Skip to content

League 1 squad weaker than our League 2 squad?

Comments

• Yet again @marlowchair there is no actual evidence to support your allegations.

I’m also not entirely sure what they are. Is, in your view, the board: corrupt, inept or amateurish?

I doubt very much that GA is ignorant enough of out financial position to be “angry” that Luke was sold. He would know very well that with a year left on his contract if a club came in for him it would be difficult for both the player and our board to say no.

GA seemed happy to extend his own contract with the current board and financial structure in place do he I’d either very stupid or naive if what you say has any validity.

If it helps I can recommend some sound therapy and meditation for you. I am rather worried about that large chip on your shoulder

• @marlowchair so no promotion this year then?

• “....do he I’d either.....”. Presumably, “....so he’d either be...” ? Just saying.

Bloody predictive.

• Yup @bookertease I was thinking...The Board using revenue generated to run the club? Manager not happy with funds allocated for players? That almost never happens. I too was not sure what @marlowchair was implying...and why if he's saying what I think he's saying a) why didn't Gareth leg it to Barnsley and b) wasn't his (GA's ) mate Andrew Howard in charge for a long time?

• Who honestly believes that AH is still not in charge ????

• If some of you read what I wrote rather than get all defensive and upset about the fact I am writing it you would perhaps better understand.

• Perhaps the problem is with the writer rather than the reader.

• @Wendoverman Read it? That's where I was going wrong. I just got really, really irritated about it for no good reason. Lesson learned.

• edited August 2018

I've read it again @marlowchair just so I'm not missing something, the crux of your post is that the Board are running the club incompetently and a frustrated Gareth and Dobbo are constantly digging them out of a hole? Some may call me treasonous and want to burn me at the stake but...and I say this in all honesty...I'm not sure I entirely accept your view.

• edited August 2018

Lets dissect marlow's post of 2.53 point by point.

Few would argue against your suggestion that GA and team have done a remarkable job in the last few seasons, This has indeed generated revenues and success on the pitch
    beyond anything any of us, including the Board could reasonably expect. On this we agree.

I think it would be fair to question, as i think you imply, how sustainable the club is financially without the outperformance GA has delivered. Sooner or later we will find that out.

You state your opinion of GA innermost feelings as fact. There are two possible scenarios here 1) GA (or a very close confident of GA) has confided in you and you alone his innermost feelings. That feels unlikely especially as it appears you then post his secrets on a public message board. so i am calling you out here that this is simply a lie. 2) that you are guessing how GA feels and then stating it as fact - if this is the case (and it strongly suspect it is), then that makes you come over as a bit of a wally.

Now as it happens my guess would be (but dont know for sure) that GA is a little frustrated that his best player (arguably) has been sold. why wouldn't he be. If he has ambitions to climb the ladder higher, his best chance of achieving that is to retain his best players.

However you make the leap and state that he is angry and doesnt understand why this should be the case. My guess is he understands that a small impoverished club will always sell a player with 12 months left on contract to the best offer it can drum up.
    Frustrated yes, but well understood.

You then make the leap that WWFC impoverished state is due to mismanagment and incompetence. as usual you provide no evidence whatsoever to support this contention. at least you have now pulled back from suggestions that it is down to something close to fraud.

you have had numerous opportunities to lay out the substance of your criticism of the off field managment of the club. You duck that at every opportunity. You duck it yet again here. as such it is hard to see why anyone would take your post remotely seriously.

Yet more unsubstantiated nonsense in pursuit of some bizarre ill-defined grudge. and with it now no remaining credibility whatsoever.

• @DevC you read it as well then?

• I did, wendover. a couple of times, looking for some hidden substance. There is none that i can see.

• Thanks everyone. I understand fully what is being discussed now.

My view, based on the in depth analysis, is that @marlowchair is a bitter and maybe wronged mischief maker. I don't believe any of than point of his post.

• I don’t understand any of that last sentence @Rightin the midriff.

• Me neither @micra. Think predictive text might have been at work.

• @DevC A perfect summary of that idiots post. Please @marlowchair if you have any validity in your post, substantiate your claims or forever go forth and multiply?

• Don't worry everyone we'll have plenty more to talk about post-Saturday...one way or another. Enthusiasts and trolls both for once united for a few hours in hopeful excitement for the coming campaign...

