Skip to content

Match day thread: Norwich (League Cup)

Comments

• If York Exile is referring to my post, I don’t understand his/her use of the word ‘sinister’. I said that disappointing attendances were a major reason (not the only reason) why the Trust board has declared the present model unsustainable. How can anyone argue with that?
    An extra 1,000 Wycombe fans for every home league game would be worth at least £350k per season in gate receipts alone, add in extra match day spend and you’re getting close to the figure revealed as our annual deficit.

• They don't all have to be Wycombe fans: away fans can count in that extra 1000 too.

As it happens, our average attendance over the four home league games this season to date is up by more than 1000 (1082.5) compared to the first four home league games last season. People are predicting a good attendance for this weekend's game against Southend and we haven't played the likes of Portsmouth, Sunderland, Bradford and Barnsley yet, all of which I expect to be well attended.

Perhaps life in League One already is promising to generate almost enough revenue through matchday tickets, parking, programmes, F&B, hospitality, etc. to plug the gap in our accounts.

• @glasshalffull I don’t think anyone is disputing that an extra 1000 fans through the gate regularly would help our finances significantly.

I would dispute that we/the board have the right to be disappointed that we haven’t (although @Uncle_T’s post is food for thought). I’m disappointed that I didn’t win the lottery last week but I don’t plan my spending on the possibility I might.

• @Uncle_T - Unfortunately any income from increased attendances is probably eaten up by higher wages and general investment in the squad, e.g. purchase of Mccarthy.

• There was, (maybe still is), a lady who sat near the back of the Beechdean, somewhere close to the directors area who regularly shrilled "get it out" every time the ball was in or near our penalty box. Such was the volume and possibly the high pitch of it that I regularly used to shudder from a block and a half away. It was almost as though the defence hadn't thought of that before her vociferous instruction? I think maybe she could give GA and Dobbo some coaching. :-)

• @mooneyman That's quite possible. Another possibility is that the purchase of McCarthy was finded from monies received from the sale of Luke O'Nien. Maybe the purchase of McCarthy consumed both the increased income and the O'Nien receipts; or, just maybe, there will be a bit left over to plug the gap.

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    There was, (maybe still is), a lady who sat near the back of the Beechdean, somewhere close to the directors area who regularly shrilled "get it out" every time the ball was in or near our penalty box. Such was the volume and possibly the high pitch of it that I regularly used to shudder from a block and a half away. It was almost as though the defence hadn't thought of that before her vociferous instruction? I think maybe she could give GA and Dobbo some coaching. :-)

Sorry, wrong thread and can't appear to delete it? Beggered if I know whats going on with this site, I know I used to be able to correct/edit, not now!!!

• I remember her! Not sure about her coaching abilities but would make a great cheerleader.

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    There was, (maybe still is), a lady who sat near the back of the Beechdean, somewhere close to the directors area who regularly shrilled "get it out" every time the ball was in or near our penalty box. Such was the volume and possibly the high pitch of it that I regularly used to shudder from a block and a half away. It was almost as though the defence hadn't thought of that before her vociferous instruction? I think maybe she could give GA and Dobbo some coaching. :-)

Perhaps she was talking to you!

• ... the problem, of course, for those of us who are not involved in the running of the club and who are not party to full financial information, is that we don't know how much was received for O'Nien, we don't know how much was paid for McCarthy, we don't know precisly how much income a 1000 fan increase generates per match, we don't know ... well, we don't really know anything, other than what the club and Trust board decide to share with us.

My comment above is mere speculation that matchday incomes over the 2018/2019 season are likely to be noticeably higher than they were for the previous season or two; i.e. than the incomes currently being presented as part of the justification for sale of part or all of the football club.

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@EwanHoosaami said:

Sorry, wrong thread and can't appear to delete it? Beggered if I know whats going on with this site, I know I used to be able to correct/edit, not now!!!

No further detailed than most posts, there's a guy in the terrace who screams "away, away" rather high pitched every time the ball gets on our half , very annoying.

• @StrongestTeam quite a rotund young man? On the mid to lower steps to the right hand side as you face the pitch? Think I might know the lad you mean.

• back to the game, have we talked about Alsopp's "effort" for their 2nd goal?

Just sort of watched it pass quite close to him an into the side of the goal he should have been guarding

• It is fair to say young Rocky hasn't quite performed at his peak so far.

• I wasn't there to witness it first hand, but Goal Cam gives a very good angle. There's little excuse for him not at least making an attempt to stop it, but I don't honestly think he'd have got there. He was bang in the middle of the goal and it was pretty close to the top corner, struck with decent power from just outside the box.

Not a fan Eric? For me, he's been a little unconvincing at times (to say the least) but has made some very important contributions. I'm confident he will improve, and let's be fair, he has had a lot to do.

• I think he's good, and a definite upgrade on Brown

He had a bad game on Tuesday though

• @Malone said:
    It is fair to say young Rocky hasn't quite performed at his peak so far.

Our defensive problems appear to be mountain

• He could have got his Andes to that shot but he’d also expect better Alp from his defenders.

• Brownie did well to get us to the summit of League Two, but If I know Rocky, he won't ever rest until he's reached the top.

• @YorkExile , sounds like Lynch - he seemed to let in vast numbers of goals without even moving.

• “a definite upgrade on Brown“ says @eric_plant

• And you disagree?

• These puns are so cringy I'm Tenzing up.

• @Jonny_King said:
    These puns are so cringy I'm Tenzing up.

Hilaryious.

• @Malone said:
    @YorkExile , sounds like Lynch - he seemed to let in vast numbers of goals without even moving.

He conceded eight goals in his extensive Wycombe career.

• @Malone said:
    It is fair to say young Rocky hasn't quite performed at his peak so far.

Summit like that.

• @Jonny_King I only joined in the puns because they were there.

• Eiger rather think we now out of thread range, but that suggestion may get snowdon.

• Mornington Crescent.