Skip to content

Allsop reports homophobic abuse

edited November 2019 in Football

This was brought up on commentary, but for anyone who hasn't yet seen. It's just so disappointing tbh, and the replies to the Tweet sum up how deeply backward some people's attitudes on the topic are. Aren't we supposed to be a progressive society?

Comments

• Some of these twitter responses are appalling but would be wrong to brand TRFC fans as all homophobic because of a few planks.

• @LX1 said:
    Some of these twitter responses are appalling but would be wrong to brand TRFC fans as all homophobic because of a few planks.

Is anyone?

• People will grow up one day. Makes all football fans look like morons. Get bored of arguing with people that we aren't.

• If the rise of the internet, social media and 'populist ' politics has taught us anything it is that if you give a sizeable number of the great British public the tools and the excuse to be appalling intolerant bell-ends to the widest possible audience you should not be too surprised at the results.

• Abusing someone at all is wrong surely.
    Football will need to have some very awkward conversations soon methinks.

• @StrongestTeam said:

@LX1 said:
    Some of these twitter responses are appalling but would be wrong to brand TRFC fans as all homophobic because of a few planks.

Is anyone?

No..fair point. Like you I am bored with that argument

• Has there ever been a more redundant sign than "Foul and abusive language will not be tolerated"?

• I suppose it gives licence to a club to weed out particularly abusive individuals.

Also depends on the stand. In the terrace you'll always get way more than the other stands. I once got told off for "swearing" when I wasn't even doing so in the Frank Adams. That was weird.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Has there ever been a more redundant sign than "Foul and abusive language will not be tolerated"?

Tranmere had a sign up asking us not to stand in the vomitorium...

• @Ned_Ludd said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    Has there ever been a more redundant sign than "Foul and abusive language will not be tolerated"?

Tranmere had a sign up asking us not to stand in the vomitorium...

Isn't that the Antelope toilets at 5am on a Saturday?

• Their stewards seemed to miss a small child running the entire length of the field to flick V's at our away end and a chap in a Parker jacket seemingly film the whole game on his camcorder so not sure how much use they would have been on individual insults.
    It may be different in the future but I think there is a level of screaming and shouting that should be acceptable in the terrace that wouldn't be in the high road but nothing like this, it won't be "the pc brigade" but idiots like this who get everyone sat down with CCTV in our faces and no beer or atmosphere.

• Well done Rocky for reporting it.

• I wasn't there but was the abuse because he wore pink boots? There are some dumb buggers about who need to give their head a bloody good shake.

• edited November 2019

Apparently he was goading the home end. You know what? If that is the case, don't get wound up by it!

• Its 2019 and people still havent moved on it seems. We accept everyone no matter who you are etc. Rocky is a hero for bravely reporting it.

• This sort of abuse was commonplace pretty much everywhere in football (sadly at Wycombe as well), though fortunately it's being called out now and action is starting to be taken. Small actions like Ryan Allsop reporting it can get the ball rolling for authorities to properly clamp down on homophobic abuse, as has been overdue for decades.

• edited November 2019

Here's hoping this is also a landmark moment in confronting the general abuse of officials (the original reports seem to have got it a bit mixed up).

• This appears to be one lone knobhead.

A couple of decades ago whole crowds such this sort of bollocks.

Things are better now but still a way to go. Nothing to do with Tranmere as a club - isolated knobheads can be found everywhere.

• I’m confused - was Ryan abused or not - was it about the boots? - what about the kid?

• @Onlooker said:
    I’m confused - was Ryan abused or not - was it about the boots? - what about the kid?

Keith Ryan couln't make it

• Glad Rocky reported it, takes some balls to do that, knowing the likely media and social media reaction after. Feel a little bit sorry for Tranmere fans generally, because unlike racism, homophobic shouts are still really common at almost every ground so it really could have been any club.

• Yeah, I agree @Username . Tracked them for a few years and having been there last week I felt it was a decent club with a good set of proper fans. I wish them well.

• I’ve seen some of their fans comment on Rocky winding them up - regardless, there’s no excuses for anyone crossing the line, if that is indeed what happened. This one is entertaining though.

Ryan allsop should have his actions investigated for the way he goeded the tranmere fans in the kop on Sunday he moans about coments he claims he heard that upset him .well Mr allsop if you go and make imaturgestures to oposing fans what do you expect he winds up the fans then goes crying to the ref he got a reaction .the man is a professional footballer he should be concentrating on his game rather than trying to couse conflict with fans .so why are the fa not speaking to him for his unprofessional actions .maybe he should look at himself and his actions to our fans and and provoking conflict and relise people in glass houses should not throw stones .I myself feel he was to blame for the way his gestures started the so called abuse he says he got .I think he should also be spoken to for him unprofessional behaviour to fans

“People in glass houses should not throw stones” - wow! I did read a tweet last night from a Tranmere fan who confirmed he had heard homophobic abuse shouted at Rocky. As others have said, it’s a shame that one person shouting abuse and a few dozen justifying it online have let down the vast majority of their support.

• Whataboutery of the highest order, that.

• @Ned_Ludd said:
    Whataboutery of the highest order, that.

The quote, not what @Gary said!