• @Chris said:

GA has kept this club financially afloat despite and in spite of the board.it is his and Dobsons football fortune and incredible record of achieving cup runs above our budget level and identifying and recruiting players who not only perform well for our club but also dig the board out of financial trouble year after year.
    Do you or anyone else seriously have an argument against that?

No one would argue against the positives there - Ainsworth and Dobson have done a brilliant job and far exceeded any reasonable expectations.

There is no evidence that this is despite or in spite of the board.

Of course we are in financial trouble every year, that is the nature of lower league football in this day and age. The vast majority of lower league football clubs don’t break even on ticket sales and tv money alone - cup runs, player sales and the investment of wealthy individuals are the things that keep clubs going. This isn’t healthy or sustainable in my view, but it’s the situation that football as a whole has found itself in.

I’m sure Ainsworth does wish he had more money to spend, but so does every football manager, and every budget holder in any organisation.

i dont understand how we can be in financial trouble we closed our youth system down to save money and cut right back on spending and playing budget we even rely on volenteers to help out and we have sold afew of our best players for decent ammounts over the last few seasons and yet you are saying we are still in the same situation as the rest of the other clubs in the lower leagues of the football league i wonder how they are surviving then they still have their youth setups etc somthing aint right .

• I agree with your last three ‘words’.

• Most of our income has been "trousered" Trev!

• The squad last year had several players who for various reasons did not hit 100% (or anywhere near). Kashket (injury), Freeman (lack of opportunity), PCH (form), Stewart (injury), Harriman (injury). Get those guys playing the majority of the season and fit and on form we have a good squad for league 1.
    Sit back and enjoy the ride ladies and gents.

• Ingram is logged as 447K, Pierre was a free, Luke between 180k -380k depending on which member of the shadowy board is filling the tax return. I'm no expert, and I know we made a profit on players who cost us nowt but they seem like hardly earth shattering amounts in terms of running a club. Have I missed a big transfer?

• @trevor , clearly "Financial trouble" is a scale, and we've by all accounts moved from "quite a bit" to "still a bit". You can see that right?

The cuts and sales have helped improve things, but we're not suddenly then going to be "golden" for ever.
    You have to keep doing both to keep things moving along.

• The idea that it's only Cup runs and player sales that have helped us keep our heads above water is sort of what happens to every club below Championship level, isn't it?
    Look forward to the interviewee who says: 'Cup run? Naah. Don't need it...we're minted here...'

• On the original thread topic, it seems very possible that injuries will mean we have less than our full complement of substitutes on the bench tomorrow, which would be neither a promising way to start nor an indication that the squad is as strong this season as it was last.

Being Wycombe, however, there remains the possibility of a stage-managed new signing announcement on the pitch prior to kick-off (if the Tomi Adeloye training photos on the website are any kind of clue).

• We've a stronger keeper than last year, and we have Stewart available, as well as Harriman, who only featured in about 20% of the games last year. So that should be a fair bit stronger.

Obviously we're an O Nien down, but we're still arguably stronger. Just!

• Yep taking Tyson, Kashket and Charles who are all presumably injured and unavailable tomorrow out of our current squad leaves only 17 players so just 6 subs. Only question is whether Adeloye is the only signing in next 24 hours or if there will be a couple. Frempah continued to play through out preseason so maybe he'll sign on too.

• with Allsopp, El-Abd, Charles, Gape, CMS, Tyson, Paris, Bloomfield, Bean, Jacobson and Sido we have players who can do a job in L1. Stewart will want to prove himself again...as will Harriman, Thompson and Williams. It will depend on injuries, but twas ever so. I remain confident of survival.

• I think it worth remembering that it's not as if the best team in L2 is worse than the bottom team in L1, as if the divisions all run on to each other in quality like a conga line...there is obviously considerable overlap, so even if we did not strengthen to everyone's exact specifications, we have at the very least a good fighting chance!

• @Malone said:
    @trevor , clearly "Financial trouble" is a scale, and we've by all accounts moved from "quite a bit" to "still a bit". You can see that right?

The cuts and sales have helped improve things, but we're not suddenly then going to be "golden" for ever.
    You have to keep doing both to keep things moving along.

i understand that i just dont understand how other league clubs have not had to cut back like we have surely they mst have bad debts too .