Skip to content

Match day thread: Doncaster

Comments

• Not sure what that makes us @floyd!

• Dreadfully disappointing result. We have played so brightly going forward! Three imminently avoidable goals cost us.

I have to credit GA for going for it, though.

• Absolutely incredible we lost that 3-1.

• Eminently? Sorry @Shev. You know what you’re going to get with me, especially when I’m as down as a duck’s back.

• 3 on target 3 conceded..... pretty poor reading from a keepers perspective

• @bigred87 said:
    3 on target 3 conceded..... pretty poor reading from a keepers perspective

Yeah that's definitely the keepers' fault

• A few quick thoughts:

1) Our attacking threat seems to either be great build up play with no real threat (without Bayo) or no build up whatsoever, but look like scoring whenever the ball's in the box (with Bayo). I like Samuel, and i see what he brings to the team, but it's got to be time to see if Josh Parker can do the same job with an added goal threat.

2) Is it just me, or has Dom Gape really gone off the boil recently? I'll bow to those with stats at hand, but he's been so ineffective recently that you almost start to wonder if he's decided to play somewhere else next season.

3) Allsop made two or three good saves, and none of the goals were directly his fault. That said, the back four looked panicked every time they were under pressure. Stockdale was overweight and lacking match sharpness when he arrived, but hopefully he'll be ready for the run in.

4) Doncaster were there for the taking. Slow to get going, out of sorts, under pressure from the home fans. Today is a massive missed opportunity.

• Disappointing but a few results wentfor us today.
    Oxford winning means they come in from no where to be a mere 3 points behind though.

See where we are in two weeks. Huge run in of 10 games now.

• Fortunately, other results mean the play-offs are still just about in our own hands ?

• If defenders’ confidence in the ‘keeper is compromised I suppose it could be argued that the blame may also occasionally laid at the ‘keeper’s door even if he (or she) could not reasonably be held responsible for failing to make a particular save.

• be laid.

• I just can’t see us getting anything other than a thrashing when we play Oxford. They simply miles better than us.

Hope I’m proved wrong though.

• That's the spirit!

• I suspect Gerry has an OX postcode. And at least one pacemaker.

• Totally on top in first half hour and between Bayo coming on and their goal - needed to get another one then. Fell apart after they took the lead and we went for it.
    Feels much less bad than MK defeat. Lucky with the other results.

• @Gerry47 said:
    I just can’t see us getting anything other than a thrashing when we play Oxford. They simply miles better than us.

I don’t think it will be that bad - they had to resort to “shithousery” tactics at the Kassam against us and I thought we held our own even with 10 men and key players missing - I don’t think they will relish the thought of playing us at our house and we will be well and truly up for it on the pitch and in the terraces !!
    I still think we have the ability to amass points in the high 70’s with the games we have left - what a season we are having.

Congrats to Bayo - what a guy.

• Home form will be crucial if were going to make top 6 and we simply have to beat southend away.

• Don't be like Gerry kids, no fun at all

• @thecatwwfc said:

@bigred87 said:

I’m sure you were being ironic with that point @thecatwwfc and, without having seen the goals (yet), it’s impossible to judge whether Allsop was at fault for any of them but, as I suggested earlier, any lack of confidence in a ‘keeper will inevitably have a knock- on effect on defenders’ confidence.

• edited February 2020

That one felt like a gut punch to listen to today. All teams around us (Oxford aside) dropping points would have made a result today, going into a week's break, absolutely perfect and really ramp up pressure on other sides.

While we sit and watch the results roll in next week, most teams around us have two games (Fleetwood actually have 3), before we play again - returning with a tough run of Burton (a), Oxford (h) and Coventry (a).

With all the obvious saving statements that we are in a great position, this season has been an overachievement (etc) noted, a result today could really have set us up before that run - I now fear we'll be playing catch up before long. Here's hoping we respond better to the break than last time around - though it coincidentally ended with a win against Burton first up (now wouldn't that be nice!) it preceded a pretty dreadful run of results...

• Quite a lot to be positive about really. Fred makes such a difference to the threat going forward and for the first 25 minutes of so we were well on top. He then got a knock and for the rest of the half Doncaster started to get back into it.

Second half started much the same but then Fred and Smyth switched sides and we suddenly looked a completely different side until we gave the soft second goal away.

After that we decided to experiment by playing without a right back which was interesting.

• @floyd’s analysis is spot on, although a bit harsh on Gape. I’m a fan of Curtis T but he was lacking today and I remain confused by David Wheeler, who disappears for long periods of the game.

Rocky’s limp first half fumble set the tone for the defensive panic. A pedestrian free kick that he presented to their shocked centre forward, who didn’t take the opportunity.

Didn’t deserve to lose that.

• @Gerry47 said:
    I just can’t see us getting anything other than a thrashing when we play Oxford. They simply miles better than us.

Based on them skimping a late win against some toilet today? Based on them being below us 34 games?
    Based on us narrowly losing there down to ten for 70mins?
    Which is it?

• @arnos_grove You're probably right on Gape, I haven’t seen anyone else mention it, so maybe I’m seeing things!

Agree about Wheeler, although I feel that’s a minority opinion too.

• @micra said:

@thecatwwfc said:

@bigred87 said:

I’m sure you were being ironic with that point @thecatwwfc and, without having seen the goals (yet), it’s impossible to judge whether Allsop was at fault for any of them but, as I suggested earlier, any lack of confidence in a ‘keeper will inevitably have a knock- on effect on defenders’ confidence.

I agree with you. But to assume 3 shots and 3 goals mean a bad goalkeeping performance is beyond me. People need to lay off Allsop because for the first half of the season, you'd go as far as saying he was our "surprise performer". I actually think theres more to this Stockdale signing...ie- lining him up for next season.

• Was pretty confident before the game and the way we started made me even more confident. Disappointing to go in half time 1 down.

Good goal by Bayo to get us back in it and we had a great chance from a well worked corner (we wasted most of our corners today). We looked pretty open at the back at times in the 2nd half. The 3rd goal of the game was crucial.

Still not to downbeat but believe with a bit more clinical finishing today we'd of got a positive result.

• Big fan of Wheeler but not in central midfield.

• edited February 2020

That third man in centre mid, the creative guy is without doubt the major player we're missing.

Wheeler is an interesting experiment, but it's probably the number 1 position we need to address in the summer, unless Freeman takes a major step up, or we either change tactics or tweak someone else's position.

• Have seen this defeat described as "disgraceful" and accusations that we've bottled it. You have to laugh or you'd cry. (On the gift that keeps on giving that is Twitter - where else?)

• I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it