Skip to content

Match day thread: Norwich (League Cup)

Comments

• @Malone said:
    That 4th goal was fairly early wasn't it? People actually walked out?

Obviously not tight wads like some of us, who would stay to the bitter end even if it was a Huddersfield at home (twice) job.

Two people behind me left with 10 minutes to go - mind you they had spent most of the game talking about Chelsea!

• edited September 2018

Sadly I was working but once I've turned up and paid I stay until the bitter end...Ironically when you're four goals down is sort of when you need people there to get behind you innit?

'We're Wycombe til we're four down and don;t look like getting back into it..Wycombe til we're four down and don't look like getting back into it' ...as the song goes.

• @Keith_Allens_Wig said:
    Was disappointed in the attendance initially, thought that the club offering a tenner entry and opening the upper tier deserved better from the Wycombe public. Non-attenders certainly missed a great game.

Though there was no indication of this at 0-2 and 1-4 and I saw plenty walk out once the 4th went in. Very frustrating as we were actually playing well but our defending was shocking. They weren't all that for the vast majority of the game, though when they wanted to turn it on, they were lethal, Same with us TBH, our best spell was after we were 4-1 down, how CMS missed that chance I don't know.

In the end it was great to watch and a good value night out

I think that’s a very fair summing up of the game and of the problem regarding the size of our crowds. A tenner to get in, a good Championship team in opposition and no Champions League or other counter attractions on TV. However, we still failed to get more than 4,000 spectators with almost half of them being Norwich supporters. Is it any wonder that the Trust board are having difficulty balancing the books?

• edited September 2018

some of us find it hard to make midweek games @glasshalffull I suspect had that been an FA Cup game on a Saturday more would have turned out. Although as an ST holder I am there at League games even if I'm not...

• When clubs from Top flight to Div 2 field weakened teams, you can hardly be suprised that the general public have the same attitude to this competition.

• I understand and am sympathetic towards the very valid reasons-finance, family,travel,work etc-that people are unable to attend games but the reality is that disappointing attendances are a major reason why the Trust board has stated that our current financial situation is unsustainable.

• The attendance was disappointing but we need to at least give credit to those who turned up on the night. I personally enjoyed a very good cup game but there were a number of people around me who had travelled a decent way to watch us try and get to the next round, and who were pretty surprised and disappointed by the weakened line up we turned out.
    As I said, I enjoyed the game last night and I was also one of the 500 odd fans at the Fulham U21 game the week before, which was also a good game and possibly a springboard for the excellent draw at Pompey.

• Trouble is, the manager can’t win in these situations. Had he fielded the team that drew at Portsmouth and we’d still lost, people would have been asking why he’d risked our best players in a cup tie when League One survival is the main priority and why didn’t he take the opportunity to give fringe players a game.

• Yes very good point. I for one like to see the rest of the squad get a run out.
    However, as stated earlier, we probably cannot expect our supporters to take this competition seriously with nearly every club up and down the country fielding weakened teams.

• Just going by the posts on here, I suspect it may have been suddenly playing three at the back against a Championship side rather than the players used that caused some head-scratching @glasshalffull We have the players in reserve to play a 4-3-3 even if The gaz wants to rest some of them.

• Are our attendances that “disappointing’? I appreciate that most Cup games are poorly attended but that seems to be a consistent trend nationally (for reasons stated elsewhere).

I know we would all like to see Adams Park full every game but I think we do okay given that until recently we have been a little starved of success, it can be expensive, parking and exiting the ground is problematical (and apparently we serve “dog food”).

It would have been nice to see the efforts of the team over the last two or three years rewarded with a few more regulars, but it is a little unwise to expect this to happen and slightly disingenuous to blame this for our unsustainability.

The high wages necessary to compete at this level, the loss of incentive to develop and sell your own players, and the excessive media pre-occupation with the Premier League are much more realistic scapegoats for our current situation than the disinterested and apathetic Wycombe public.

To go all @marlowchair though our marketing to said public in recent years doesn’t appear to have been that noticeable or effective (although no longer living locally I am not well placed to judge), so I don’t think we’ve exactly helped ourselves as much as we could/should have done (okay I know we have minimal budget to do so).

