Skip to content

Jason McCarthy on a 3 year deal!

Comments

• 21 starts in the championship last year, and was on a 3 year contract at Barnsley, so it looks a terrific buy!
    I know some people didn't think him much different to Mawson in quality.

Only question is where does he fit in right now, but there's a vacancy at right back from the off this weekend, and adds quality to that back line.

• Wow. That was unexpected.

• I've just had to check back to make sure we've definitely got him - I can't believe we've signed Jason McCarthy! With all due respect to our club, he's just always seemed to be on a completely different trajectory to us and I fully expected him to follow in the footsteps of Alfie in earning a big move, perhaps not to the Premiership, but to a decent Championship club. But instead he's come to Wycombe!

Credit to GA and Dobbo, but, dare I say it @marlowchair, also credit to the board for facilitating this and making money available.

Excited to see who else GA brings in on loan or maybe signs as a free agent. An attacking midfielder starlet from somewhere, as close as we can get to a backup for Bayo and my long-desired reserve left back and I reckon our squad is primed and ready to go.

Any lingering fears I may have had for a potential relegation battle this season are fast fading.

• I’m still reeling.
    Pretty sure it was Jason McCarthy and Luke O'Nien who optimistically “gatecrashed” a 50+ table tennis session at Handy Cross towards the end of the 2015-16 season. They were great buddies and it seems particularly fitting that Jason should be returning and raising spirits that took a bit of a knock a couple of weeks ago. An out and out fans’ favourite.

• >

Slightly curious as to how this has been funded but I think we need to trust those in charge to have done the right and affordable thing.

I have wondered on a couple of occasions whether the talk of take overs and how cash poor we are was actually an attempt to through up a smoke screen around the money we received off the back of o’niens deal.

I’m not expecting it to be multiple hundreds of thousands but if clubs are alerted to us selling and if we had been saying “we have money to spend”, all of a sudden any selling clubs we knock on the door of might be tempted to push the price of their players up.

This is pure conjecture though of course. But it fits in (in my mind at least) the sort of “professional” approach we take on the pitch to make sure we aren’t disadvantaged.

• Top signing JMC welcome back!!!!!

• If @Gary is right and we were chasing him all summer does this put to bed the suggestion that the board weren't backing Gareth, financially if necessary, with regard to strengthening the squad?

• As a defensive unit we certainly look much stronger than last season with the additions of Allsop, Charles, and McCarthy and the return of Stewart. That will surely be crucial given that we’re facing better aides and will see less of the ball etc. Gives us a real chance of pinching crucial points here and there in tight games.

I

• I left the Oxford promotion party early as I couldn't bare witness it, but from what I heard, Jason was virtually in tears as he left the pitch due to the result and the end of his loan. In that respect he was a more committed supporter than me that day.

I think he'll give everything for the club as he did last time.

• @rmjlondon Gary Bowyer seems to get every job offered by a mentalist ownership, so kudos to him that he gets results...but I fear most players and managers would rather sign for a club NOT LIKE Blackpool, rather than one that is. @TheDancingYak you may be right, in which case the club should be praised by some on here demanding the clarity they think they deserve for playing its cards close to its chest and bringing in quality rather than advertising the money which is apparently secretly dripping from our walls in the minds of some.

• Jason signed for us cos he trusts Gareth and has obviously been shafted at Barnsley and we also stumped up a fairly large fee.

• I would ask for evidence/sources for the second two claims...but it's not really worth it is it?

• Jason signed for us because he did not like Northern cakes and the club bought him a parrot.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Jason signed for us because he did not like Northern cakes and the club bought him a parrot.

I hope the parrot will get on with the cockatoo that post here...

• superb stuff

• @Wendoverman said:
    I would ask for evidence/sources for the second two claims...but it's not really worth it is it?

its obvious that he trusts Gaz from the way he was in his interview ...... and Barnsley only paid 280,000 for him last season, he didn't leave for a 5,000 fee.

• edited August 2018

I said the second two claims...we all trust Gaz. He has OBVIOUSLY been shafted by Barnsley ? In what way? And what do you call a fairly large fee? In short, dear boy, I suspect you are just making up your own stories from the information that is freely available. Me too and I like my parrot story better...

• bendover man

• @rmjlondon aaah bless...default! Default! That thinking get the better of you again?

• I bet u we paid 200,000 at least

• Lol, I doubt it. I reckon 100k absolute tops.

• @rmjlondon fascinating how you reached that number. Transfers are rarely simple. Sell on’s, staged payments, performance related bonuses can make a signing v cheap. I recall the Tyson signing when we all knew he was way out of our league financially.
    One thing I’d be confident of is that no six figure sum has been paid in £££ this week.

• The club has not forked out that sort of up front sum side the likes of Sean Devine and Darren currie joined our ranks to my knowledge.... Richie you do amuse me with your utter nonsense. Do keep it up. I enjoy a good chuckle

• Since*

• things have changed since Sean devine he is about 47 now

• @rmjlondon said:
    things have changed since Sean devine he is about 47 now

Correct, things have changed. Now we are potless & having to live within our means whilst paying off debts.

• And Richie came into the world...

• Sean devines current age helps your point how???
    ...cretin

• Fees have changed, he would probably be worth 1.5 million now so Jason is a snip at 100k which is far less than the fee paid !!

• @rmjlondon said:
    things have changed since Sean devine he is about 47 now

45 actually.