Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

gareth ainsworth

If the betting is to be believed, looks like he has missed out on (or not expressed interest in) the QPR job.

If not there, with his explaying links, do wonder where a championship job is going to come from for him. Paul Tisdale for many years while at Exeter was linked with just about every second tier job that came available but somehow it never quite happened for him. He eventually ended up doing 12 years at Exeter until eventually fan sentiment changed and he was hounded out. Is likelihood now that Gareth's stint here will go the same way?

«13456713

Comments

  • I think that’s exactly the way things will go. There was never a chance of him being approached for the QPR job. When we were in 9th place a minor possibility, but the timing was all wrong for him and the vacant QPR job.

  • When was the last time the manager ofa mid-table to lower League One/higher League Two club got a Championship job?

  • Unfortunately for Gareth, the two championship teams that would hold the most sway for him, QPR and Blackburn, are also two of the most dreadfully run.

    QPR will go through the usual merry go round circuit, of those who have had experience high up, but have also failed a fair few times.
    NO way are they taking a punt on a lower league guy, even one with fan appeal.

  • @th100 said:
    When was the last time the manager ofa mid-table to lower League One/higher League Two club got a Championship job?

    Jimmy Floyd Hasslebank? They were top of L1 at the time but I don't think many people would call them a big league one club.

  • Nathan Jones although again top of league 1

  • @OxfordBlue come to think of it, Nigel Clough left Burton while they were still in the Conference to join Derby

  • If you look at their fan forum, quite a lot want him, but they expect Tim Sherwood who none of them want

  • @DevC said:

    If the betting is to be believed, looks like he has missed out on (or not expressed interest in) the QPR job.

    If not there, with his explaying links, do wonder where a championship job is going to come from for him. Paul Tisdale for many years while at Exeter was linked with just about every second tier job that came available but somehow it never quite happened for him. He eventually ended up doing 12 years at Exeter until eventually fan sentiment changed and he was hounded out. Is likelihood now that Gareth's stint here will go the same way?

    What an interesting and original post that you've never made before

    👍 👎 ( 4 )
  • I've lost count of the number of times you've posted this same comment and I am getting concerned that I am suffering from PTDS and my brain is stopping me accessing the trauma the previous poss have caused.

    The guy who runs my local Post Office is really good at running it so why haven't the Post Office put him in charge of the whole thing?

  • Not sure I have to be honest, as the realisation that GA may well never get a second tier job has never really dawned on me until now. previously for me it was a when, I wonder now if it is an if at best.

    Even if I had, is it really not possible on the wondrous tool that is social media to make polite comment or simply ignore without resorting to abuse at the first opportunity?

  • "abuse"?

    👍 👎 ( 1 )
  • edited April 4

    We've definitely been here before...

    Dev - makes some comment about Gaz leaving, or us needing to go conference south to be sustainable. Usually worded in a way to aggravate as many posters as possible so a heated debate ensues.

    Usual hate mob turn up pointing it out

    Dev tries to deflect what he does by referring to "abuse"

  • Just a thought

    @DevC uses two capital letters in his four letter 'social media' name but chooses not to give our managers name a single capital letter in this header.

    Conclusion has to be he hates the man.

    From part of the hate mob (???)

  • The guy from Shrewsbury got the Ipswich job and got the chop pretty early. Chairman aren't that bright. They follow the herd. If one L2 or L1 manager does well then more jobs will follow.

  • I don't think GA will ever be hounded out like Tisdale. Bias (and FB) aside, it feels as though we have a more reasonable bunch of fans than Exeter, and from what I understand, Tisdale In/Out factions were always in conflict.

    I wonder if GA's best bet would be to eventually get a job such as a Barnsley (who showed interest last season), Ipswich or the like - a bigger club dropping into L1 needing to be turned around. If he gained promotion with such a team, he could then be part of the constant recycling that goes on in that division, much like the PL. All speculation, of course.

    Either way, the longer he stays with us, the more our gain. I personally think he has set such a high bar, getting us up to 9th twice in L1 on a lower L2 budget, that the current difficult streak makes it easy to forget just how far he has taken Wycombe.

    If and when he does leave, I hope it is on a high, both for himself and the club, that enables both parties to move on with a clear conscience, and fond memories.

    👍 👎 ( 2 )
  • Agree with all of that @Shev

  • So do I. But let’s suspend speculation about GA’s future until we have a better idea of where we’re going. Only a few weeks to wait.

  • @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Just a thought

    @DevC uses two capital letters in his four letter 'social media' name but chooses not to give our managers name a single capital letter in this header.

    Conclusion has to be he hates the man.

    From part of the hate mob (???)

    Proves my point that Richie is using another account purporting to come from the West Country!

  • @Shev said:
    I don't think GA will ever be hounded out like Tisdale. Bias (and FB) aside, it feels as though we have a more reasonable bunch of fans than Exeter

    What on earth makes you say that?
    Have you been to any aways recently?
    Do you remember that horrific mob abusing him after the Rovers game 4-5 years back?

    There's been an undercurrent from the same gang despite us doing well since.

  • edited April 4

    @mooneyman said:

    @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Just a thought

    @DevC uses two capital letters in his four letter 'social media' name but chooses not to give our managers name a single capital letter in this header.

    Conclusion has to be he hates the man.

    From part of the hate mob (???)

    Proves my point that Richie is using another account purporting to come from the West Country!

    It's a guarantee there's a few regulars operating two accounts, but Richie/Dev isn't a combo I'd suspect.

    I'm pretty sure the Richie account comes from one of the 15 or so people who dominate this site.

  • A lot more what @Malone? Erudite? (Not an adhesive, by the way.)

  • @micra said:
    A lot more what @Malone? Erudite? (Not an adhesive, by the way.)

    Did i edit some clumsy wording before you'd written that old son?

    As a few hours later i can't work out what you mean 😄

  • Is the gasroom social media?

  • @arnos_grove said:
    Is the gasroom social media?

    I remember saying it was "anti" social media, and that took off a little (by gashroom standards)

  • In response to the pre edit version of your 4.11 post @Malone. Quickfire exchanges on several threads around that time. Your edited version is clear. I can be eliminated from any enquiries. I’m not that clever.

  • Gotta let the post settle son. Sometimes a re-read shows a bit of a polish is needed.

    I think it's what the French would call
    "si vous traduisez cela, vous êtes un homme triste"

  • Chris Wilder went from the Cobblers to the Blades and has done all right. I didn't see it precipitate a trend.

  • Gary Rowett Burton to Birmingham.

  • The betting odds to me @DevC look like the bookies don't have a clue who will be the next QPR manager.

  • Ich bin ein trauriger Mann @Malone.

Sign In or Register to comment.