Skip to content

Allsop reports homophobic abuse

Comments

• edited November 2019

@Chris said:
    Interestingly enough, oriental did at one time include people from the Middle East.

This is the classic literature on the subject

This would at least explain why the Middle east link to the original song @NorsQuarters mentioned!

• Not sure that "Westerners" is specific enough as to an American the term "asian" refers to ...err... "oriental". ??

• @ValleyWanderer said:
    Not sure that "Westerners" is specific enough as to an American the term "asian" refers to ...err... "oriental". ??

"west europeans" obviously, as we take offence at either being called westerners, or europeans...

• I take offence at being called a Northerner and when people say Notts Forest...the thin end of the wedge.

• Can I just check I’m still okay to ‘sing’ “the referee’s a wanker” most games?

• I am ok with the above but stayed mum when a certain superfan was attempting to get 'Paul Lambert is a wanker' going on Sunday.

• edited November 2019

One comment that a lot of people use very casually, that I've always been disgusted by, is when people say someone has "r@ped" someone, in a football context.

Truly horrific fare.
    I think Alan Pardew even used that on tv once.

Trying to remember the name of the halfwit who referred to an incident on the pitch as a "Holocaust" as well. Forget the name, scored loads for Ireland, then they discovered he wasn't qualified to play for Ireland!
    Maybe he meant "Horlicks"

• Tony Cascarino

• I reckon the only “banter” guaranteed not to offend is self-deprecation, either in an individual sense or from a group, as in “we’re time-wasting bastards we know what we are” - now threadbare of course but I quite liked it at the time.

• I seem to remember a couple of the more pursed lipped on here did object to that song.

• I hate that song

• Purses lips

• It's an absolutely moronic song, with the only possible outcome that refs clamp down on us more.

• @Malone said:
    It's an absolutely moronic song, with the only possible outcome that refs clamp down on us more.

The other outcome is that it can really wind up opposition fans, I've heard more raging and whining about that song that almost any other walking down Hillbottom Road.

• @Username said:

@Malone said:
    It's an absolutely moronic song, with the only possible outcome that refs clamp down on us more.

The other outcome is that it can really wind up opposition fans, I've heard more raging and whining about that song that almost any other walking down Hillbottom Road.

Our supposed "style" does that enough as it is.

• @Username said:

@Malone said:

I've been "walking down Hillbottom Rd" for nearly 30 years and I have honestly never once heard opposition fans discussing any song that has been sung by the home fans

Has anyone else?

• @Malone said:

@Username said:

@Malone said:

Our supposed "style" does that enough as it is.

That's true, but it does rub it in especially for the type of fans that get riled up when Rocky doesn't sprint after the ball in minute one.

I don't particularly like the chant and very rarely join in with it, but it amuses me how it annoys some of the more snooty Chairboys.

• That's life in general isn't it.
    What some get massive enjoyment from, is pure hell for others.

Take a number of our younger fans, they love to oaf about beered up on trains.
    Being amongst that sort of thing would be pure hell for me.

• I've said it before, but "banter" is one of the worst words in the English language.

• @drcongo said:
    I've said it before, but "banter" is one of the worst words in the English language.

Prefer Bantz ?

• @drcongo said:
    I've said it before, but "banter" is one of the worst words in the English language.

I bet you're all over bantz.com

• I agree with @eric_plant yet again! Discussing opposition chants/“songs” post match sounds a bit esoteric and, likewise, I can’t recall any instances. (I was going to say “in 50 years of walking down Hillbottom Road” until I realised that the first twenty odd would have been a bit pointless.)

I never joined in with the time-wasting thing. I do make a lot of noise but apart from ‘CHAIRBOYS’ in that repetitive hand-clapping thing, now taken up much more extensively in the Frank Adams, I tend to be a bit ad hoc.

• @micra said:
    I agree with @eric_plant yet again! Discussing opposition chants/“songs” post match sounds a bit esoteric and, likewise, I can’t recall any instances. (I was going to say “in 50 years of walking down Hillbottom Road” until I realised that the first twenty odd would have been a bit pointless.)

I never joined in with the time-wasting thing. I do make a lot of noise but apart from ‘CHAIRBOYS’ in that repetitive hand-clapping thing, now taken up much more extensively in the Frank Adams, I tend to be a bit ad hoc.

I can tell you're one of these guys who don't shout much out, but when you do it's the type of fare that would shock a "singing group" gang member

• I hate the song and the time-wasting in equal measure. Most irritating is when they sing it when we're not time-wasting - or when THEY are throwing the ball around in the terrace - and give the opposition another easy stick to hit us with!

• Not Hillbottom Road I know but singing " Don't worry about a thing (three little birds)" at the end of the "Richardson" Argyle match really got through and contributed to a toxic and tbh slightly scary environment down 'ere for a chairboy fan in the days after.

A couple of Torquay fans described the "wanderers wanderers" chant in the "roar of plainmoor" game as spine-tingling although to be honest I remember far more "since I was young" there.

• What a surprise, Mark Sampson charged with using racist language ?

• edited November 2019

@chairboyscentral said:
    What a surprise, Mark Sampson charged with using racist language ?

He's obviously doing something wrong to keep getting in these scenarios.
    Interesting the club said there was no case to answer, as I'm sure England originally said the same - then it went further and found there was one to answer.

Either way he needs to change the way he's acting as most people can avoid these situations.

• @DevC said:
    Not Hillbottom Road I know but singing " Don't worry about a thing (three little birds)" at the end of the "Richardson" Argyle match really got through and contributed to a toxic and tbh slightly scary environment down 'ere for a chairboy fan in the days after.

A couple of Torquay fans described the "wanderers wanderers" chant in the "roar of plainmoor" game as spine-tingling although to be honest I remember far more "since I was young" there.

Plymouth....... Tick!

Torquay.......... Tick!

• He needs to have an 'inappropriate relationship' quick so they can sack him without it appearing he is a racist...

• edited November 2019

Racism tends not to be a one-off thing... What do you do if you're Stevenage? Wait until the outcome of this? Or get rid now bearing in mind his history?