Match day thread: Norwich (League Cup)

Comments

• Samuel was superb , deserved MOM

Sido was great too - again

Really thrilling tie

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Beast gets his first goal

It's been given to McCarthy

• To give a championship team a 3 goal lead and then watch them piddling around in the corner wasting seconds at the end is rare. Good bit of spirit towards the end. Who Norwich get in the next round might cloud our opinion of how we set up and whether that was the right thing to do.

• Third goal was Bayo's

• How did CMS miss that chance at the end? All he had to do was let it hit him. The way he avoided contact with the ball was reminiscent of Simon Stapleton vs Rochdale all those years ago.

Really frustrating game that. We gave away some appalling goals and could have given away more, mainly down to mix ups between Allsopp and Charles which had to be seen to be disbelieved.

And yet once we started dicking about with 3 at the back and played properly we could have taken it to penalties at least.

A missed opportunity

• Sky sports highlights nearly as good as the bfp reporting..... missed our first goal

• Are you @glasshalfempty in disguise?

• After what we all heard at the fans forum, a cup run is crucial.... A win today could have been far more viral than the game on Saturday.

Not if Stroud and Co (under instructions from Beeks and Kane?) are determined to push through the part sale to new investors! Extra money from cup runs would reduce the need for this investment.

I hope this is a joke because if you believe that the players were deliberately trying to lose to suit an agenda that has to be the daftest conspiracy theory of all.

• Isn't CMS offside for Bayo/McCarthy's goal ?

• Thought it was a good game at the end, wasn't thinking that after 20 mins though. Thought it might be a real drubbing. Missed the first three goals as was getting a burger (very nice by the way) but bloke in the bar told me (so it must be true) they hand balled it leading up to the goal so should've had a free kick.

Really good cup tie with the turnip pullers looking class through midfield in the first half. However then came the second half and what a game. The boys showed a real fighting spirit and for the first time in a long time I felt all the lads gave their all and played well. Good to see Samuels and a few of the others get a run out. Looks good for the league if we can do that with effectively our second string.

Roll on Sarfend. COYB!

• Missed 3 goals?! So about 15mins? Madness.
    Turned out to be a terrific game and great spirit to not give up from the players when most of us had.

Just a shame we started with such a strange setup and gave them a headstart,albeit with their first two goals seeming a bit handbally

• @bigred87 said:
    Sky sports highlights nearly as good as the bfp reporting..... missed our first goal

I thought I was going mad!

Allsop certainly had a bit of a stinker didn't he? Strange decision maker sometimes.

• As enjoyable as a defeat can get. Tremendous attacking and excitement in the second half. Could easily have been a Preston at 0-2 and 1-4 but credit to the team and GA for believing

• Great second half but as everyone has said, it was a bit of a strange experimental line up, especially when we had a great chance of going through to possibly draw a big club.
    Allsop made some great stops but was very hesitant last night.
    Some real good football at times and great spirit to drag ourselves back into the game. Roll on Southend. COYB!

• The first few minutes I feared for us, we were a mess. Once again Freeman adapted and played really intelligently against very decent opposition. I don't know why he is not a starter for us most weeks.
    Plenty of other nods to players who have not had a lot of game time. Samuel showed what a nuisance player he could be and his linking with CMS and the midfield was exceptional at times.
    Now lets build on that

• Samuel is surprisingly good at holding the ball up. Also has a bit of the Andy Baird sty;e of fearless running and battling.
    Not sure where he'll find a regular spot, but he's a good option to come in for cup games.

Charles and Allsop had a right old comedy moment with a ball falling just short of the pen area. Allsop scrabbling around on his knees having wild flails at the ball with his hands, then realising it was outside the area. How we got away with that incident I don't know.

It ended 2-4, it could easily have been double.

• @Malone, that was a funny incident. Did you miss a goal though?

• That wasn't their only mix up either. Was like Keystone Cops back there

• @glasshalffull said:

After what we all heard at the fans forum, a cup run is crucial.... A win today could have been far more viral than the game on Saturday.

Not if Stroud and Co (under instructions from Beeks and Kane?) are determined to push through the part sale to new investors! Extra money from cup runs would reduce the need for this investment.

I hope this is a joke because if you believe that the players were deliberately trying to lose to suit an agenda that has to be the daftest conspiracy theory of all.

As usual, you twist people's comments and take them out of context.

My comment was in response to another poster saying that a good cup run was crucial to the club's finances. The Board have made it clear that a part sale is urgently required to investors they are currently negotiating with. Therefore any windfall might scupper their plans.

