Skip to content

Match day thread: Peterborough

Comments

• Hardly an off day for Curtis, few very nice bits, generally pretty good, could have done with some more help though. Didn't think we were lumping it as much we have done, fairly mixed, lots via nick freeman. Just outplayed at the start and then playing catch-up against a good team with top notch wingers who could pick us off.

Interesting comment prior to the game from McCarthy:

"Training's been good this week, and we're looking to spring our gameplan onto Peterborough and maybe catch them by surprise a bit. We beat them at home, so we're raring to go and believing in ourselves that we can get a result."

Yeah, not quite, next time...

• edited March 2019

The Bayo stuff about not being up to league 1 started as early as 20mins into the Doncaster away game in August, when he miscontrolled one pass.
    From some absolute goons might I add.

He's certainly no less effective than any other striker we have, so we either have a forward line not up to league 1 or a more reasoned view that what works one game won't work another.

• @StrongestTeam said:
    Hardly an off day for Curtis, few very nice bits, generally pretty good, could have done with some more help though. Didn't think we were lumping it as much we have done, fairly mixed, lots via nick freeman. Just outplayed at the start and then playing catch-up against a good team with top notch wingers who could pick us off.

Interesting comment prior to the game from McCarthy:

"Training's been good this week, and we're looking to spring our gameplan onto Peterborough and maybe catch them by surprise a bit. We beat them at home, so we're raring to go and believing in ourselves that we can get a result."

Yeah, not quite, next time...

It was one of his worst games for us, typified by the 4th goal, but that's more a reflection of just how amazingly good he has been. Everyone's allowed an off-day and on the other side of the coin Blooms was back to his early season best.

• Exactly right @EssexWanderer. The guy has been outstanding.

• Sincere apologies to @prufrock_91. I misread POTM as Player of the Match.
    Stupid Boy. ??

• @Micra I was picturing Rees-Mogg in psychedelic pink

• edited March 2019

We were absolutely dreadful for the first 2 goals, and it really felt like things were going to spiral into a whitewash on the pitch and toxicness in the stands as every ineffective hoof was rightfully booed by our fans.

Once we got it on the floor we dominated the the rest of the first half and periods of the second half.

It felt like both Peterboro goals were sucker punches after prolonged periods of Wycombe pressure, but perhaps I'm being biased.

• ‘Rightfully booed...’

What a ridiculous comment, we’re 12th in League One.

• @floyd said:
    ‘Rightfully booed...’

What a ridiculous comment, we’re 12th in League One.

I've got no problem with our league position. I'm very proud of the team this year. I don't think we should be booing our players at the end of games, even when we lose by a heavy margin.

However, we tried hoofing it for the first 10 minutes, and ended up two goals down. We then carried on hoofing it for a few minutes and it was awful, pointless hoofing at that.

The crowd made their displeasure known. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion.

• Wycombe Wanderers fans don’t deserve Wycombe Wanderers.

• I agree with Floyd that booing players from your own team either during or after a game is unproductive and unjustified. It’s a fairly modern phenomenon and another by product of the social media age where people make instant judgements and need a scapegoat when things aren’t going to their satisfaction.
    We have done very well to get 43 points by this stage of the season and this was always going to be a tough period with games against the top teams in the division.
    We need to get behind the team, not boo them.

• @glasshalffull said:
    You do understand that loan players can be recalled by the club that holds their contract, I presume?

The players weren't 'recalled' because you can no longer recall players from football league loans. The loan deals they were on expired and hence they returned to their parent clubs.

• I can't imagine booing my own team. But then I can't really imagine chanting mindlessly either. I leave the two to others.

• Rightfully booed ???

What an awful point of view but to lump the entire fanbase in on this cretinous behaviour is even worse. Please don't include the many good supportive people who support this great club @OxfordBlue in with our moronic element.

These idiots have no idea how lucky they are to be a part of this club. They don't deserve to be called a Wycombe fan.

• @Vincey said:

@glasshalffull said:
    You do understand that loan players can be recalled by the club that holds their contract, I presume?

The players weren't 'recalled' because you can no longer recall players from football league loans. The loan deals they were on expired and hence they returned to their parent clubs.

You’re correct, I used the wrong word when I wrote ‘recalled’ but the overall point is still valid, ie losing those players had nothing to do with the club believing that we were safe from the threat of relegation.

• I blame social media.

• This is a tricky one .

I for one , have never , and hopefully will never boo my team , some days we have an off day , and saturday was one of them .

