Skip to content

Game Day Experience...

Comments

• Give it a break @drcongo, can’t you see when someone is putting a lot of effort into trying to make things better?
    Have your views yes and mention them to the club if you are that bent out of shape about them.

• Why are you so upset @Blue_since_1990? Are you one of those who think “politically correct” is a pejorative by any chance? Are you sick of bloody do-gooders trying to take away your right to objectify women?

• @Malone I've just gone away from home and have only got my phone on me at the moment and don't know how to post links on that (not sure I've ever mastered it on a laptop mind) but will try and send you it when I get back home tomorrow. However, you don't need to have Twitter to view the club's feed (I think). You can pull the page up and read it, just can't comment. I think that's right anyway.

• @HCblue said:
    It’s cheerleaders, not strippers. Not my bag but nothing to be exercised about. Let them have their wholesome, enthusiastic fun and let those that would enjoy it do so. I don’t expect a hoard of mac-wearing perverts to suddenly appear pitchside.

Exactly this.

I dare say the whole thing is a simple one off - something a bit different, and it's good the owners are swiftly trying to make their mark.

I notice they're also bringing in what looks like a tray load of food at games.
    Some people are already knocking that as "americanised".

The best thing with moaning about these outside the football things, is it usually means the actual team are quality!

• edited August 2019

@Uncle_T said:
    Regardless of what form it may take, I would be interested to know whether the posters on this forum feel there is actually a need for some form of half-time entertainment to improve their "Game Day Experience." I don't.

If you count the 50/50 draw as half-time entertainment then I admit, were that not to take place, that I would miss the experience of holding my breath and raising my hopes only to have them dashed, tear up my ticket and deposit it in a bin each match on my way for a half-time visit to the toilet. But that's it.

The half-time kids penalty activity is great for those who it is aimed at - the kids themselves and their attendant friends and family - and I am sure a number of kids involved will subsequently wish to return and may become long-term supporters. Long may that or something similar continue, since it is a useful marketing tool. On the occasions when it doesn't occur (e.g. some evening matches) I can't say the absence of this activity impacts on my "Game Day Experience" though.

A lot of us don't even think about the "experience", we just want to cruise in near kick off, enjoy a game, not eat or drink anything ( as we can manage not to in a mere 2 hours being somewhere), and go home,satisfied in a good performance.
    However, we also understand that families and suchlike are a key revenue stream, and all that sort of stuff adds into it for them.

• @Jonny_King said:
    @Malone I've just gone away from home and have only got my phone on me at the moment and don't know how to post links on that (not sure I've ever mastered it on a laptop mind) but will try and send you it when I get back home tomorrow. However, you don't need to have Twitter to view the club's feed (I think). You can pull the page up and read it, just can't comment. I think that's right anyway.

Ta - i'll do that.

• @drcongo said:
    Why are you so upset @Blue_since_1990? Are you one of those who think “politically correct” is a pejorative by any chance? Are you sick of bloody do-gooders trying to take away your right to objectify women?

men telling women how to behave yikes

• However, we also understand that families and suchlike are a key revenue stream, and all that sort of stuff adds into it for them.

This is key. I now won’t be bringing my family for the foreseeable.

• @BuckinghamBlue said:

@drcongo said:
    Why are you so upset @Blue_since_1990? Are you one of those who think “politically correct” is a pejorative by any chance? Are you sick of bloody do-gooders trying to take away your right to objectify women?

You’re clearly a little hard of thinking. Where did I tell women how to behave?

• @drcongo said:

However, we also understand that families and suchlike are a key revenue stream, and all that sort of stuff adds into it for them.

It's only a one off, this dancing business isn't it? Not every game?

• edited August 2019

@Malone said:

@drcongo said:

It's only a one off, this dancing business isn't it? Not every game?

Hopefully it is for only one game.

• @Jonny_King said:
    @Malone I've just gone away from home and have only got my phone on me at the moment and don't know how to post links on that (not sure I've ever mastered it on a laptop mind) but will try and send you it when I get back home tomorrow. However, you don't need to have Twitter to view the club's feed (I think). You can pull the page up and read it, just can't comment. I think that's right anyway.

So I did that, and maybe I'm not seeing all the comments, but there's one woman talking about where's the male troupe, and one woman who says

Maeve Foley

@MaeveFoley
    Follow Follow @MaeveFoley
    More
    Replying to @wwfcofficial @Printkick
    This is awesome!! ?

A couple of jokey ones, and the club saying how young girls are inspired by it, they've done research with other clubs etc.

I don't know - young girls viewing know they won't play on the pitch to such a crowd, so maybe dancing in front of a crowd is a dream, like becoming a popstar etc. I don't know.

• Travel to and from the ground is probably one of the biggest issues around increasing attendances and I'm sure it's being looked at. Go back 20 years and you had special buses from all over the area. I live the other side of Wycombe and could catch a bus from the bottom of my road. Despite these busses being packed they were withdrawn apparently due not being financially viable ! This was obviously a decision by the bus company but the result was either people jump into cars or they stop coming. Another matter is cars exiting Hillbottom Road after games at the same time as we pedestrians and also cars trying to drive against the tide of humanity to get to the ground ( the logic of doing this defeats me) one day someone will get hurt of worse.

• @drcongo said:

@BuckinghamBlue said:

@drcongo said:

You’re clearly a little hard of thinking. Where did I tell women how to behave?

Are you struggling to extrapolate

• @HCblue said:
    It’s cheerleaders, not strippers. Not my bag but nothing to be exercised about. Let them have their wholesome, enthusiastic fun and let those that would enjoy it do so. I don’t expect a hoard of mac-wearing perverts to suddenly appear pitchside.

