Skip to content

Jason McCarthy on a 3 year deal!

Comments

• @bookertease said:
    And Richie came into the world...

Could be an alien?

• Prove we paid far more than 100k Richie.
    You can't? Shut up then.
    We are a fan owned club with minimal funds available for up front transfer fees. We have debts to pay off and the club have said numerous times that we need to become debt free, we need to become a sustainable business model. We don't have £200k plus to be throwing at signings unfortunately. I realise £200k then is not £200k now, but regardless of that, we don't have it to spend!!!!

• nobody knows what we got for luke, I suggest it was more than reported and some has been given to GA to spend and boy he deserves it.

• I heard a rumour tonight .... yes only a rumour... that it was 150k

• With all due respect, @Alexo, Richie has as much proof that the fee was more than £100k as you do that it was not.

• As I’ve stated before it’s a great signing and well done us.

However, the comparisons to Mawson are ridiculous. Mawson for me is the best player I’ve ever seen to wear the quarters for a season plus. Whilst decent, is anyone seriously suggesting he will probably be an English international in the future like Alfie is destined to be?

He’s League One standard and given our budget that isn’t always easy to sign, particularly given Barnsley will have no reason to sell to us unless he is surplus to requirements!

• This is all good. But how much has Trouser McTrouserson trousered?

• All I said was I reckon it was 100k absolute tops. Richie states "Jason is a snip at 100k which is far less than we paid" which implies he knows for fact.... He thinks over 200k was paid. I'm giving a guess..... But Richie as always knows the truth....

• This site is becoming a real laughing stock with the majority on here just wanting to take the piss out of Richie and mjlondon and thus continually destroying the thread related to the original post.

This happens time after time and is simply destroying any reasonable discussion. Everyone likes a joke and a bit of fun but it is becoming the norm on here now.

Check out most threads on here and you will see they have been sidetracked by this silliness.

• I think Dr Congo’s aliases-faire moderation style is good but in my opinion Richie could do with a long holiday.

• Should read laissez-faire

• @OxfordBlue Before your correction I thought you were implying that Richie and others may be aliases used by @drcongo .

• edited August 2018

Whether you care for the insider-knowledge posts that Richie and a few others contribute from time to time, there is nothing morally objectionable about anything Richie has posted on this thread and I do not understand why it is suggested that a moderator should find anything to involve himself in.

This is not a network for Oxford professors to share their thoughts on Lithuanian phonetics. If it were, I imagine the level of intelligence of the posters would help them to pay little or no attention to the occasional below par offering from less considered contributors who slipped into the site.

• Richie has already been banned once or twice but in his latest incarnation hasn’t really done anything to warrant it. I think he even made a good post once. The fact that he derails threads with such consummate ease is not even really his fault, it's the inability of others to ignore him.

• Pleased to hear it @drcongo, Richie and his ilk can be annoying, but honestly, the Gasroom would be poorer without them.

As for the threads not staying 'on topic,' doesn't every friendly conversation meander to and fro somewhat?

• An excellent signing exciting times

• I quite like the way these threads go sometimes although sometimes there can be a tendency for bullying-like tendencies (of which I am sure I am occasionally culpable) of the likes of Richie and Trevor and @marlowchair.

But I find some of the dynamics between, for example, @eric_plant and @DevC quite intriguing and add to the rich* tapestry of life on here.

*rich in the context of a predominately white middle aged (& a bit more) talking shop

• I wouldn't call it bullying, and those three characters are completely different in their styles.
    Trevor is relentlessly negative, and disappears completely when things are going well, like most of last year.
    Richie tries to act like a massive "In the know" (ITK), and gets the occasional thing right, but mostly just makes stuff up and gets abusive if anyone doesn't agree. Only poster I have on ignore.

Marlow chair is more interesting, as it's pretty likely he has some sort of insider look at the club, either through his past, or who he knows, but also seems to have a major grudge to hold too.

• @bookertease said:

*rich in the context of a predominately white middle aged (& a bit more) talking shop

Don’t forget male.

• @hcblue what did you think Richie meant in his last response to me? I'm interested to know.

• Richie was just point the logic that as no actual figure has been reported for the sale of Luke, it must be more than nothing. Probably

• I’m interested to know what it was that @Wendoverman may have said to provoke a response from @rmjlondon, when it was and why it is that @Wendoverman wants @HCblue in particular to express an opinion, assuming that Lithuanian phonetics are not involved.

• This is no place for opinion @micra

• You give as good as you get, @Wendoverman. There is a marked discrepancy in the level of articulacy but less of one in terms of the level of mutual respect shown.

• OK @HCblue I get you. I'm not sure I've resorted to his usual personal insult (witty as it is...if he gets upset he changes the letters in my user name you see so it looks like...well I'm sure you get it.) but I can see that disagreeing with a poster (however preposterous) is a form of bullying. So I'll just ignore him. There. Quality of Gasroom posting improves immediately.

• Disagreeing with someone is a form of bullying?!
    Incredible scenes.

• @Wendoverman - Carry on, your posts are fine. HCblue is not a moderator on this site, so just ignore him.

• @Malone I think we all need to put ourselves in trevor and richie's place and see that when we suggest that they are relentless negative or talking bollocks, we are actually undermining their confidence which actually causes them to get even angrier. We need to just say: hmmmm that's an interesting view of our chances, trev....or those are interesting figures, richie. That way the thread can stay on subject and we can all bounce along in a jolly manner so that other posters are not offended. Much more fun, I'm sure you will agree.

• Just sticking richie on hide does the same thing I feel.

Trevor only shows up when we lose, which last year wasn't very often. Although hopefully saturday doesn't become a habit, or he'll become a mainstay again!

• @Malone said:
    Disagreeing with someone is a form of bullying?!
    Incredible scenes.

no but personal insults are you wouldnt accept rascist comments to sopmoene so why it is ok to bully somoene .