Skip to content

Jason McCarthy on a 3 year deal!

Comments

• Fantastic news. Well done Gareth and team!

• Bloody brilliant! Will be interesting to see what it means for Harriman but having to potentially choose between those two is a pretty nice decision to have

• NBTWAG...oh, hang on...

• Bigger question for Sido surely.

Third choice right back , fifth choice cb. Not great.

May play on Saturday but wouldn't be a major surprise to see him elsewhre come Sept 1.

• Jason in at fullback, Harri into midfield. Actually feels better than H at fullback with O9 in mid!

• @DevC yes...our squad is now so huge, young and impervious to injury that even with three cup competitions he will never get a game. (pssst I think there's still room for him.)

• Apparently we were chasing him all summer. Great for Gaz and the team to get this one over the line. Brilliant signing.

• Top Signing

• And the three years means, assuming he works out OK, that we've a replacement for El Abd next year.

• El Abd is only 33, I think he may have a few more miles left on the clock

• I don't rule out the possibility but he's got some miles on the clock.

• Worth mentioning, over twenty Championship games last season too. Once again Ainsworth pulls a coup out the bag.

• edited August 2018

Sido has just signed a new deal, I think you will find Jason will play in midfield.

@DevC said:
    Bigger question for Sido surely.

Third choice right back , fifth choice cb. Not great.

May play on Saturday but wouldn't be a major surprise to see him elsewhre come Sept 1.

• Shows the benefit of having a long-term, highly-respected manager. Who’d want to sign for a club like Blackpool over a club like Wycombe?

• where does Blackpool come into this ? Gary Bowyer has done an unreal job at Blackpool maybe u should have some respect.

• He did an unreal job there, possibly, but it would be a mark of false respect to pretend he didn't leave this week and that that was likely because the state of the club is such that a significant number of its fans refuse to attend matches so strong is their antipathy to the owner.

• Had Richie, had. But you are right. He performed miracles

• @rmjlondon Exactly! Who would want to go to a club where a good manager leaves after one match. Unfortunately there are many clubs like Blackpool where any stability is suddenly removed by strange & irrational decisions that sees good people go.

• Apparently Gary Bowyer has had to pay for the training facilities out of his own pocket.

• Top man GH well done the cloub ...

• Not sure if this was mentioned, but the deal got done with around 30 seconds left in the transfer window!

• Wow how much has the mood of the club changed with 2 signings this week..Gaz is the man.

• A shout out to the fans in an excellent interview showing him to be a thoroughly decent bloke, happy to be coming back and knowing half the squad already and finishing up with how proud he is to be playing in the quarters again. What. A. Signing.

• This is excellent news. I like the versatility he brings. Will he be on the pitch Saturday do we know?

• I would be shocked if both he and Morris start away from home against a decent side.

• @perfidious_albion said:
    Jason in at fullback, Harri into midfield. Actually feels better than H at fullback with O9 in mid!

I was thinking about this and wondered if Harriman could fill the box to box role. He can tackle, has pace and can shoot. Maybe a good fit.

• His versatility will certainly be useful but I imagine Mccarthy will be playing as a Dier-style defensive midfielder, possibly alongside Gape (I assume they played together in Southampton youth teams). I suspect we might see a 442 more often with a narrow diamond midfield with Bryn Morris running box to box and Saunders in the creative, attacking role. That gives our defence stability and will get the best of Bayo and one other in a tight front two.

• Outstanding news. In the iFollow interview he seems genuinely excited to be here, talking about his friendships with the other players.
    I suspect in the rough and tumble of a long season he'll end up playing in various positions but will pretty much always be in the starting 11.
    Slightly curious as to how this has been funded but I think we need to trust those in charge to have done the right and affordable thing.

• I maybe be wrong, but i understood he was one of there top players last season and im sure he was getting linked with top championship teams if my memory serves me

• Wonderful piece of business from GA & AH