• I think the surprise was a mixture of the wacky formation, and the use of players who can't get into the league team.

I don't think this one extra game was going to cause too much problem to the season as á whole now - we have a huge squad.

It will be interesting to see the next lineup now. Someone like Samuel surely has earned his place in the 18 as a minimum?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @fame_46 , third game back. People keep forgetting the Checkatrade debut.

• I think he's a solid chap, but I thought he was all over the shop at times yesterday.
    Basics like letting a high ball bounce, mix ups with the keeper.

However, for league 1 I think he'll be more than fine.

Although it's harsh on Harriman, I really like having three tall players who are handy in the air at the back. I miss it from the Sido right back seasons.

Otherwise, I've felt we look a bit weak back there, especially when it was El Abd as one of the two, as he's not the strongest in the air

• edited September 2018

Er, @fame_46, it was the Fulham kids he played against, not Northampton.

• just tried to edit peasantry to pedantry on here and I keep getting this message and not able to edit.
    The "KudosPlugin" object does not have a "xDiscussionController_CommentOptions_Handler" method.|KudosPlugin|xDiscussionController_CommentOptions_Handle
    Anyone translate into plain English please?

• A rough translation is "don't worry, your change has been made, but you'll have to refresh the page to see it"

• The central defensive situation certainly looks one hell of a lot brighter than it did when the stand ins were Muller and WDH. No disrespect to them but they just weren't quite good enough for league 2.

Gaz is a sharp cookie, and he certainly won't have missed that Stewart getting injured for long spells has almost rucked us this last few seasons. However, even he must be surprised at how well Sido has stepped up.

• edited September 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Jordan Rhodes must have a decent goals to games ratio against Wycombe.

• 7 goals in 104 minutes at Adams Park !!

• @perfidious_albion said:

@Malone said:
    @Blue_since_1990 , whoops!! 3-4! ahem.

I did get in 3 mins late, due to my own foolishness of forgetting that the ticket office can't deal with queues of over 20 people!!

It was so badly organised yet again:

• I was told when I bought over the phone that tickets could be picked up from the blue kiosk, it was closed.
    • The box office for ticket purchase was not long but...
    • Most people had joined the other line that was for picking up tickets, mostly away fans as signage was v poor.
    • The lad ‘in charge’ was just standing there, overwhelmed, doing nothing, probably not his fault, had he been briefed ?
    • I look it upon myself to walk the line explaining the two different lines, around a third of folk could then join the short line to buy tickets.

I was told recently that Andrew Howard when still Chairman had told staff that we had to behave like a Championship club. For me the media team do but the ‘front of house’ functions are still div2 at best.
    What is it going to be like when the likes of Sunderland and Pompey turn up!

Perhaps the solution will be the same as the Food and Beverage solution, give up and outsource ticketing and turnstile operations for a percentage of revenue......

I get shot down for and labelled as constantly negative, but these are real issues eveident for anyone to see on match day, they have been issues for a long time. This isn't a criticism of directors or volunteers, we pay people to address this and manage the club.

• @Uncle_T said:
    @mooneyman "The Board have made it clear that a part sale is urgently required to investors they are currently negotiating with."

I hope they haven't, because that would the club in a very poor negotiating position. If they have any idea what they are doing I would expect them to be 'bigging up' the club's prospects as much as possible to any potential investors and, in the event that the investors question why a different story is being given publicly to Trust members, passing that off as just the way it needs to be spun to smooth the way for maximum investment.

Well said and this is a very real concern of mine. We have the FD and Chairman standing in front of trust members and communicating via trust email , saying we are desperate. They make no secret of it and in fact appear to want to over state the financial doomsday we are heading towards....whilst at the same time overseeing negotiations to sell some, or all of our club? It makes absolutely no commercial sense at all.

That said, any inference or suggestion we were not trying to win the cup tie this week is utter tosh.

• I thought this was the Norwich match day thread?

• So did I. Get off.

• @bookertease said:
    It would have been nice to see the efforts of the team over the last two or three years rewarded with a few more regulars, but it is a little unwise to expect this to happen and slightly disingenuous to blame this for our unsustainability.

Slightly disingenuous? I found it a little more sinister than that.

• I can be polite when I try...