Skip to content

Match day thread: Doncaster

Comments

• Spot on, @chairboyscentral - considering how many "super fans" are out there, they don't half turn on the team at the first sign of trouble.

We were absolutely superb at times today. I am gutted simply because this was our least deserved defeat of the season.

• edited February 2020

As Gaz rightly continues to say, there's no pressure on us. If we were a club of Sunderland's size, there would be, but we're not. We're still in a crazy position and what will be will be - and that could well still be something incredible.

• @thecatwwfc said:

@micra said:

@thecatwwfc said:

@bigred87 said:
    3 on target 3 conceded..... pretty poor reading from a keepers perspective

Yeah that's definitely the keepers' fault

I’m sure you were being ironic with that point @thecatwwfc and, without having seen the goals (yet), it’s impossible to judge whether Allsop was at fault for any of them but, as I suggested earlier, any lack of confidence in a ‘keeper will inevitably have a knock- on effect on defenders’ confidence.

I agree with you. But to assume 3 shots and 3 goals mean a bad goalkeeping performance is beyond me. People need to lay off Allsop because for the first half of the season, you'd go as far as saying he was our "surprise performer". I actually think theres more to this Stockdale signing...ie- lining him up for next season.

I basically agree with you. Alsopp's performances this season have been an improvement on last season.

However, if we have ambitions to go for promotion to the Championship next season it is imperative that we upgrade the goalkeeping position and sign someone that commands the area à la Jamal Blackman.

• edited February 2020

I agree that we're probably lining up a permanent move for Stockdale in the summer.

• I would prefer to go for a keeper who has pride in keeping himself in a professional physical condition.

• edited February 2020

Just home from the game.

Great for thirty minutes. Attacked with some fluency and threat and pressed Doncaster into numerous mistakes and concessions of possession. They upped their game a bit after that, without doing anything especially great, and we didn't.

All three goals were awfully soft. Fred seemed to lose something after getting a knock in the first half. When he and Smyth were subbed, we lost all meaningful threat as well as an extra body in midfield that enhanced Doncaster's wide play.

In some ways, I found this more disappointing than Sunderland insofar as this game was eminently winnable. Still, at least I've seen us score away this season. Current record: Played 6. Drawn 1, Lost 5. Goals For 1, Against 12. Hideous.

• Yes, I’m not too downbeat after today. I thought we were much the better team until Fred took his knock in the first half. We were again much the better team when Bayo came on, and after we equalised I had confidence that we could go on and win. The second goal knocked the stuffing out of us sadly. While Rocky’s fumble didn’t directly cost us a goal, I suspect it will cost him his place. I actually thought Gape had a decent game, but I think it’s time to accept that Samuel shouldn’t be starting games when we have the options that we do. This is going to be quite a run in...

• edited February 2020

The CF options are Bayo, Samuel and Parker. I'm not against giving Parker a game or two there as the non-Bayo option but I've no particular feeling that he'd be a superior one.

• I’d have Bayo every time, but if he’s not starting surely it’s Josh’s turn.

• I think that is what Gaz will do next. Give Josh a start if Bayo is not starting. I think Samuel is great...such a worker...when he can add more goals to his game he will be fab

• edited March 2020

Samuel has been playing professionally for five years; if he was going to add goals to his game, I think he would have done so by now. His 'purpose' is to bring the players around him into the game. With our defence far from what it was, though, we do need to increase our attacking output and Parker could be the guy to make that happen.

• I'm a big fan of Samuel, I think he adds a lot to the team. But I must admit it could be time to give Josh a go to see what he could offer in that role.

• What makes anyone think Parker offers anything more when he's barely got a look in this season? Which must be based on performances in training being lesser than others, such as Samuel?

• Josh looked very lively off the bench at MK and in that Fleetwood game - has a go where Samuel wouldn't and looks much more likely to score.

• edited March 2020

What happened yesterday to start the Samuel debate? Seems a bit harsh that his goal scoring record is held up when his line play and general doggedness is ignored. He is a classic example of the constraints and advantages we have in our current squad. We can't afford enough quality to add goals to our reserve centre forward but we can get work rate and endeavour that a higher paid striker with more goals in his game might give.

Every team wants more goals and replacing Bayo will only really be an affordable option when he does stand down. This year we've got our 20 goal striker from Bayo and JJ. We need more goals from other areas. Our wide players haven't chipped in many. Wheeler, for example, was presumably expected to get near his previous totals pre QPR. Smyth and Aaron's were the loan additions we thought would get more. Fred has been injured.

The goal scoring area is not a problem about Samuel. Not heard his name mentioned for a while but I can't wait for Kashket's return.

• How was Darius Charles yesterday? I am getting concerned that his super human return to fitness and outstanding first half of the season is creaking to a slightly stiff and painful conclusion for him. He's looked less mobile as games go on in recent weeks for me. I am worried about him.

• And though they had been quiet in the lonely darkness for some days they did come from the wilderness weakly and angrily crying: put your optimism behind you for ye have only got this far by luck, shithousery and the playing of mates like what I said before a ball was kicked. You worship a false position and verily you will get done over by anyone half decent! As itbis written in the book of Trolls and there was a mighty twittering across the EFL and it was bad.

• and Jesus went into the wilderness for 14 days and 14 nights, as Bury had been expelled from the League so there was no game nexct weekend

• Having looked at a lot of forums across the league main issues discussed are goalie not good enough, need for a 20 goal a season striker, why is X not playing and managers only having a Plan A. If I was an Ipswich fan I would be far angrier than I am as a Wycombe fan.

• Brilliant above from the excellent Wendoverman, a real comedy talent!

• I haven’t seen us win on ifollow in 2020. I’ve met the enemy, and he’s me.

• @glasshalffull said:
    Brilliant above from the excellent Wendoverman, a real comedy talent!

Seconded. “A mighty twittering across the EFL...” comedy gold.

• I do despair for the half dozen or so people who, presumably, do not share the wonderful Wendoverian wittiness. A comedy talent indeed. Would love to make the bloke’s acquaintance (as I said last September when a few of us were arranging to meet at the village) but he seems to be a bit of a shrinking violet. Sorry @Wendoverman !

• Just follow the crisp trail @micra!

• “Never meet your heroes”

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    How was Darius Charles yesterday? I am getting concerned that his super human return to fitness and outstanding first half of the season is creaking to a slightly stiff and painful conclusion for him. He's looked less mobile as games go on in recent weeks for me. I am worried about him.

I thought he had an excellent game yesterday. Timing and positioning spot on although was harder to tell at the far end second half.

He was however mightily passed off with the comedy defending for the first goal

• @LeedsBlue said:
    “Never meet your heroes”

Nor your "celebrations"! I'll get me coat.

• @LeedsBlue said:
    “Never meet your heroes”

Wise words. Crisp crumb Keyboard warriors are never that impressive in real life.

• I think Samuel does far more for the side, while mostly goal-less, than Parker would.

Haven't really seen much that would force him in the side over Samuel. Alex was fantastic v Blackpool, and never stops. I think the challenge is figuring out how to use him in the front 3, in a different way than we use Bayo.