Oh Horlicks, I will pack my Columbo mac away again then!

• Personally, I’m prepared to see what the cheerleaders do and how the crowd reacts to them before > @drcongo said:

Please don’t take this the wrong way Dr Congo, but I’m genuinely surprised that someone who enjoys the humour of Frankie Boyle, which even his fans admit goes beyond good taste occasionally, can be so offended by the sight of cheerleaders.

• Off the top of my head most of the negative reactions from female fans was on facebook, but there was a comment on Twitter from a male fan questioning the message this was sending out and a female fan replied 'my thoughts exactly' or words to that effect. I think was one other one at least, but I find looking at twitter threads can be a bit of a rabbit warren, as different replies seem to send you to new, different threads.

To be clear, I'm not claiming there's hundreds of women speaking out against this, more like half a dozen or so (so far) but I think we should be listening to that half a dozen as they likely speak for a larger section of our female fan base.

• Just a couple more things on this.

No-one here is telling women what to do. If women want to be cheerleaders, great. Doesn't mean we have to hire them. Not hiring them is not 'telling them what to do'.

Secondly, I don't personally see people 'moaning' about this decision. I do see people making reasoned arguments and engaging in thoughtful debate. I do, however, see some people moaning about people being against it and trying to belittle them.

• @Mr67 said:
    Travel to and from the ground is probably one of the biggest issues around increasing attendances and I'm sure it's being looked at. Go back 20 years and you had special buses from all over the area. I live the other side of Wycombe and could catch a bus from the bottom of my road. Despite these busses being packed they were withdrawn apparently due not being financially viable ! This was obviously a decision by the bus company but the result was either people jump into cars or they stop coming. Another matter is cars exiting Hillbottom Road after games at the same time as we pedestrians and also cars trying to drive against the tide of humanity to get to the ground ( the logic of doing this defeats me) one day someone will get hurt of worse.

We were supremely spoilt with those busses. I miss them!

However, at one stage it looked like the current set up wasn't going to be an option, so I suppose we have to appreciate we even have that.

I occasionally used those, but when they made the park n ride stop the first pick up rather than last, it totally ruined it.

Before hand, you could roll up there, get on at 2.25ish, and get to the ground 2.45 ish. Brilliant. Similarly quick back after.

Now, you get on there, way way earlier, and have to sit on there 45mins trawling through Wycombe! Arghhh.

• @leeronhagg said:

@MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Personally, the only time I've ever enjoyed myself at Adams park was when Ronald McDonald came and saved the half time penalties. Proper sport.

You’ve been a supporter this long, and that’s the only time you’ve enjoyed yourself at Adams Park? There’s no pleasing some people! ;-)

I always forget that irony doesn't work on the internet, or on some people.

• @glasshalffull said:
    Personally, I’m prepared to see what the cheerleaders do and how the crowd reacts to them before > @drcongo said:

Please don’t take this the wrong way Dr Congo, but I’m genuinely surprised that someone who enjoys the humour of Frankie Boyle, which even his fans admit goes beyond good taste occasionally, can be so offended by the sight of cheerleaders.

amazing stuff

• My half time experience...whistle blows, I exhale and engage in conversation with fellow ST holders to the tune of 'Well, that was okay' 'Well I hope they're better than that in the second half...' or 'For God's sake...' . Crisps. Swig of fizzy drink (cold if from home. Warm if from Kiosk) 50/50 draw. two numbers. Rip rip rip. Angry swig of fizzy drink. More discussion of line-up, tactics and the fact I am not going to (insert next away game here). Decide the toilet queue will have reduced. Amble off. Amble back relieved. Have those bloody kids not finished yet the players are coming on. Make mental note to bring TWO bags of crisps next time. Whistle. I doubt I will have room to notice anyone jigging about to (insert name of current dance act) in front of the family stand.

• @Malone said:

If you mean the Taco Bell tray which was posted on Facebook then I think that it is a fake mock-up of a Tweet

• Why? It’s a valid point even if it doesn’t suit your narrative.

• @Mr67 When I lived on the other side of Wycombe my father-in-law and I regularly used the bus that came via Hazlemere but I appeared to be the only passenger who ever had to pay a fare as most people who got on showed the driver their bus pass and travelled for free. I'm not surprised that it wasn't financially viable and the service was withdrawn.

• @FmG said:

@Malone said:

If you mean the Taco Bell tray which was posted on Facebook then I think that it is a fake mock-up of a Tweet

Nooo, that's disappointing!

Although in fairness, I should have known, as on service times, they'd have time to serve about 2 people in a half time!!

• edited August 2019

@glasshalffull said:
    Why? It’s a valid point even if it doesn’t suit your narrative.

Unfortunately, you could say night follows day and someone would still argue with you, because it's you.

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@HCblue said:

Oh Horlicks, I will pack my Columbo mac away again then!

I did think of you as I wrote, @EwanHoosaami, hence the prediction of no horde rather than no pervs at all.

• edited August 2019

@Malone said:

@glasshalffull said:

Unfortunately, you could say night follows day and someone would still argue with you, because it's you.

In Tromsø Norway between November to January night follows night!

• @Malone said:

@glasshalffull said:

Yes, Malone I had noticed that! I was just trying to make the point (perhaps not clearly enough) that good taste is in the eye of the beholder. I find Frankie Boyle offensive, Dr Congo doesn’t. He finds cheerleaders offensive, I don’t.