Skip to content

Match day thread: Coventry

1235»

Comments

• DaveyK: ‘He’s crap, get a grip’, ‘he’s been loaned out (incorrect, he’s signed a contract with Wycombe) because he’s not good enough’, ‘if you can’t see it then you are the fool’, followed by the ironic comment ‘how about conversating (sic) with some respect’. I believe the acronym is YCMIU.

• Fromtheinside, I believe the club tried to do this some years ago but the idea was dropped due to objections from the police and other authorities.

• The objections from home fans who wanted to be able to stand didn't play a role?

• Eric, you are probably right about that but I certainly remember the police saying that they weren’t happy about away fans having to walk through crowds of home fans to get to their stand.

• Joking aside...my view...for what it's worth is that the start of the first season in the new league is packed with League games, Cups (both Caroboooo and KwikFitAutoVase) and we still have the FA Cup to come. Juggling the squad is bound to happen. Gaz needs to keep us sixth from bottom or better, so that once we have won the Trading Standards Equity Trophy and are knocked out in the FA Cup semis, we will have a decent run to avoid relegation. We are lucky this term that we have players to come back and a reasonable bench, while Morris and Thompson are doing a job and will hopefully stay. To be fair, quibbling about bench and timing of subs aside, the team Gaz has put out has been okay with me (as far as I can recall) and he cannot stop the other team playing or will the ball over the line. Stand firm we are not even at half-time in the season yet.

• edited October 2018

There's no wind up in Davey K's post, it's just utter drone army fickle nonsense.

"I know Gareth got us promoted" and then still pour into nonsensical witterings is amazing.

It's almost like things are harder in a higher division or something.

In a few more weeks time, that CMS game away at Bradford will be elevated to near Brazil 1970s mythology.

• It makes sense now. Someone just told me it's Bring Your Facebook to Gasroom Week.

• It was quite disturbing that even last year there were undercurrents of anti Ainsworth, even when we were right up there all season!

• I am now fully awake and have had a chance to take a more considered look at Davey’s posts (I only saw the first one earlier) and other people’s comments.

Firstly, I have to agree with Chris that Davey’s opinions appear to be sincerely held. Not sure I’d describe him as a real fan though.

Secondly, as I indicated earlier, he makes a few points, particularly in relation to 4-3-3 versus 4-4-2, that I reckon quite a few would agree with. In that context, I am very much in accord (by no means for the first time) with @aloysius. Loved the irony, intended or not, of his own misspelling of “malleability” in the penultimate sentence!

• FYI @micra it was intended... ahem... :/

• The whole swapping home and away ends idea is nonsense. I went to a Clapton CFC game on Friday night and on a tiny terrace with almost a roof the atmosphere was amazing. And it was a friendly.

• @aloysius: I get your drift ! ?

• @HolmerBlue Please, please, please don’t mention that M** P****e game ever again. I have had to book another session with my counsellor now. And if ANYONE mentions B@&£)?&$%#e....

• Still bemused how people are critising the manager in mid October to be honest.

• @fromtheside some of them have been a bit late this year to be honest. I think the shock of getting promoted had them choking and wretching for a while.

• @glasshalffull I believe the Abbreviation is YCMIU.

See i’ve been paying attention in @micra’s classes...

• I stand corrected.

• @bookertease said:
    @HolmerBlue Please, please, please don’t mention that M** P****e game ever again. I have had to book another session with my counsellor now. And if ANYONE mentions B@&£)?&$%#e....

Terribly sorry @bookertease haha.... that's always the one that's stuck in my mind that took a long time to get over !

• Eastwood wasn’t a great result.

• WTF is an acronym. That’s a definition, not a question BTW, so I don’t see why YCMIU shouldn’t be. @bookertease is being just a little mischievous I think because I really hadn’t a clue and have had to do some digging myself in an attempt to establish what constitutes what. I’ve seen WTF, LOL, IMHO etc described as general acronyms but it seems that a true acronym can be spoken as a word, eg NATO, UNESCO and AIDS.

Abbreviations are generally shortened versions of words, eg Mr, Dr, Rev and Prof.
    WTF, LOL and YCMIU are sometimes described as initialisms - a form of abbreviation in which individual letters are pronounced separately, as in BBC, for example.

Exciting, what ! ?

• @micra we're not going to get young people into the Gasroom with posts like that...even if they are free.

• Exactly!

• Me? Mischievous?

• Eastwood was definitely not a great result but a) I didn’t go and b) I remember at the time almost expecting it.

VS Rugby is another one that I shudder at the memory of

• I know. ?

• He's certainly come from absolutely nowhere to deliver the diatribe of his life. Quite remarkable. But in true David Coleman style, I think maybe he's gone too soon.

I'm also wondering, with so much 'passion' for the club, why he didn't feel like sharing all his excitement with us last May. It would at least have added a bit of balance, and thus credence, to this particular set of rants.

I know Aloysius doesn't like grammar-bashing - but whilst I wanted to make a special commendation for Davey's use of "conversating", and an honorable mention for Aloysius's "malibility", I see that I'm too late - the Grammar Police have already cordoned off this thread.