Skip to content

Gaz to QPR

Comments

• Indeed as I recognised above. I would say that increased revenue from away supporters could be reasonably considered fairly certain.

I was asking whether you would also want to spend money you hope to earn from extra home supporters. I wouldn't until I was sure they existed.

• No.

• Jesus Christ, on one of the great weekends in recent Wycombe history, what kind of misery guts gets the abacus out.

• Sorry.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Jesus Christ, on one of the great weekends in recent Wycombe history, what kind of misery guts gets the abacus out.

You’re right, I’m off to the pub and another chorus of ‘We’ve got Gareth Ainsworth and Dobbo’s number two.....’

• You could make an educated guess and if it doesn't go to plan cut your losses by potentially unloading players in January. Not the way I'd do it (and not the way I think we will) but it could be an option.

I would also think that there is some correlation between projected wages outgoings and win-bonuses. The players will presumably earn significantly more if they win lots of games, which probably factors in increased crowds.

If we lose lots our wages will be less but countered by probably falling attendances.

I'm confident however that our current powers that be are planning a sustainable budget for the forthcoming season.

• I think we should buy players based on the expected increase in chip sales and the sell off of ' I was there when beanie scored' t-shirts. My projections suggest a million pounds to spend.

• Nope...it's McLaren. Same old same old proven underachievers pip everyone to the post as usual. Phew!

• Nice. So what do we want to amend the thread to - Gaz to Ipswich, Gaz to Stoke, or Gaz to Bolton?

• Lets get Gaz on an extended contract now and look forward to consolidation in lesgue 1 with a new 5 year plan to take us up to the next level

• Gaz may not want to be on an extended contract, Mr Border. Writing a five year plan is the easy bit, delivering it is a little harder..,..

Obviously great news for WWFC if GA is still here in August but you do have to feel for him and the likes of Adams at Plymouth (obnoxious little man that he is) watching the same old failed names or other socalled "big names" keep on the merry-go-round restricting the opportunities for successful lower level managers

objectively who would be more likely to succeed at QPR - McClaren who has failed in his last three jobs (at least) or the bright upcoming manager who has excelled at his last role

Who is more likely to succeed at Rangers - a guy with no management experience whatsoever but was a great player or a guy who has learned management skills and taken his last team to promotion last season and the very brink of playoffs this?

• Had to double check on google when he actually signed that epic 5 1/2 year deal and it was January 2015.

A tidy 2 years left then. That's still decent security for all sides, so no need to think about a new contract yet I'd suggest

• You do make the assumption that he is actually interested in moving on at the moment @DevC. He may be perfectly happy where he is and not remotely bothered who gets what job.

But the gist of your thread I agree with.

• Owners who know nothing about football default to names especially as they usually 'do an impressive interview' ( as they've had plenty of experience!) But by the same token owners who show loyalty sometimes pay the price - Hughes at stoke, Martinez at Wigan, cloughie in that final season - so it's a tricky one . I think Gareth will want another promotion possibly. Mother ainsworth raised no fool.

• Another promotion with Wycombe @Wendoverman ? How realistic an ambition is that ?

• @Wendoverman said:
    Nope...it's McLaren. Same old same old proven underachievers pip everyone to the post as usual. Phew!

Hmmm. FAKE NEWS (I can do Trump). Last I looked Holloway was still the manager. Not like you to go on unsubstantiated rumours.

Or did Richie say do, in which case I take it all back.

• heavily tipped in the press though, Booker.

Just to add a little spice to the mix, QPR twitter going out of their way to wish a happy birthday today to Gareth. Do they do that for all their ex-players....

• edited May 2018

So was Albert for the latest sprog born to some over-privileged young(ish) couple that I couldn’t avoid on the news

• Sounds like you follow them a little more closely than you are letting on, mr booker - you old tease you.

Getting excited for the big day this weekend (or is it the one after??)

• Don’t remind me!! (I genuinely have zero interest. Unfortunately I have failed abysmally in my parenting skills and have raised daughters who have a differing view)

• When you look at McClaren's overall body of work, he has had some really impressive work.

Exceptional input into Man Utd's treble season, league cup, Uefa cup runners up and 7th place with Middlesborough, winning the league with Twente for the first title in their history. Play off final with Derby. There's a lot of good work in there.

Some average spells with England and Newcastle (when was the last time anyone saw success with them? Venables and Keegan 20 years ago?)

A couple of average to poor spells with Forest and Wolfsburg.

I can see why a club who consider themselves "big time" like QPR would go for him over a league 2 promotion guy, even if it is an ex player.

• “Some average spells with England and Newcastle (when was the last time anyone saw success with them? Venables and Keegan 20 years ago?)”

I think you should include Bobby Robson. 4th, 3rd & 5th is pretty miraculous stuff.

• sorry Malone, he used to achieve decent things. Those days have long gone.

Last seven managerial jobs
    Wolfsburg - sacked after seven months
    Forest - sacked after four months
    Twente - sacked after 13 months
    Derby - much better - lasted 26 months before being sacked
    Newcastle - sacked after nine months
    Derby - return home after hs triumph before - sacked after five months

If he does go to QPR, anybody seriously expect him to still be in post at the end of the season?

• Just to make the point even more, favourite to take over a Swansea - Chris Coleman.

Plainly coleman's experience in successfully piloting Sunderland, newly relegated from the premier, through the Championship and into league 1 is just what Swansea, newly relegated from the premier, need.

he is welsh though, so that's all right.

• @micra you gotta dream. @bookertease I saw it as gospel on one of them social media sites that is my excuse. I will try harder. The fact richie had not confirmed it should have rung bells for me.

• @DevC said:
    Gaz may not want to be on an extended contract, Mr Border. Writing a five year plan is the easy bit, delivering it is a little harder..,..

Obviously great news for WWFC if GA is still here in August but you do have to feel for him and the likes of Adams at Plymouth (obnoxious little man that he is) watching the same old failed names or other socalled "big names" keep on the merry-go-round restricting the opportunities for successful lower level managers

objectively who would be more likely to succeed at QPR - McClaren who has failed in his last three jobs (at least) or the bright upcoming manager who has excelled at his last role

Who is more likely to succeed at Rangers - a guy with no management experience whatsoever but was a great player or a guy who has learned management skills and taken his last team to promotion last season and the very brink of playoffs this?

• @DevC said:
    Just to make the point even more, favourite to take over a Swansea - Chris Coleman.

Plainly coleman's experience in successfully piloting Sunderland, newly relegated from the premier, through the Championship and into league 1 is just what Swansea, newly relegated from the premier, need.

he is welsh though, so that's all right.

To be fair even St Martin couldn't succeed at Sunderland - something rotten at the heart of that club. Maybe the new owners will turn it round.

• edited May 2018

@bookertease , yes fair comment in fairness. I suppose I underplayed that as following on from Keegan's work only a couple of years before. But it's definitely a run of finishes that you can't see them every matching again. It reminds me of the Villa fans trying to talk down O Neill's time there, when he got something like 3 top 6 finishes in a row as well.

One thing I always think football fans overlook, is that there's only a small handful of awards/trophies etc and a heck of a lot of teams competing.

• @MindlessDrugHoover, the standard at Sunderland seemed to be for a manager to go in, almost immediately stop the rot, but then that sinking feeling started. MON looked to have started well, then it fell away.
    Coleman didn't even start well.