Skip to content

Match day thread: Chesterfield

Comments

• Just. Just. Fucking hell. Amazing

• And the prize for the best tweet from the squad goes to...

• What a day. When you realise how infrequently promotions come around (4 in 25 years?), you really have to step back and enjoy it massively.

Already really looking forward to the new set of grounds next year, lots of local ones, ex Premier leagues, Sunderland for certain, possibly Birmingham, Bolton and Reading, and the beloved Rovers too!
    Great.

• Did anyone see what happened to the lad?

Not sure if he fell and hurt himself or just collapsed?

Best wishes to him and hope he gets well soon.

Fantastic scenes today.

Makes all the bad times you go through as a fan worthwhile for a moment like that.

• One (of the many) tweets on the club feed just showed Bean’s goal. Season highlight for me, i well up every time

• The interview with Luke and Harriman is amazing don’t think I’ll sleep tonight we’ve got Gareth Ainsworth and dobbo’s number two....

• @drcongo PCH's tweet is half-decent too

• @PrinceOfCrowell , must have copped a nasty one to be down for 20mins, put on a stretcher strapped up, with oxygen! Hope he's ok!
    Great story to tell his pals though!

• @Malone said:
    PrinceOfCrowell , must have copped a nasty one to be down for 20mins, put on a stretcher strapped up, with oxygen! Hope he's ok!
    Great story to tell his pals though!

He seemed to be celebrating at first then realised how much he hurt. Broken leg I guess. Fingers crossed he’s OK and back with us next season

• edited April 2018

The last 15 minutes felt like The Dark Arts Greatest Hits. Everything from Tyson still doing up his laces a good 90 seconds after the goal went in, to 'head for the corner flag' before the 90 was up, to JJ accidentally on purpose forgetting where he was supposed to be taking the throw from, to Brownie going for the record longest break in play before a goal kick. But to be honest, I loved every 'time wasting bastard' second of it!

• Love this.

• That's just brilliant!!

• It's been very special seeing the reaction from so many former players.

• Their keeper took that stupid grin off his face after we scored didn't he?

• I'd have Alex Lynch back at the club in a heartbeat.

• @floyd , thought exactly that. A lot of players who even may have slight reason to be a little miffed at their exits, but showing no sign of that, and talking of us as a special club and being delighted.

• Poking around on Twitter, there’s an impressive number of Sheffield Wednesday fans congratulating the club, several mentioning the applause we gave them when they got promoted in 2012.

• It actually seemed to me that a few Chesterfield fans were applauding us at the end, which is not bad considering the season they’ve had.

• It's a good job Chesterfield had such a dreadful season, and wouldn't have dreamed of a lap of "Honour", as with our fans partying for 40mins, there was never going to be one today :)

• The best thing about social media tonight is the bitterness from fans of Portsmouth, Luton, Swindon, Notts Co. etc. If Reading get relegated it's going to be even better!

• Report to follow tomorrow all. Out in Sheffield tonight. Thought I’d save it til I’m sober.
    WE ARE GOING UP!!!

• What a day! First half certainly didn't go to plan until stoppage time. Crucial timing for a crucial goal. Second half, had some decent chances, thought we'd never get the winner as the chances came and went, then Dom popped up. Thought Matty B was brilliant today, and Paris was superb when he came on, his crosses were brilliant, and he nearly got on the scoresheet himself. Mental atmosphere, scenes at the end with Gareth were incredible. TBH, not really sunk in yet how everything came together today with us and the other clubs, and that it all happened so quickly. Fantastic achievement by Gareth and all the players, and everyone behind the scenes. Feels like a special promotion today, because of everything that's happened to the club over the last six years.

• The lad broke his leg on the pitch......ive been down the ground tonight ohhhhhhhhh what a night the players are hammered and the stuff fantastic xxxx

• Oh, and shout out to the two guys behind me doing a brilliant job of keeping me informed of scores elsewhere.

• Excellent post @NewburyWanderer. It really has been a crazy day!

• What a wonderful, wonderful day. Great to witness the scenes at Adams Park this evening too plus the away end at Chesterfield was magnificent throughout,

I’m looking forward to waking up tomorrow so I can double check that it all actually happened.

• Literally just back home from 'missing' our greatest day due to old friend commitments. Wow! Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant! Have been out of phone signal range all evening so no phone updates but sitting on my tod sipping a celebratory Rum (OVD) and Coke and feeling just great. Well done every one who went to Chesterfield, I'm sure you were the 12th man. Thank you WWFC Trust, Management, Staff, GA and the Team (and what a team!). 02:17 and I don't care.....................We're in League1!