Skip to content

Food and beverage

Comments

• edited August 2018

@kiscokid said:
    Most of the outsourcing I’ve seen in business is utter garbage. Take the hospitals and Sodexo catering - you wouldn’t let your dog eat some of that muck. Why would a football franchise be any better?

Simple really. You serve up pig muck, people don't buy it, you go out of business.

Chatting to @fame_46 last night, I think we both agreed, that a separate kiosk, (ie the "Kenco coffee' one that sits looking derelict down the side of the terrace), that could serve, coffee (£2), cold drinks (£2), a selection of cold baguettes (£3 each, that they sell ample of at The farm Shop at Booker for £2.65) and bars of chocolates at £1 each would reduce the long queues for hot food at the burger & chip counters. A hole sculptured in the side of it and the separating fence and it could service both the Beechdean and the standing terrace, obviously needing 2/3 staff. Reduced waiting times, would clearly be more attractive and likely to hugely increase F&B sales, with "customers" more willing to part with their hard earn money?

• Bring Lindy Lou in!

• Outsourced catering is nearly always a disaster. @EssexWanderer's vending machines idea above would be a great start though.

• The food at Dorking Wanderers a couple of weeks back looked amazing btw.

• @NewburyWanderer said:
    Bring Lindy Lou in!

Here here! Best value & tasting burgers for 100 miles!

• Can I suggest Costco in Franchiseland or Watfordia (North of)...they have lots of stuff at very good prices for people who work in the catering. It sounds like someone at AP might need the information.

• Vending machines that take contactless would solve a lot of the problems, leaving the confused youths to concentrate on getting a pie hot with any oven that still works.

This shambles must be losing us thousands every home game.

Sadly the ‘serve pig muck go out of business’ maxim is definitely not the case in hospitals... Or anywhere else where there’s a captive audience. In fact, AP’s dire catering is another reason to say no to Friday night fixtures.

• Seriously though, who eats at football?

It's almost always terrible.

That van just outside the gates is nice if you're hungry

• @eric_plant I agree...kick-off is well after lunch. I might have a pint...and take a beverage and a mars bar with me. I don't pay hundreds of thousands every year into the transfer kitty to miss the second half queuing for a spotty teen burger. (I do not eat my dinner in the pictures either...)

• @eric_plant: I think I'm of a similar mindset to you but there's little denying that the modern audience is a bit more willing to part with their hard-earned than might have once been the case. For example, the Yankees have a whole page on their website dedicated to describing the (remarkable) range of f and b offerings at the stadium - https://www.mlb.com/yankees/ballpark/food - a lot of which, from experience, is notably expensive. Something of an apples and pears comparison, I accept, but the point is that, if you hit the right mark, there's a market there. One would like to think we could be a club that learnt to find that mark and cash in.

• @eric_plant said:
    Seriously though, who eats at football?

It's almost always terrible.

That van just outside the gates is nice if you're hungry

Lots of people - especially midweek. If you’ve got a long journey, service stations are hardly a bargain and traffic is so unreliable the focus has to be getting to the ground. Granted, not a great problem if you live and work in the Wycombe area but not everyone does.

Point is, there’s money to be made regardless of how daft you may think people are.

The queue at that van’s always massive, plus I prefer to dine seated!

• I often eat at football and expect it to be average/poor. I don't mind. Just don't want to queue for very long or queue and there be nothing left.

• There must be some local caterers who would supply Asian food. I would try a samosa at half time.

• I've still got the business plan for the Eddie Monsoon soup stand somewhere

• @railwaysteve The trader who walked along the front of the terrace selling warm samosas at Forest Green last season sold out pretty quick. They were good too.

• @Uncle_T: I took a pork pie up the ground from Nailsworth - I wished I hadn't when I saw and smelt those.

• They were delicious - the best I've had.

• @Uncle_T said:
    @railwaysteve The trader who walked along the front of the terrace selling warm samosas at Forest Green last season sold out pretty quick. They were good too.

I was rather impressed with FGR's catering, the veggie burger I had was splendid. But I'm afraid to think that what ever the good ideas the fans suggest will fall on deaf ears. As has happened before.

• @HCblue said:
    @eric_plant: I think I'm of a similar mindset to you but there's little denying that the modern audience is a bit more willing to part with their hard-earned than might have once been the case. For example, the Yankees have a whole page on their website dedicated to describing the (remarkable) range of f and b offerings at the stadium - https://www.mlb.com/yankees/ballpark/food - a lot of which, from experience, is notably expensive. Something of an apples and pears comparison, I accept, but the point is that, if you hit the right mark, there's a market there. One would like to think we could be a club that learnt to find that mark and cash in.

@eric_plant wasn’t impressed when I shared the same link in a previous discussion on this topic.

• That Indian street food stall at FGR was great!

• edited August 2018

Sorry, @Chris. Didn't see that one! Great minds or fools?

• Bit far for them to come to ours from Gloucestershire, but does anyone know of a local caterer who could match them on one of our matchdays. Seems like the idea struck something.

• It seemed to fit the occasion, @railwaysteve, and was also appealing because it was both different to the norm in its type and of high quality. Selling it on the terraces during the game was also a nice novelty - a la baseball again.

I suppose it wouldn't need to be exactly that kind of produce to be available at ours for that kind of thing to work so long as the quality and/or originality was comparable.

• @HCblue probably a bit of both!

• I remember we used to have someone with a trolley serving tea / coffee and kit kats in the terrace a few years back, maybe other stands as well. Seems like a good idea to me.

• Yes indeed Hallelujah

• The thing I find most promising about this is that I can't imagine Barnsley or Carlisle fans would put up with substandard pies.

• Perhaps there will be some long overdue improvements