Skip to content

gareth ainsworth

Comments

• If we do end up looking for a new manager I'd love to see Dobbo given an opportunity

• I am pretty sure the new manager is already in the building or has been in the last couple of years.

• GA future with us hinged on the time wasting Americans. If it had of gone thru he would have stayed. size of the playing budget will be key.

• "Time wasting Americans"......how quickly the mood shifts

• The surprise by some here is strange. Gareth was happy to stay and keep doing the brilliant work he and Dobbo have been doing. He said no to firm offers from clubs during 2018 for that reason under the belief and assurances that our board had a plan and some Semblance of an idea despite Andrew Howard’s departure.

It took all of a few months for that to be proven otherwise, and the lack of basic funds , no hot water at the training ground a few times too many , dealing with the general manager , the capitulation of the American deal , references to his teams lack of progress in cups this season as a reason for financial stress , all have contributed to an “enough is enough “ mindset and his inevitable departure.

Anyone who thinks Dobbo is not a part of Gareth’s future plans really doesn’t understand the measure of the man and his respect and appreciation of Dobbo.

• So @marlowchair you are saying on the Gasroom that Gareth has told you for the reasons above that he is off post Fleetwood?

• I am sure that's what it is, @marlowchair. The fact that little secret has been made that QPR has always been Gareth's dream job, that it delivers an opportunity to test himself at higher level as he has always wanted, the avoidance of need to relocate himself and his family while pursuing that opportunity and no doubt a substantial pay-rise are all entirely incidental. Its all Trevor Stroud's fault. Ho hum.

• Just because Ainsworth will want Dobbo to go with him doesn't necessarily mean that Dobbo might not fancy a go as the no. 1 does it?

• You assume it’s the first time he’s had the opportunity to leave for QPR .

But to be fair,you don’t allay any accountability or responsibility at the feet of The chairman or board for our decline in various facets of our club in event years at all, so I understand it’s a massive stretch for you to believe the state of them and the club would have any bearing on our manager finally saying “ enough “.

• Think it might be a Peter Taylor and Brian Clough situation where they proved to be only successful as a management team, Eric.

• What surprise are you talking about @marlowchair ? I'm not sure anything has happened to be surprised about.

I'll give the poster doing this user name some credit though. Never miss a chance to lay down some more speculation so some might prove to be true. Good detail on the hot water one.

• Marlow, if only you were a bit less of an absolute cloaky grudge merchant, then we could all get down the bookies with our tenners and clean up :)

• @eric_plant said:
    If we do end up looking for a new manager I'd love to see Dobbo given an opportunity

Just beyond any sort of understanding LOL.

He'll go where Ainsworth goes!!

• It must be pretty awful when the club you support, something you do basically for a hobby, leaves one in a state somewhere between frustration and misery. particularly when we're about to finish higher in the league than we have for 16 years!

My gut feeling is that we'll promote from within. If Dobbo goes to QPR, we'll offer it to Matt Bloomfield.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    I am pretty sure the new manager is already in the building or has been in the last couple of years.

Why do people keep saying this? People kept saying it for Hayes, and now the same.
    Who? Bloomfield? Based on some casual coaching, and being here years?!

• edited April 2019

So @marlowchair can you confirm he has been offered the QPR job before and that this time he is taking it?

• Is there any thread where @marlowchair doesn't feel the need to wade in with fabulous 'inside knowledge'. Whilst it might turn out he does have the inside line having him reduce every thread to 'I know something you don't' is becoming tedious at best and downright f**k*ng annoying when I'm feeling less generous in nature.

May I ask @marlowchair is there any part of the club what you don't know, in detail, the inner workings too.
    Guessing you know the team line-up for a game two days beforehand too

• I also assume Dobbo will go with him...Clough TAylor, MON and John Robertson, the list goes on.

• @floyd said:
    It must be pretty awful when the club you support, something you do basically for a hobby, leaves one in a state somewhere between frustration and misery. particularly when we're about to finish higher in the league than we have for 16 years!

My gut feeling is that we'll promote from within. If Dobbo goes to QPR, we'll offer it to Matt Bloomfield.

A caretaker for a week if we were in midseason and the manager was sacked maybe, but how could we expect a guy who does a little bit of coaching, to suddenly be tasked with bringing players in and doing a totally different job!?

• Bloomfield the experience of full-time management as GA did when he took over, and much more experience of Wycombe Wanderers.

• @Malone said:
    A caretaker for a week if we were in midseason and the manager was sacked maybe, but how could we expect a guy who does a little bit of coaching, to suddenly be tasked with bringing players in and doing a totally different job!?

By that reasoning, nobody could ever have been appointed manager of any football club.

• The one thing guaranteed to shut up @marlowchair is any talk about the team or the performance on the pitch. He never gives an opinion, posts abuse about the board during matches and is now running out of off the pitch people to give insider knowledge about.

He popped up get rid of Stroud after they fell out and has failed to do it.

• He's done his badges and as GA's old roommate and knowing Dobbo for a while I'm sure when he's not been playing, he's been watching and learning. As everyone keeps pointing out...we've got no money so who are they expecting Phil 'tanning salon' Brown?
    Still not convinced Gareth will go as yet despite @marlowchair 's in depth knowledge.

• I am not so sure @marlowchair has ever directly said anything about Ainsworth going to QPR even if he'll claim he did if it happens. Every reference is vague and it is others who have linked the comments in to a statement.

• @Malone said:
    Marlow, if only you were a bit less of an absolute cloaky grudge merchant, then we could all get down the bookies with our tenners and clean up :)

You missed that boat when he was far larger odds weeks ago

• @floyd said:
    Bloomfield the experience of full-time management as GA did when he took over, and much more experience of Wycombe Wanderers.

Whilst you can get by as a Wycombe player living in Suffolk, it would be a massive mistake to think he can manage on the same basis.

• @Malone said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:
    I am pretty sure the new manager is already in the building or has been in the last couple of years.

Why do people keep saying this? People kept saying it for Hayes, and now the same.
    Who? Bloomfield? Based on some casual coaching, and being here years?!

From what we know of the way the board operates, I would say it's a racing certainly that they will look to promote from within if Gareth goes. Their reasoning will be thus:

:: The player knows the club so can operate effectively from day one, particularly when it comes to releasing and renewing contracts over the summer
    :: The player understands the financial constraints we are under well so won't moan about not getting a transfer budget
    :: The player will be able to 'continue Gareth's legacy' so will come with instant popularity, conferring that by osmosis to the board that picks him
    :: The player will be inexperienced so will only ask for a tiny salary, knowing this is a remarkable opportunity to manage a League One club at the beginning of their career
    :: The club will be able to save at least one and potentially two salaries by making the player into a player manager (I can also see us promoting a player coach from within)

For those reasons as soon as Gareth goes I fully expect the club to announce that Matt Bloomfield is the new player manager and Marcus Bean the new player coach.

• @mooneyman didn't I read in the Wanderer interview that Dobbo does exactly that?

• @mooneyman said:

Whilst you can get by as a Wycombe player living in Suffolk, it would be a massive mistake to think he can manage on the same basis.

Once training is done at what, noon? 1pm? I would imagine he could work anywhere with a phone and internet connection.

@aloysius has summed up my reasons exactly.