Skip to content

January business?

Comments

• What's all this "shipping out" nonsense? We have the BB Cup to win!

• @Malone said:

@micra said:
    Guys, please understand that my point relates to the inevitability that our ultra strong back five will be disrupted at some point. Whether or not we would then become more “expansive” is a moot point.
    Just saying.

Added to your minuses on this one old son.
    Our back five is invincible.
    Invincible I tells ye.

Invincible it may be @Malone but it is also subject to the vicissitudes. If all five come through the next four games unscathed we will be fine but let’s be realistic and consider the implications of losing one or two of them through injury at some stage.
    I’m as excited as anyone about the way things have been going but I am probably more grounded than many . An age thing @Maline.

• Apologies for the Freudian slip @Malone !

• you could have at least have typed @Malign for some chuckles.

• I’m not that cruel.

• We definately could do with another Alfie Mawson joining us in January. Stewart and Charles would be first choice for me but the chances of keeping both fit are slim. Phillips is a decent back up but a run of Sido at centre back fills me with dread.

I'd spin the loan wheel again too by sending Aarons back and looking at another youngster.

• Sido was pretty good at centre back in spells over the last two seasons, wasn't he!?

• Sido was outstanding as centre back last season, his best position, no worries about him getting a run.

• edited December 2019

Yeah, I definitely prefer Sido at CB rather than RB now - although he did fill in for Grimmer more than capably against Burton.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Yeah, I definitely prefer Sido at CB rather than RB now - although he did fill in for Grimmer more than capably against Burton.

I don't think Sido is structually sound enough to play centre back in the current system. He just goes missing too often. I'm intrigued that you answer so many posts with stats but not this one.

My feeling is we concede alot more goals when Sido plays. Any truth in that?

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@chairboyscentral said:

I don't think Sido is structually sound enough to play centre back in the current system. He just goes missing too often. I'm intrigued that you answer so many posts with stats but not this one.

I'd be (borderline) interested in that as well.

But it'd be a fairly low total of games he's played which would skew it a little.
    However, I'd expect we conceded more with El Abd in there, as despite leaving us with us thanking him for a job well done, he had some pretty critical weaknesses, poor in the air for a centre back, and pretty slow!

• He'd still be my fourth choice CB, but I prefer him there to at RB.

• I'm interested in the numbers so will take a look when I can.

• I know he only played two games, but El-Abd actually has the best aerials won per 90 figures of anyone in the squad bar Akinfenwa this season ? I don't have figures for last season.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

In League matches last season we conceded averages of 1.33 goals per game when Sido did not start and 1.48 goals per game when he was in the starting line up (based on data from Soccerbase website).

• edited December 2019

Put another way, last season in the league we conceded the same amount of goals per 8 games with Sido as we did per 9 games without Sido. Not sure that constitutes "a lot more" and I have not tried to factor in whether Sido's games played were against stronger opponents or any other variables.

• While we're on this subject, anyone got stats for our goals conceded per match/minute with and without Darius in the team?

I know he only played two games, but El-Abd actually has the best aerials won per 90 figures of anyone in the squad bar Akinfenwa this season ? I don't have figures for last season.

Proof that you can prove anything with stats.
    You can see with your own eyes he was the weakest of our centre backs in the air.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    While we're on this subject, anyone got stats for our goals conceded per match/minute with and without Darius in the team?

1.4 per game without, 0.93 with

• @Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    I know he only played two games, but El-Abd actually has the best aerials won per 90 figures of anyone in the squad bar Akinfenwa this season ? I don't have figures for last season.

You can see with your own eyes he was the weakest of our centre backs in the air.

Yeah, and you've got to factor in that those two games were v Bolton and Bristol Rovers (the really windy one which maybe levelled the playing field in the air, so to speak).

@Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:

Yeah, and you've got to factor in that those two games were v Bolton and Bristol Rovers (the really windy one which maybe levelled the playing field in the air, so to speak).

Certainly feels more secure this year. 2 centre backs strong in the air, Bayo, and Wheeler all excellent in the air.
    Decent supporting cast behind that with the full backs, Thompson etc

• Thanks @chairboyscentral Hopefully that figure will be even lower after tomorrow's game.

• Personally I think clean sheets give a better indication of the centre backs influence rather than "goals conceded per match/minute".

• @Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:

Certainly feels more secure this year. 2 centre backs strong in the air, Bayo, and Wheeler all excellent in the air.
    Decent supporting cast behind that with the full backs, Thompson etc

Bayo and Wheeler are two of I think only ten players in the league to win more than 50% of their aerials this season (I'll stop now).

• That is a strange stat. That would mean scores of players under 50%!!!

• edited December 2019

Oh, out of players who've played 10+ games - still impressive.

• I think the point Shev was making was that if this is scored player c wins player y loses, then it is hard to see how the vast majority of players are in negative territory. Presumably some challenges are scored as both lose or at least one loses no winner.

Personally I am not a fan of this statistics craze. Fake science to me.each to their own though.

• edited December 2019

@Shev Leading forwards in that respect (as of last Sunday). There will be a lot more than ten in all positions who've won 50%+. I suspect Bayo wins either way, though!

• I think the doubt was caused by originally saying top ten players..and now it being top ten forwards.

Over 50% as a striker is brilliant, as it's surely massively easier to win headers as a defender?

• You'd think so, in the sense that CBs are generally taller and probably practise heading more.