Skip to content

Is it just me?

Comments

• All it proved is that Southgate knows who is best eleven are, so yesterday's performance is pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

• edited June 2018

In what way did it do that @flloyd? When both Belgium and England rested loads.
    When any sensible team who had already qualified did the same?

I saw Martinez had actually been quoted as saying
    "We want to play well, but the priority is not to win"

Now that is disrespect! We at least made the right noises.

• I don;t think it was arrogance. I think it was just two poor sides both trying to win.

• Rarely have a manager's comments been so misunderstood as those of Roberto Martinez

All he was saying was the their priority was to rest players at risk of suspension and injury, and give other players a game

He wasn't saying that the most important thing to him was not to win the game

• folks got to get righteously angry about something @eric_plant

• @eric_plant can you do Paul Lambert’s ‘Stockport’s late goal doesn’t change a thing’ next please?

• Ah glorious Lambert. Bitterness in permanent quote form.

• don't want to get all oakwood exile about it, but here's where a split infinitive helps make a useful distinction

"our priority is not to win the game" (albeit it needs to be followed by a subordinate clause, eg "but to protect players on a yellow card") carries a different meaning to "our priority is to not win the game"

Christ these football free days are dull. Roll on tomorrow

• Ah, an example of the classic Garden Pathing Problem. A very interesting grammatical debate actually!

• Roll on tomorrow and a thumping victory for the mighty men of Kent at Lords.

• @WanderingDays said:
    A very interesting grammatical debate actually!

Now there’s an oxymoron.

• @eric_plant Given that you have explicitly accused me here, I think I do have to say that I really have no objection to the split infinitive. One of the sillier "rules" in the English language.

• @bookertease said:

@WanderingDays said:
    A very interesting grammatical debate actually!

Now there’s an oxymoron.

Haha. Its more psycholinguistics than grammar to be honest! How we understand unfolding sentences (as they are heard or read) is actually pretty fascinating. At least for me*

*probably not for everyone else

• @OakwoodExile yes, that's the point I was making

an homage if you will

• @micra said:
    Roll on tomorrow and a thumping victory for the mighty men of Kent at Lords.

Too right.

• Probably Kentish Men and Men of Kent, there is a distinction which may be to do with the Medway, I'm only going on folk memory, and I am closer to an old folks home than I'd readily admit :(

• No more than a handful of the Kent players are either Kentish men or men of Kent with the majority being born in London - although Matt Henry is from Canterbury, New Zealand which almost counts. There is an outside chance that High Wycombe-born players Will Gidman (Kent, all rounder) and Tom Alsop (Hants, wicketkeeper) will feature.

• Ex Wycombe legend the late Paul Bates,Grandson Connor is on the books of Northants.

• Getting back to the original point, this France v Argentina game is really dull. Especially the two world class goals. And the end to end action.

• @Baldric said:
    Probably Kentish Men and Men of Kent, there is a distinction which may be to do with the Medway, I'm only going on folk memory, and I am closer to an old folks home than I'd readily admit :(

Quite right @Baldric. I lay awake last night thinking “oh lor’ I should have said ‘....the mighty men of Kent Cricket Club..”
    No, honestly, I did. I was born and brought up on the west side of the Medway, about a mile from the home of mighty Maidstone United, making me a Kentish (careful!) Man. Those from east of the Mudway are Men of Kent (MoKes, with the added ‘e’ denoting east).

I fear Kuhn’s suicidal run-out put paid to any prospect of Kent winning today.

• Did anyone else find that Pavard's wonderful stike for France's second goal reminded them of Harriman's goal at home to Crewe last season?

• Hadn't thought about it but now you mention it, very similar.

• Great similitude.

• Going to have to leave the cricket. Game over for my countymen and have also heard more than enough of Dawid Malan’s Frank Spencer tinged voice.

• “Ooh batting!”

• @Uncle_T said:
    Did anyone else find that Pavard's wonderful stike for France's second goal reminded them of Harriman's goal at home to Crewe last season?

I was just thinking about that goal the other day, as it sums up the quality of this past season that it did not even make the shortlist of eight for goal of the season!

• You've really got to hate football to not enjoy this World Cup.

• Great thread. It seemed to get even better upon this thread starting!

• it has improved massively apart from todays games.

whisper it quietly but it might just be opening up for England with Spain losing. 5050 game against colombia but would be what 60-40 favourites against sweden or switzerland and at worst 50-50 against croatia. OK massive underdogs in final but maybe just maybe.............