Skip to content

Is it just me?

Comments

• Croatia or russia

• Apparently Switzerland are the highest ranking team in our side of the draw which is a bizarre turn of events

• Out on penalties tomorrow?

• Not convinced it will get that far... the draw has opened up too well hasn't it?

• Let's all assume we are out, no good, worst team in the division, piss-poor as per trev and co...so we can rejoice when we are not. A bit like last season.

• We’re dooomed I tell ya. Doooomed.

• @YorkExile said:
    Not convinced it will get that far... the draw has opened up too well hasn't it?

Somewhat enigmatic comments @YorkExile, open to differing interpretations! And you’ve had the same problem as I had in trying to italicise and embolden “too” for emphasis, using the recently enhanced options. Doesn’t work on Apple iPhone.

• edited July 2018

If we get at them we could win it. We can at least get a couple of pens as they rugby tackle Mr Kane at every corner. But if we do win it...the press will say...'It's only Colombia...'

• Noted @micra, I will stick to standard text from now on! As for my comments, all I meant was that everything up to this point has served to raise expectations... it seems almost inevitable that we will come back down to Earth with a bump! Colombia are also a very good side.

• The performance of our reserves against Belgium’s did nothing to raise my expectations, to be honest. Pickford, on that performance, is a concern, particularly of course if it does go to penalties. Just hope also that John Stones is fit to play.

• @micra that David De Gea was pretty crap at the penalties as well...

• Ospina might be.

• Wow!

• Another drab game

• The beautiful game. That’s what the Japanese play.

• Agreed @micra, but the media and pundits and the like are widely talking about us as genuine potential finalists, despite us not really having done anything great so far. I do agree with the approach against Belgium as it was essentially a free hit with an opportunity to rest key players, but perhaps oddly there remains an overall feeling of momentum (I hesitate to use the word) based on very little of note.

What a rubbish World Cup this continues to be, by the way...

• @YorkExile , we've seen many tournaments where we've struggled to beat some pretty poor teams, let alone play in any sort of style.

Tunisia, we played really well in the first half, but didn't finish enough, so relied on a last min goal.
    Panama, we blitzed in a style unlike us.

Two poor teams, for sure, but we look in good nick, and the big boys keep dropping.

Obviously a proper test tonight, but you can definitely see why we've gone from "zero chance", that most thought pre tournament, to just starting to wonder.

If Sterling can put one of his many chances away who knows!

• Now there's no guarantees, but surely even the most depressed, disillusioned England fan can see that if our best players do what they CAN do, we have a decent chance of beating the likes of Columbia, Russia, Sweden or Switzerland?

• Colombia.

• We're English, so it's Colombia.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Now there's no guarantees, but surely even the most depressed, disillusioned England fan can see that if our best players do what they CAN do, we have a decent chance of beating the likes of Columbia, Russia, Sweden or Switzerland?

Nope. ‘Fraid not. My inner ‘Trev’ has won out. That and having them in the sweepstake guarantees they’ll crash and burn

• @Malone said:
    We're English, so it's Colombia.

I thought you were Scottish for some strange reason.

• Got to admit though the difference in quality of

Brazil, Belgium, France & Uruguay
    and
    Russia, Croatia, Sweden & England or Colombia
    is startling.

No disrespect, but can there ever have been a weaker finalist?

• @Malone sorry if you could not work out who I meant. Looks like we've got Swoodon if we get past the Columbs anyway.

• @mooneyman , McMalone?

• This is like watching England against Wycombe.

• Yadav to say that England were demolished at Old Trafford.

• Oh sorry, wrong sport.

• That was a bit of a turn up eh?