Skip to content

Match day thread: Chesterfield

Comments

• @HolmerBlue, go ahead, they are public.

• You know, it's the strangest thing, but even now I can still hear the screams of pure unbridled joy when Gape's goal went in.

Those videos bring it all back @Steve_Peart!

I've no idea how I celebrated the goal though!

• Great stuff Steve, had me getting emotional all over again.

• @eric_plant, I keep watching them too, you can spend years waiting for scenes like these!

What struck me about the post-match celebrations was just how close spiritually (and physically it turned out) the players and Gareth and his team were to the fans. They were all one of us, singing the same songs, running down lines of fans slapping hands, banging the drum - well done Wycombe Drummer by the way, you deserve a special medal for your season's work.

They were all so clearly excited and happy, none more so than Gareth who was floating, literally. That was my favourite moment, who was that shouldering him? A special mention for whoever you are. A 'chaired' person usually has a nervous look about them, fearing they are going to get dumped suddenly, but Gareth was really milking it and didn't want to get down. I can't remember the last time I saw a manager carried shoulder high.

Thank you Chesterfield FC for being so understanding in allowing us to celebrate on your hallowed, and very well maintained, turf, and for such a long time. The stewards deserve praise for not overreacting, although one did rugby tackle a fan and marched him off, but got a sore shoulder for his rather futile gesture, given there were already hundreds on the pitch. I hope we don't get any comeback for the invasion, it was very good natured.

I hope Chesterfield get promoted quickly, good set of fans, nice stadium, look forward to our next visit. I'll forgive the Donkey Derby for not letting me in, I found the Barca Bar in the Casa Hotel a very accommodating alternative, very good food!

• I think it was Yves Ma-Kalambay carrying Gareth.

• @Chris, needed to be someone strong, explains why Gareth looked relaxed. Wonder if he will start on Saturday.

• edited April 2018

20180428_165848

• edited April 2018

Watching the iFollow highlights, I've now spotted something I missed at the time - Sam Saunders's immediate reaction as the referee blew for full-time was to hug him from behind.

I guess he could have been performing the Heimlich manoeuvre thinking he'd swallowed the whistle.

Hero.

• Thanks @RomanHats, an iconic photo.

• As @clifty04 has pointed out to me on Twitter, during the goal celebration there is a steward who strongly pushes Luke back. I wouldn't call it a punch but it is arm to chin and very surprising. This is the same steward who needlessly pushes a fan down who was already slipping over.

• Bayo on 606 at 6:30.

• Seems very out of character for @clifty04 to be stoking up drama on social media.

• There did seem to be a bit of panic from their stewards at the start, probably due to the ferocity of the speed some fans were sprinting on... any other time of season that's a real security risk.

It did settle down massively though, with stewards realising it was all in good spirits.

Fair play for them hanging about for 40mins so patiently!

• There was a moment in the first half where it looked like CMS was clean through, then he appeared to just stop and look for a backward pass. Anyone know what happened there? @arnos_grove and I were both baffled, and I just watched the extended highlights in hope of clearing it up but it’s not included.

• The video of Bayo and GA embracing shows the bond these two guys have. Bayo wiping away tears before going back for further hugs is extraordinary really. Would love to know what was said between these two, I'm guessing just words of mutual thanks.

• @drcongo said:
    There was a moment in the first half where it looked like CMS was clean through, then he appeared to just stop and look for a backward pass. Anyone know what happened there? arnos_grove and I were both baffled, and I just watched the extended highlights in hope of clearing it up but it’s not included.

My guess at the time was that he was expecting a defender to clatter him for a penalty, but I would also like to see this again.

• LX1LX1
    edited April 2018

It is very difficult for stewards in these situations. one attempted to tackle me to the ground but after following the club all season there was no way I was not getting on. In an obviously peaceful celebratory 'invasion' I think common sense should prevail and hope it is that way next week at AP

• I was a steward myself as a teenager for a short while, and I don't remember any training on how to deal with these scenarios. Hopefully things have progressed a bit in the 20 years since!

• I was a steward at Stamford Bridge in the late 80s. No training at all.

• Ha! Pretty uneventful I should imagine

• Small world @drcongo - I was Chelsea too, and also Stevenage, but only the 1996-97 season if I remember rightly.

• Stewarding is probably easy 95% of the season.
    Just becomes awkward for the last game of the season, or when you have oafs like Rovers in town.
    Which we can look forward to next season again!

• @eric_plant The only thing I really remember about it was that we had to wear the kind of shoes that you might be expected to wear to get into a Mayfair wine bar. Consequently all any of us cared about was how cold our feet were at winter games or how much they hurt when it was warmer. We just let the fights sort themselves out.

• I'm sure their stewards are relieved they don't have the Mansfield game to look forward to anymore.

• I had some mares - having to tell a stand crammed with Woking fans that they needed to all move over as we needed to fit another couple of hundred in. Or a bomb exercise at Chelsea where I had to tell skinhead after skinhead that they could not go down my fire exit to their cars, as an imaginary bomb had gone off, so they needed to kindly walk all the way around the stadium instead.

• stay off the pitch at AP we don't want it ruined now

• Some video from the home end here...

Gape's winner is at the 3:40 point.

• The CMS incident mentioned earlier is in this video, but I’ve got no more idea of what happened after watching it a few times. Does he just overrun the ball?

• @Chris , that one he's through on goal and overruns it.
    What the other guy describes sounds like he was through, then turned back on himself.
    Two different incidents?

• That is weird isn't it. It's pretty much what I thought I saw, why the hell doesn't he at least have a shot?