Skip to content

Match day thread: Coventry

Comments

• We desperately need Dev's contribution to this thread.

• edited October 2018

@Wendoverman said:
    @wycombedrummer9 said:
    This is me by the way the actual drummer uptheblues is my mate so if you got problem speak to me

@OxfordBlue said:

@wycombedrummer9 said:
    This is me by the way the actual drummer uptheblues is my mate so if you got problem speak to me

I've got quite a heavy painting I need to hang up. I don't know which drill bit to use for my rawl plug. Can you help?

My neighbour keeps parking in my allotted space...how should I approach this thorny issue without causing any on-going bad feeling?

I stand near the back of the terrace and enjoy your pulsating drum, except that one of my fellow fans has a problem with body odour. It's overpowering at the best of times, and worse in the latter part of the season, possibly due to the stress brought on by the team's performances on the pitch. I don't want to offend him, but if I tell him he smells I'm worried that it will affect our relationship. He's stood amongst us for years, but it seems no one has ever raised it before. Do I confront him about it, ask the Trust to deal with it – or just suffer in silence?

• I stand near the back of the terrace and enjoy your pulsating drum, except that one of my fellow fans has a problem with body odour. It's overpowering at the best of times, and worse in the latter part of the season, possibly due to the stress brought on by the team's performances on the pitch. I don't want to offend him, but if I tell him he smells I'm worried that it will affect our relationship. He's stood amongst us for years, but it seems no one has ever raised it before. Do I confront him about it, ask the Trust to deal with it – or just suffer in silence?

A classic conflict of interest!

• @mooneyman said:
    We desperately need Dev's contribution to this thread.

Said no-one ever

• @ValleyWanderer said:

I stand near the back of the terrace and enjoy your pulsating drum, except that one of my fellow fans has a problem with body odour. It's overpowering at the best of times, and worse in the latter part of the season, possibly due to the stress brought on by the team's performances on the pitch. I don't want to offend him, but if I tell him he smells I'm worried that it will affect our relationship. He's stood amongst us for years, but it seems no one has ever raised it before. Do I confront him about it, ask the Trust to deal with it – or just suffer in silence?

A classic conflict of interest!

Don't, or you'll get carrots boring on

• Maybe we need a 'Dear Drummer' weekly agony-uncle column...

• Alternatively @Shev he has taken one look at the gasroom thought what a load of witless abuse and taken his drum Home!

• @OxfordBlue said:

@Wendoverman said:
    @wycombedrummer9 said:

@OxfordBlue said:

@wycombedrummer9 said:

My neighbour keeps parking in my allotted space...how should I approach this thorny issue without causing any on-going bad feeling?

Have you tried shitting on his bonnet?

I tried that with my neighbour, the plan worked up until he joined the Marlow bypass.

• I can see the differences between this and last season why can’t Ainsworth??? The squad Ainsworth has created isn’t a bad one in my opinion... but the saddest thing is his tactics!!!
    Bayo needs to be coming off the bench this season when we need that plan B, that bit of mix it up! Why!? League 1 defenders are playing a higher line and winning a lot more against him! Was so affective last season in league 2 and the stats don’t lie. But we’re enough games in now for Ainsworth to realise his tactics don’t work.

433 really??? A 3 man midfield is just asking for trouble. The 3 in that mid need for me need to be of a different gravy for that to work! LW/RW work rate to track back needs to be high as hell also. CMS at his age constantly working up and down is a massive ask.

Long ball to Bayo clearly isn’t working... why the defenders are better and the defence sets themselves 15-20 yards further away from the oppositions goal. So the knock downs etc have on effectiveness. Plus the quality is awful at times...

Need to go into a 442. With players that compalment each other!

What everyone’s team? I know we’ve had injuries etc but if all is well and good? Also state why that player should play there....

Allsop in goal... need to command his box on crossed and set plays better thou and his kicking isn’t great. And move the ball faster grrrrrr. Great otherwise.

JJ Lb - solid and constant
    Harriman Rb - energy and work rate unreal
    Steward al-abd CBs... solid and complement each other.

Gape cm - great player being over worked right now.
    Thompson cm - trackles well and gives it simple and can play if need be.

Rotation of sammy Saunders and mattie B - due to age

Freeman as a free role- my opinion he’s a different level nothing mad but defo higher than league 1. Holds the ball well, good vision and a finish on him too.

Kashket up top - think he’s got a hammy issue so wouldn’t start as much as I would like so maybe rotate with CMS or Fred.