At no time did I suggest that the players were not trying, they certainly were. However putting out a weakened side and using fringe players to operate an experimental system I would suggest doesn't give you the best chance of progressing to the next round and a possible cash bonus.

• @mooneyman "The Board have made it clear that a part sale is urgently required to investors they are currently negotiating with."

I hope they haven't, because that would the club in a very poor negotiating position. If they have any idea what they are doing I would expect them to be 'bigging up' the club's prospects as much as possible to any potential investors and, in the event that the investors question why a different story is being given publicly to Trust members, passing that off as just the way it needs to be spun to smooth the way for maximum investment.

• @mooneyman Sorry, but you seriously think the board and Ainsworth are purposely losing cup games, to make sure we lose revenue, to force through a sale? I thought you were joking...

• As usual, you twist people's comments and take them out of context.

My comment was in response to another poster saying that a good cup run was crucial to the club's finances. The Board have made it clear that a part sale is urgently required to investors they are currently negotiating with. Therefore any windfall might scupper their plans.

At no time did I suggest that the players were not trying, they certainly were. However putting out a weakened side and using fringe players to operate an experimental system I would suggest doesn't give you the best chance of progressing to the next round and a possible cash bonus.

I don’t think I did twist your comments or take them out of context. You seemed to be suggesting that there was a hidden agenda behind fielding what you call a weakened team. Do you honestly believe that the club didn’t want the cash bonus for beating Norwich and possibly securing a lucrative tie against Premier League opposition in the next round just because it suited the narrative they outlined on September 12?

• @Uncle_T said:
    @mooneyman "The Board have made it clear that a part sale is urgently required to investors they are currently negotiating with."

I hope they haven't, because that would the club in a very poor negotiating position. If they have any idea what they are doing I would expect them to be 'bigging up' the club's prospects as much as possible to any potential investors and, in the event that the investors question why a different story is being given publicly to Trust members, passing that off as just the way it needs to be spun to smooth the way for maximum investment.

Isn't the fact that the Board has unequivocally stated that the club is losing around £500,000k per year and that this is unsustainable, an indication that urgent investment is required?

• @mooneyman That's how the message was presented at the recent Trust meeting and you appear to have come to the conclusion that the presenters want 75% or more of legacy Trust members to come to.

• @Blue_since_1990 , whoops!! 3-4! ahem.

I did get in 3 mins late, due to my own foolishness of forgetting that the ticket office can't deal with queues of over 20 people!!

• @Malone said:
    @Blue_since_1990 , whoops!! 3-4! ahem.

I did get in 3 mins late, due to my own foolishness of forgetting that the ticket office can't deal with queues of over 20 people!!

It was so badly organised yet again:

• I was told when I bought over the phone that tickets could be picked up from the blue kiosk, it was closed.
    • The box office for ticket purchase was not long but...
    • Most people had joined the other line that was for picking up tickets, mostly away fans as signage was v poor.
    • The lad ‘in charge’ was just standing there, overwhelmed, doing nothing, probably not his fault, had he been briefed ?
    • I look it upon myself to walk the line explaining the two different lines, around a third of folk could then join the short line to buy tickets.

I was told recently that Andrew Howard when still Chairman had told staff that we had to behave like a Championship club. For me the media team do but the ‘front of house’ functions are still div2 at best.
    What is it going to be like when the likes of Sunderland and Pompey turn up!

• edited September 2018

I did notice that there were 3 windows where you can buy on the day.

The one i was in only had about 7 people in, whereas about 50 people were queueing for the other 2.
    I suddenly worried i was in some sort of away queue.

Add to that some geezer in a suit shouting "terrace, you can buy on the gate", and some kid wandering around holding tonnes of envelopes, despite the 4th window being for pre-booked, it was a strange set up.

• Was disappointed in the attendance initially, thought that the club offering a tenner entry and opening the upper tier deserved better from the Wycombe public. Non-attenders certainly missed a great game.

Though there was no indication of this at 0-2 and 1-4 and I saw plenty walk out once the 4th went in. Very frustrating as we were actually playing well but our defending was shocking. They weren't all that for the vast majority of the game, though when they wanted to turn it on, they were lethal, Same with us TBH, our best spell was after we were 4-1 down, how CMS missed that chance I don't know.

In the end it was great to watch and a good value night out

• That 4th goal was fairly early wasn't it? People actually walked out?

Obviously not tight wads like some of us, who would stay to the bitter end even if it was a Huddersfield at home (twice) job.