Booing during the game doesnt particularly achieve anything . If i were playing, booing would not motivate me , however , going 2 nil down away from home then having the whole away section start singing the loudest they possibly can and cheering me on , really would help .

However, we must also realise that everyone has invested a lot of time and money to get to peterborough , for a lot of people its the highlight of their week . So to be 2 nil down after 10 minutes is just desperately dissappointing .
    £26 for a ticket , £40 ish on transport , food , drink etc , its a huge outlay , also giving up 1 of your 2 days off a week shows great commitment.

So whilst its not for me , and i dont feel it does the team any good at all , i fully empathise with why some feel the need to boo , its purely down to frustration and dissappointment .

Invariably the ones who boo are the same vocal element cheering us on , their emotion is worn on their sleeves , and i for one , who loves a good sing and shout even with my advancing years , acknowledge that without them the atmosphere would be a damp squib which none of us want , they create the atmosphere .

Maybe its a case of 'the rough with the smooth' , we need their emotion to cheer us on to victory , and maybe need to channel their understandable frustration when we are doing poorly .

• I sympathise, though don't totally agree, with all you say @Frenchfry. The problem is a lot of our fans started complaining during the first away game of the season and have been looking for a chance to keep moaning ever since. The real irony is that a lot of the 'singing' group appear to be in their late teens to early 20s, meaning this is about the best season we've had in their living memory.

• It's not a modern, "by-product of the social media age" thing though is it, booing?

• Some people like booing. In the same way trevor and richie like to tell us how crap our manager and players are and how we will never get promoted/will get relegated.

• edited March 2019

I'm quite surprised at some of the vitriolic responses to my admission I booed a few truly crap, incessant long punts, at 2-0 down after 10 minutes.

To be told I don't deserve to support Wycombe, I'm an idiot, and am part of a moronic, cretinous element seems very OTT.

• @glasshalffull said:
    I agree with Floyd that booing players from your own team either during or after a game is unproductive and unjustified. It’s a fairly modern phenomenon and another by product of the social media age where people make instant judgements and need a scapegoat when things aren’t going to their satisfaction.
    We have done very well to get 43 points by this stage of the season and this was always going to be a tough period with games against the top teams in the division.
    We need to get behind the team, not boo them.

People used to boo at football matches well before social media.

I think in fact you’ve actually made social media a scapegoat for people being short tempered at football games.

If you buy a ticket you are entitled express whatever view you like within reason and without causing undue offence. Likewise, fellow spectators should feel free to voice their opposition to the ‘booers’.

• In hindsight I always wish my frustration hadn't got the better of me. I feel on the whole I am a measured fan.

But as others have mentioned, football is emotional, on certain days one is prone to being short tempered, and away days in particular are a significant outlay financially and time-wise.

Its easy to forget, in those moments where we are looking really naff on the pitch in a poor run, just how well the club is doing in the grand scheme of things.

• Also does anyone really believe that booing is a 'modern phenomenon'?

• @glasshalffull said:
    "I agree with Floyd that booing players from your own team either during or after a game is unproductive and unjustified. It’s a fairly modern phenomenon and another by product of the social media age"

What utter clap trap, If Mr Parry ever ventured into the cowshed at Loakes Park in the 70's and 80's, It was notorious for showing it's displeasure at underperforming players.
    But i guess he's more of an expert on 'standing ovations' than 'jeering'.

• Booing has been around forever... it's certainly not a modern thing

• edited March 2019

I may be wrong but I think during Gareth's first full season as manager there was a lot of booing. Some of it directed at him and our players. I don't boo the team or manager myself...although I have offered many valuable insights very loudly with regard to subs in the direction of Gareth during matches. I think booing is natural...though not when a player makes a mistake in the first five minutes...but I do think there are some Chairboys whose desire to boo outweighs their desire to see the team succeed. Which is sad.

• @glasshalffull said:

@Vincey said:

@glasshalffull said:

You’re correct, I used the wrong word when I wrote ‘recalled’ but the overall point is still valid, ie losing those players had nothing to do with the club believing that we were safe from the threat of relegation.

I think the point is more to do with whether we went all out to replace them. Not that anyone here knows that, or who might have been affordable and available.
    Its entirely possible that CMS wouldn't have been loaned out if the decision was taken a couple of weeks and a few losses later with nobody else brought in and none of the others in any form. But that is life..

• There was regular, and in my view generally justified booing, during Alan Smith's tenure.

• Smith was clearly a dreadful man and terrible manager by the time we were unfortunate to get him. Kicking out fans favourites, lashing wad out on less effective players. Long ball punting to guys sprinting after it.

But still, booing didn't do the players any favours