Skip to content

Match day thread: Peterborough

Comments

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Rightfully booed ???

What an awful point of view but to lump the entire fanbase in on this cretinous behaviour is even worse. Please don't include the many good supportive people who support this great club @OxfordBlue in with our moronic element.

These idiots have no idea how lucky they are to be a part of this club. They don't deserve to be called a Wycombe fan.

What does lucky to be part of this club mean? To be part of it you just turn up and buy a ticket don't you??

• @peterparrotface said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Rightfully booed ???

What an awful point of view but to lump the entire fanbase in on this cretinous behaviour is even worse. Please don't include the many good supportive people who support this great club @OxfordBlue in with our moronic element.

These idiots have no idea how lucky they are to be a part of this club. They don't deserve to be called a Wycombe fan.

What does lucky to be part of this club mean? To be part of it you just turn up and buy a ticket don't you??

I guess not. I'll have to defer to Righty on what constitutes a deserving Wycombe fan.

I suppose my travelling 2 hours each way to almost every home game on public transport at considerable expense, being a season ticket holder, going to a fair few away games, being a Trust Member (and legacy member next year) is all null and void if I show the odd bit of vocal frustration at a match.

• Hi @peterparrotface
    I would say the emotional attachment to what you are watching and experiencing is the main bit about being a part of the club. You don't need to buy a ticket to experience what the club is doing but buying a ticket doesn't mean you are a part of anything. If I bought a ticket to see Man Utd I wouldn't say I was a part of the club.

Get of your high horse @OxfordBlue
    You are trying to justify booing a side up against it after 10 minutes. If you think how far you travel justifies that then you really don't deserve the current team. They deserve better. What you deserve isn't anything that bothers me. I simply don't get why booing at the moment helps anyone.

You are trying to justify booing a side up against it after 10 minutes. If you think how far you travel justifies that then you really don't deserve the current team. They deserve better. What you deserve isn't anything that bothers me. I simply don't get why booing at the moment helps anyone.

Imagine declaring who is or isn’t deserving of being a Wycombe fan, then in the same breath telling other people to get off their high horse.

Astonishing.

I don’t want to get into a prolonged argument online. You seem you need to have the last word in general, so over and out from me.

Hi @peterparrotface
    I would say the emotional attachment to what you are watching and experiencing is the main bit about being a part of the club. You don't need to buy a ticket to experience what the club is doing but buying a ticket doesn't mean you are a part of anything. If I bought a ticket to see Man Utd I wouldn't say I was a part of the club.

Got it. Cheers

• @ChasHarps said:
    @glasshalffull said:
    "I agree with Floyd that booing players from your own team either during or after a game is unproductive and unjustified. It’s a fairly modern phenomenon and another by product of the social media age"

What utter clap trap, If Mr Parry ever ventured into the cowshed at Loakes Park in the 70's and 80's, It was notorious for showing it's displeasure at underperforming players.
    But i guess he's more of an expert on 'standing ovations' than 'jeering'.

Well your experience seems to be limited to one club.
    I’ve been to games at most clubs in the land and very rarely heard fans booing their own players so are you saying it’s a Wycombe thing? By the way,isn’t it time you found a new stick to beat me with? That old claptrap about standing ovations is as dated and boring as some of your posts.

• Sounds like you wanted and got the last word @OxfordBlue. Well done

• For the record I think CMS going when we only had an unproven little fellow and an injury prone little fellow as stand-ins for Bayo was a mistake! Why he was not played through the middle instead I do not know.

• I've heard fans booing their own players all over the world.

Nothing that deserved it on Saturday though

• @eric_plant said:
    It's not a modern, "by-product of the social media age" thing though is it, booing?

I said that booing your own players was. Yes, people have always booed opposition players and refereeing decisions but the booing of the team you’re supposed to support is a relatively new thing.

• @mooneyman said:
    There was regular, and in my view generally justified booing, during Alan Smith's tenure.

I was not a fan of Mr.Smith but I would never boo the players because I wasn’t fond of the manager. What does it achieve?

• @HolmerBlue said:
    Booing has been around forever... it's certainly not a modern thing

Booing your own players has certainly not been around forever in my experience.

So what you are implying is that @DevC is a better supporter than @OxfordBlue, because Dev never boos our players!

• I'm sure @DevC has a boos to games watched comparison spreadsheet to prove it.

• Looking at it in those simple terms @mooneyman and following that one strand of argument then yes.
    Someone not being there is a more positive force on the team than someone who boos them.

For fairness that ignores money put in to build the club, other positive comments at games and being a body in a crowd.

• I believe under the terms of the early bird season ticket you are allowed ten free boos @mooneyman

• edited March 2019

@Wendoverman said:
    I believe under the terms of the early bird season ticket you are allowed ten free boos @mooneyman

I’ve still got 9 to use up then which is great. Do you know if in the club charter any of my unused 10 from last season are allowed to roll over?

• Switching the subject (I don’t know how to start a new thread!), I’m having a clear out at home and have the complete (I think) set of home programmes from season 2009-10. If anyone is interested I can hand them over at the game on Saturday.

• @OxfordBlue I think that might distort the figures...but I'm not sure the technology is available that could stop you. It's an honour system. You might need them at the meeting where details of the chosen the bid are unveiled though.

• Very noble of you @glasshalffull, however if I turn up at home with more WW memorabilia, I may find the locks changed on the house, a sleeping bag in the garden shed & all my WW shirts, scarves, T-shirts etc making up the mattress!

• @OxfordBlue said:

@Wendoverman said:
    I believe under the terms of the early bird season ticket you are allowed ten free boos @mooneyman

I’ve still got 9 to use up then which is great. Do you know if in the club charter any of my unused 10 from last season are allowed to roll over?

I believe you can sell them on ebay!

• @Wendoverman said:
    For the record I think CMS going when we only had an unproven little fellow and an injury prone little fellow as stand-ins for Bayo was a mistake! Why he was not played through the middle instead I do not know.

He was played through the middle in one of the Xmas games and wasn't great. We still had Tys, PCH and Scotty on the bench on Saturday....

• Booing not my thing but I must admit to expressing some loud frustration in the first few minutes on Saturday.....before roaring the team on enthusiastically once GA'S change to 433 took hold.

• Each to his own but I cannot imagine any circumstances in which I would boo the team that I support. Frustrated occasionally, yes. Curse under my breath, yes. Have a moan with the person next to me, yes. But resort to booing, never.

• Tutting is a noise strictly reserved for misplaced passes at the footy.

• .> @Malone said:

Tutting is a noise strictly reserved for misplaced passes at the footy.

And failing to get past the second number in the 50/50 draw.

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    Very noble of you @glasshalffull, however if I turn up at home with more WW memorabilia, I may find the locks changed on the house, a sleeping bag in the garden shed & all my WW shirts, scarves, T-shirts etc making up the mattress!

I know exactly what you mean!

• I don't think I've ever booed the team but I must confess to being on the of those who chanted "off off off" in an attempt to get the referee to send off Mark Foran and then celebrating when he was indeed shown the red card (was it up at Notts County?)

Pretty childish really when you look back on it

• I'm all for free booze at the footy

• @Malone said:
    Tutting is a noise strictly reserved for misplaced passes at the footy.

Nick Tunney, on commentary, lets out giveaway groans (spoilers in effect) whenever a pass goes astray, a promising move breaks down or a “sitter” is missed. Fairly frequently therefore. Maybe co-ordinated choruses of groans would be more socially acceptable than booing, interspersed perhaps with the occasional tintinnabulation of tutting.