bayo v Peterborough (free-kick taken by Gape). I think the only other takers of free-kicks which led to goals were Allsop v Ipswich (flicked on by Bayo for Wheeler) and McCarthy v Bristol Rovers (I can't remember exactly what happened, but Charles ultimately got to the loose ball to score).

• The user and all related content has been deleted.