Skip to content

Gaz to QPR

Comments

• We'll soon find out... Holloway meeting owners this afternoon according to Sky sports... personally don't think McLaren is a 100% given. I have a lot of QPR supporting friends and colleagues... they club might be saying McLaren, but the fans want Ainsworth !! Let's hope not for our sake

• Holloway sacked

• @WestLondonWanderer said:
    Holloway sacked

Steve McClaren 1/5 favourite

• I hope it's SSSSteve and I can be vindicated...

• Yesh, he ish the...how do you shay? Shtand out shelection.

• The sale of brollies around Loftus Road will skyrocket!

• For shaw itsh will be Schteeve. It ish, how you say, masshive club.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I once had a ridiculous argument with a Wycombe fan and McClaren defender who insisted he had won the UEFA cup with Boro.

He is an imbecile with mental problems as clearly evidenced by his Dutch accent embarrassment

• And so is Steve McLaren

• @LX1: Who will ever forget that Dutch akshent embarrassment.

• Didn't win it, but getting to the final with a team like Boro is a sensational performance.

• The accent thing is a little giggle, but there's a reason why regional accents exist! Namely, if you're constantly surrounded by the majority of the people around you talking a certain way, over a period of time your accent and way of pronouncing some words will slightly change.

• Normally takes a few decades.

• Thinking about it, my wife has been surrounded by Hampshire hogs and Bucks speakers for over 50 years and nothing has changed. Well, no accentwise anyway!

• When I was in the military I picked up loads of regional accents and sayings which you believe you have had all your life. I was based at a time on the Dutch border so picked up the throaty pronunciation as well so it can happen.

• ...not accentwise.

• edited May 2018

@micra, we're not saying a total change of accent, as McClaren's accent didn't totally change. But as per @OX66 , your accent, phrases and sayings certainly sway. And it doesn't take decades either.

• edited May 2018

It wasn't so much the accent, more that he was talking to someone speaking to him in perfect English in an 'Allo 'Allo foreign accent with bizarre phrasing. I realise that for those that sing in a Jamaican accent this is of no consequence...but to many it seemed a bit mental.

• I’ve been up north for 17 years. You definitely pick up words and sayings. A roll (as in bacon roll) is a cob here and it took a few years before using it became comfortable - now I forget and use it down south.

But I remain convinced that heavy accent changes (especially ones that happen after a couple of months like Schteeve’s) are a construction rather than a natural process. I think it depends on how much you feel the need to become an authentic local.

• I wonder how Joey Barton's sultry French tones will go down in Fleetwood.

• @Brownie said:
    I wonder how Joey Barton's sultry French tones will go down in Fleetwood.

The Fleetwood players just need to beware when Joey is smoking a cigar!

• @arnos_grove always a cob to me duck...though I have become southernised...I do not...'ow you say am giving up on sentence construction...

• I've lived in the American south and Mid-Atlantic for 10 years and i can affect the drawl when i need to, but i still sound like i grew up in the Chilterns.

• Go slightly further north and a cob becomes a breadcake. My first time in a northern chip shop attempting to order a chip butty in a roll was a trying affair.

• Baps up in this neck of the woods.

Accents and dialects are a slightly weird thing though. After a beer or two I go distinctly Norfolk despite having lived there less than 10% of my life

• What's going on with half rice half chips in Wales?

• After a few beers I go from totally generic south-east accent to a noticeably Oxon/Bucks twang. Language and dialect is fascinating.

• My mum's family emigrated to Canada in the fifties but to the day he died in 2015, he still had a Bucks twang with the odd Canadian mannerism thrown in, eh?

• Barm cake, anyone?