Other striker would be Samuals - impressed me in games he’s played (so be it mikey mouse) so far. Simple effective and links play together. Kashket inbehind and samauls dropping short.

Bayo inpacked sub. And Morris in with sammy and mattie. Need to start playing that footie and controlling games with possession over time wasting and long balls.

Also McCarthy is one of the worst players I’ve seen. He has no idea how to position himself. And his distribution is poor. I know we’re slim at the back and can only make do as of now but he needs dropping ASAP.

• I think everyone in the squad has a role to play. I would love to see a little more rotation in attack, as I am a big fan of Saunders and Freeman especially, but I don't think there is anyone in the squad who does not have the quality to contribute.

I am with you on still seeing Bayo as more of an impact sub ideally, though still starting some games. Despite the win against Burton, I feel as though we have not been creating a lot for a few games now. I think we need the rapier more than the hammer, so to speak...though Bayo is also one of the best players with the ball at his feet, so perhaps part of it is just playing style. It also depends on the opponent, as Burton did not know what to do with him, and he gave Luton all kinds of problems too. I think the main thing is being able to mix it up based on the situation.

As with any season, this will be a season of two halves personnel wise, with the loanees probably all going back in January, so the second half will be dictated a little by that, as I expect Fred, Williams, and Morris to be back at their parent clubs (with the possible exception of Williams), and it is possible that Curtis Thompson will do enough on his short contract to attract a permanent club that can pay more than us.

• The amount of talk about the drummer to me is madness. He sparks an atmosphere that others join in with. He’s the underline noise to the fans... how can anyone have a bad word or the audacity to complain? Take him away or stop him drumming I bet that the noise from the fans becomes minimal. Would you start a song a chant!? Few would... he drives the players on at the end of the day.

At home we need to change the away end around with the terrace. The atmosphere at Adams park is crap. No hight in the terrace doesn’t help. It just doesn’t project.

All this being said is whatever’s. Need to sort the football out 1st. Ainsworth (although I hate to say it is clueless) he’s done so much for us as a club and I thank him massively!!!

But as a manager he’s getting it all wrong. This 4-3-3 is something that I hate. Hit bayo as the only option and the focus of play. Which is fine to do but not constantly over the 90mins. To easy for the defender to set his stall out.
    There 5 Tom Davies at 6”1 so not actually tall in defender terms won pretty much everything against Bayo!

How can after 45mins not change what we are doing baffles me. The subs we did make is pretty mush like for like minus tracking back. But we waste time and play for the draw before this!!! Just really don’t get it.

Also this tactic of playing to bayo really is getting to me because the quality of balls into him is awful more than 50-60% of the time...

In summary just start play some footie and entertaining the fan or I’m gonna give up... it’s not a difficult ask but it sure is better than the crap I’m watching right now!!!!

• @Shev said:
    I think everyone in the squad has a role to play. I would love to see a little more rotation in attack, as I am a big fan of Saunders and Freeman especially, but I don't think there is anyone in the squad who does not have the quality to contribute.

I am with you on still seeing Bayo as more of an impact sub ideally, though still starting some games. Despite the win against Burton, I feel as though we have not been creating a lot for a few games now. I think we need the rapier more than the hammer, so to speak...though Bayo is also one of the best players with the ball at his feet, so perhaps part of it is just playing style. It also depends on the opponent, as Burton did not know what to do with him, and he gave Luton all kinds of problems too. I think the main thing is being able to mix it up based on the situation.

As with any season, this will be a season of two halves personnel wise, with the loanees probably all going back in January, so the second half will be dictated a little by that, as I expect Fred, Williams, and Morris to be back at their parent clubs (with the possible exception of Williams), and it is possible that Curtis Thompson will do enough on his short contract to attract a permanent club that can pay more than us.

I agree with you on all points. I’m not here to slate the team or be negative. I just want to see issues being addressed and different tactics being implemented.

Apart from McCarthy which I have nothing good to say for him. Also D. Charles hasn’t given me much to get excited about. Isn’t up to standards but not sure he’s fully fit...

My main cause for concern is the 4-3-3 formation that Ainsworth love so much! Just get over run every game with the 3 in the mid. Allow forward to make their runs and the mid to pick their pass. I hate it. Just want that addressing first and foremost

• Some genuinely awful posts here

• I think he (presumably) had a sleepless night. “In summary just start play some footie and entertaining the fan or I’m gonna give up...” Words fail me.

• Who’d be a football manager?

• @eric_plant said:
    Some genuinely awful posts here

Unless you elaborate, your post is fairly awful too.

