Skip to content

Playoffs?

Comments

• Hurry up and get fit Fred!!

• @ValleyWanderer said:
    Hurry up and get fit Fred!!

Indeed, 18 goals in 9 games with him - 18 in 20 without.

• Post hoc ergo propter hoc

• Blimey @eric_plant, that's WAY beyond me!

• @eric_plant said:
    Just looked at all of our remaining fixtures and I think there is a real chance that we could arrive at the last game of the season - Accrington (a) - needing a win to secure a play off spot

Would you accept that now if offered?

Yes

• How many day trippers would that attract?

• I think I speak for all daytrippers when I say would prefer us to clinch it at AP the week before.

• @micra said:
    How many day trippers would that attract?

I can imagine the "limbs" to get a ticket now.
    Plus moans from kids who do 21 aways a season but don't have a sth so miss out.

• edited February 2020

I propose a priority system based on the number of Accrington aways you’ve been to before.

• The 12 o'clock kick-off might prevent as mad a scramble in the event there is something riding on it.

• @Chris said:
    I propose a priority system based on the number of Accrington aways you’ve been to before.

Imagine that.
    Some kid who just happened to have two accys but never held a sth or been to any other away outranking others

• @chairboyscentral said:
    The 12 o'clock kick-off might prevent as mad a scramble in the event there is something riding on it.

Good point..us day trippers will probably ifollow it.
    Or even tighter dig out a stream. Not that any of us know how to. Obvs.

• Brings back memories of that play off final season.
    I think we were due to play someone fairly close. Was it Stevenage? (Don't think it was Southend) until mawson scored that last min goal.

Meaning we instead faced a Saturday 630 or 530 mad kick off at Plymouth instead.

Are those deets right?

• I watched it on the telly at Adams Park as I recall. Free parking and the only mad thing was the queue at the bar.

• We'd take over the whole ground, it would be fine

• How good were those Plymouth games?

• @Malone: you seem to be creating an argot all your own! And who are these kids who’ve never held a season ticket holder? Not even when celebrating a late winner?

• @micra said:
    @Malone: you seem to be creating an argot all your own! And who are these kids who’ve never held a season ticket holder? Not even when celebrating a late winner?

I ended up hugging a total stranger for a last min draw v northampton a few years back. Sometimes it has to happen.

An even sillier one was holding off when we equalised in the last min a couple of seasons ago. Both me and the random just about containing it.
    Then scoring a winner and getting right in there.

• Now I’m not renowned for my optimism, but:

Looking at our remaining fixtures only one (Coventry) is an away game against a top 9 club and only 3 home games against clubs in the top 11.

I know the MK defeat is fresh and raw but it is unusual of us to lose to a club in the bottom half - that’s the only one this season - and significant mitigation in the absence of 2 standout (and vital) players in Bayo and Darius.

• Carrying on (didn’t mean to press ‘post’) we have 2 games against the top 7 compared to 5 against the bottom 7, 4 of which are at home.

To be at the top end of the table with that sort of run in we should be in dreamland.

We could do with Grimmer back I think and any return of Fred would be a bonus, but apart from Coventry away I think if we can get back to our solid organised best there aren’t any of those games that should scare us.

So 10th it is then...

• edited February 2020

Good post chief.

We just have to realise we're still in a superb position and remember what got us there.

15 games left, only 2 midweeks, and for the second of those, we should have Grimmer back, so McCarthy can slot in to cover for Darius.

Kashket and surely Fred, to give us a huge boost in late March for the last 8 games run in.

It really is all to play for. Only question, is can we put enough onions in the bag.

• @Malone said:
    It really is all to play for. Only question, is can we put enough onions in the bag.

On recent evidence, no, and we can't keep enough out of our own bag at the moment either - conceded 5 in 10 before the break, 20 in 10 since. The sooner we get Grimmer back, the better - if he's back in the next few weeks, I'd have him in ahead of McCarthy on their respective latest showings. But it's important to just have a settled back four regardless, as we've not been helped by playing seven combinations in the last ten games - although at least we now have an actual right-back fit.

• edited February 2020

If FIFA is anything to go by, playing Fred through the middle flanked by Wheeler and Kashket is going to bring us an absolute hatful of goals late in the season.

Might have to turn the difficulty down a notch though.

• Maybe that's it: we've been stuck on Legendary for the last couple of months.

• A couple of big clashes this weekend.

Peterborough v Oxford
    Sunderland v Ipswich

With 15 games to go, it's too early for any sort of must win game talk, but we could really do with winning Saturday!

Rovers have really dropped off, 13th position, with 2 draws and 3 losses in their last 5.
    However, do we ever find them an easy opponent?

In terms of form overall, Peterboro and Portsmouth are on a real roll and have won their last 4 a piece

• I think we definitely need something from the next two home games to give us a little boost. As I've said before, no-one seems very consistent and if PNL and Coventry's cup heroics mean they let the next game or so slip, all to the good. Peterborough will be up there but Pompey have a way of falling away at the vital moments.

• @eric_plant said:
    Post hoc ergo propter hoc

Vae post, haec !

• @perfidious_albion said:

@eric_plant said:
    Post hoc ergo propter hoc

Vae post, haec !

Close the gasroom, we have a winner!

• Incidentally, whilst the defeat at MK was obviously a setback, it’s worth noting that in recent weeks they have beaten Oxford and Portsmouth and drawn away to Coventry. Put into context, perhaps last week’s defeat wasn’t quite the end-of-the-world scenario being painted by some fans on the FB page.
    Thank goodness for the more thoughtful, measured approach of most Gasroom posters.

• edited February 2020

@glasshalffull said:
    Incidentally, whilst the defeat at MK was obviously a setback, it’s worth noting that in recent weeks they have beaten Oxford and Portsmouth and drawn away to Coventry. Put into context, perhaps last week’s defeat wasn’t quite the end-of-the-world scenario being painted by some fans on the FB page.
    Thank goodness for the more thoughtful, measured approach of most Gasroom posters.

Form is huge in football, and they'd won 4 of their last home games.

Let's hope such logic applies on Saturday v Rovers, who haven't won in 5 league games.