Skip to content

League 1 squad weaker than our League 2 squad?

1235»

Comments

• @marlowchair there is no ‘pending’ sale. As has been done to death on other threads. There could be a ‘possible’ or even ‘imminent’ sale but that, from my understanding, would require debate and voting that could result in a no sale.

Or are you talking about your pending purchase of a burger from the club shop, and subsequent passage through your digestion system as a ‘representation’ of how you seem to view the club board?

• @marlowchair said:
    The pending sale and what it represents hasn’t changed or altered.

Oh sorry I just realised you were being funny. That was clever.

• Doubt it was more than a five figure sum. That site arbitrarily seems to calculate a valuation.

• Agree. Strongly doubt we'll have paid a six figure sum, which is incredible given the rumoured figure he moved to Barnsley for just over a year ago. I wonder if Barnsley have had to pay some of it to Southampton as a sell on fee?

• As I understand it @Jonny_King, sell on fees are only a percentage of the profit made on a player, not the absolute fee sold on for. Somehow I don’t think that will apply in this instance!

• @YorkExile I never realised it was only on profit, thanks very much.

• @HCblue said:
    Yeah. Let's sign a player that played for us in our worst season of the last four and who couldn't cut it in the Championship. That'll demonstrate some ambition.

hahah i can be negative but your statement really is shockingly pathetic....one of the best players we have had

• dear oh lore

• Applying a twist to the original question in this thread: assuming the rest of the squad is as strong/weak as it was last season, has O'Nien leaving and McCarthy arriving made the squad weaker/stronger/same as last season?

On the basis that I think a good defence is going to be hugely important this season, and I think McCarthy is a very good defensive signing, my opinion would be that the squad is now a little stronger with regard to what is required for this League One campaign. Interested to know others' opinions.

• Am I getting over excited or is top 7 too much of an ask? On a more serious note if we can get a Bayo understudy in on loan in the next couple of weeks I think that we have a very good squad with more options eg Harriman to attacking midfield ( I would love to see it) and better than last year.

• we have a miles better squad this season than we did last season

surely no-one would argue otherwise?

Alsopp and Brown aren't even in the same league
    Jason McCarthy is one of the better players we've ever had - I still can't believe we've got him
    And Bryn Morris is a very good footballer

Absolutely amazing work in the transfer market yet again by Gaz

• @Wwfc2015_ Whereas it's your parody detection system that's somewhat awry. Or "shockingly pathetic" as you so judiciously expressed it.

• Hard to argue with eric factually.

Alsopp and Brown indeed aren't in the same league. Allsopp is currently in league 1, Brown on the other hand.............

• @Wwfc2015_ , @trevor @, @rmjlondon and one or two others may be oblivious to parody, irony and nuance but you’ve unwittingly drawn an uncharacteristically positive comment from the wealthy one @HCblue.

Good to know that you’re back with us. I had been a bit concerned that you’d not posted on here for some time but I expect you made a decision to have a break from the Gasroom during this close season.

• @Jonny_King @YorkExile I know this is based on the game Football Manager, so take it with a giant pinch of salt, but I think the sell on percentage can be either based on profit or just future sell on. I'd imagine most buying clubs push for profit and selling clubs the opposite.

• edited August 2018

I thought the inclusion of sufficient punctuation and correct spelling would be enough to signal the parody to those unable to read the preceding nine messages that were all in the same tone, if not expressed quite so dramatically, @micra. I take @Wwfc2015's response as a compliment to my ability to mimic mindlessness.

Thanks for your kind words. You are right that I've been exploring other projects for a while. I trust you are well.

• @OxfordBlue said:
    @Jonny_King @YorkExile I know this is based on the game Football Manager, so take it with a giant pinch of salt, but I think the sell on percentage can be either based on profit or just future sell on. I'd imagine most buying clubs push for profit and selling clubs the opposite.

Presumably it also could be some kind of hybrid of the two.

• The Gasroom has become so ironic I'm never sure who is being funny, who is thick and who is being a complete bellend. Or all three. I blame the Board for withholding Gareth's burger funds and assume the 'imminent sale' will solve all of these problems.