• dreadful response

• I’m not sure what impressed me most, DaveyK’s tactical acumen or his command of the English language. How on earth did GA guide the club to promotion when he is so clearly unsuited to a managerial role? And as for McCarthy! What were a Premier League club (Southampton) thinking in giving him a contract and a Championship club (Barnsley) thinking in playing him in their team?

• @glasshalffull said:
    I’m not sure what impressed me most, DaveyK’s tactical acumen or his command of the English language. How on earth did GA guide the club to promotion when he is so clearly unsuited to a managerial role? And as for McCarthy! What were a Premier League club (Southampton) thinking in giving him a contract and a Championship club (Barnsley) thinking in playing him in their team?

Sorry if I’m not grammatically correct blah blah blah. I’m not sitting my GCSE so what does it matter! I couldn’t careless. I’ve done well for myself in life...
    I’m sure you read and understood my opinion.

He’s crap get a grip! He’s been loaned out because he’s not good enough! If you can’t see it, then you are the fool.

How about conversating with some respect and construction into the issues at hand rather than attacking me???

• Not long woken up. Had a quick scroll (if you’ll pardon the expression) and lighted upon the extraordinary musings of @DaveyK. I thought perhaps I’d gone back to sleep and was having a weird nightmare.

With such a comprehensive dissection of the qualities and characteristics of pretty much the whole squad and the clueless manager’s tactics, there are inevitably one or two criticisms which have the ring of truth but, much as I admire Nick Freeman, to describe him as being “higher than League 1” is stretching it a bit and to dismiss Jason McCarthy as he does suggests that he is a recent arrival on the scene (and I don’t mean just his arrival on the Gasroom in the wee small hours). And of course Scott Kashket has “hammy issues”. Hardly surprising.

• Let's not attack Davey over spelling and grammar; posting on the Gasroom isn't an English exam. On the substance of his points there's much to agree with.

Jason McCarthy should be one of the best players on the pitch but he hasn't yet got to that standard. His distribution at right back has been poor at times and he's not attacked the wings like either Harriman or Jacobson. Has he any assists yet? His tackling is good and his positioning is usually excellent but I clearly am not alone in hoping for more from him.

I still see the answer to our selection conundrum on the right as moving to a 442 which would accommodate two of McCarthy, Harriman and PCH, while we'd also be able to give Jacobson more support on the left while also accommodating one of Freeman and Tyson, when he's back. That will allow us to pick two of Stewart, el Abd, Charles or Jombati in the middle of defence rather than cram in McCarthy, who does appear undroppable.

A central midfield of Gape and Thompson - who has done enough to supplant Morris in my opinion - gives us good defensive cover, if not height. The wingers can provide the creativity with Saunders off the bench if we're behind. A traditionally narrow front two rotating between the array of attacking talent we have depending on the circumstances would keep any opposition on their toes.

The central thesis Davey expounds - that Gareth Ainsworth assembles a great squad but then fails to make the most of it - is one I've made before and, even with the promotion, tend to agree with. He's so good at spotting talent; Curtis Thompson is just the latest example of a player none of us really rated but has come good under his management. Yet the 433 long ball to Bayo so very clearly is not working and we are precariously close to the drop zone after a third of the season. We could be doing so much better with a bit of tactical malibility. You don't need to be the world's best speller to see that.

• I'm not come to gasroom wanting to be negative but some of the posters on here are crap and the moderators hav no idea need sacking. Be writing fun good stuff not boring blah blah trust legacies. All the players playing are crap all players on bench premiership standard if you can not see that you should open eyes. COYB

• Lose 1 game and suddenly the manager doesn’t have a clue and should be sacked. Sitting outside the relagation zone on a shoestring budget with some decent results under our belt doesn’t look bad to me.

We were terrible against Cov, that happens. It’s football! I’ll be interested to see your posts @DaveyK if we win on Saturday or if we lose I assume you’ll be giving up? True fan hey.

@Wendoverman POTD

• I’m not taking seriously anyone who describes McCarthy as crap, no matter how much they waffle on.

• These @DaveyK posts are a poor and obvious wind up. Never understood why someone has spent the time to post under a different name.

• I’d like to think so too, @Right_in_the_Middle , but unfortunately I believe those are the genuine thoughts of a real Wycombe fan.

• I must say I do have my suspicions

The talk of moving home fans to the other end seems too obvious a wind up to me

• If he's ready to give up after one poor performance then he isn't a true fan anyway, true fans stick through it no matter what... I'd have given up years ago after losing to the Met Police if that was the case !! And that good awful season a few years ago when we nearly went down

• In fairness that could improve the atmosphere @eric_plant