Skip to content

Match day thread: Accrington

Comments

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Two games to go, destiny in our hands. Just a really poor run of luck on injuries at the wrong time in key positions. I'm sure Exeter would be happier in our position

Well said, you’ve summed it up perfectly.

• This game definitely had "what-ifs" - football has such a huge psychological aspect, that if one of those early shots had gone in, we might have taken heart and cranked it up a gear.

With that being said, 10 shots on target to 3 - that is not our game, but Exeter-Crawley's stat, and the fact is that Exeter fans are "what-iffing" a lot more than us now.

In some ways, the worst aspect of today is opening the door for Notts County. But either way, I don't want us to back into promotion, but go out there and grab it, and if we can't, it is on us.

I have felt all along it is going to come down to the Stevenage game. If we can be 3rd going into that game, I would be very happy.

• I reckon wwfc2015 is a copper.

• A copper fork?

• @Stewie63 said:
    I reckon @Wwfc2015_ is a copper.

Or a pizza chef at Zizzis in Marlow?

• edited April 2018

Changing the subject, I actually timed the stoppages for injuries in the second half, or the first three anyway - I forget if the trainer came on again after the CB was shot by the sniper.

Those three stoppages added up to five minutes, give or take about fifteen seconds. In addition, (not counting the CMS change at half-time) I remember four substitutions in the half: Freeman for us, a single change for them and a double change another time.

Adding thirty seconds for each, about right for the three periods overall, we get to 6.5 minutes. The referee added on four.

It's not the first time I've noticed a considerable disparity between reality and what referees add on. How hard is it to time stoppages accurately? Not at all, I suggest.

• A plastic spork.

• @HCblue I think the ref giving four minutes was like when a boxing ref steps in because one of the fighters doesn’t know who or where he is.

• Take your point but I’m not sure it would have made any difference if he’d added another 20 minutes, apart from a possible further detioration in our GD!

• @drcongo said:
    A plastic spork.

get a life yoi cretin. i have the rignt to an opinion....not to have pricks like you thinking everyone should be sweetness and lights. i can imagine that football is all you have in life...actaully feel.sorry for you.

• It was a passing observation rather than an attempt to explain our defeat today.

• @Wwfc2015_ Who is Harrison, a new signing that I missed?

• @mooneyman said:
    Wwfc2015_ Who is Harrison, a new signing that I missed?

exactly what i mean..you know i meant harriman however rather than commenting on the post you feel the need to point out an obvious typo.

• I actually thought we set up pretty well. No matter who played up front we weren’t going to get much change trying to force our way through their centre backs in the normal battering ram fashion we play when Bayo is fit. Early on we tried instead to find space between the lines and play some neat football around them. That worked to good effect early on and I thought we were unlucky not to take the lead.

Some shocking defending allowed them into the game, and then without Kashkett and Gape we had none of the intricacy required to really get at Accrington. Instead we resorted to direct football again and Accrington dealt with it easily.

I thought it was a mistake not to replace Gape with Saunders. With just two in midfield we never got a foothold in the game to allow us a route back in. Having four attackers on is pointless if you can’t get hold of the ball in the first place to pass it to them.

Accrington were one of the best drilled teams I have seen in league 2. Pretty impenetrable defence, very well organised and had a very well executed counter attacking plan.

The way they strangled the game second half, constantly putting it out for throws, taking an age with everything and refusing us any space whatsoever to turn, showed why they have conceded so few goals. We often try to do the same, but Accrington demonstrated exactly how it is done.

That said, I think weak referring allows that sort of strategy to thrive - No bookings for time wasting, never giving a foul unless someone falls over with their arms outstretched, failing to spot players faking injury and so on. We are equally guilty of deploying the same tactics so it is difficult to call it unfair. Nonetheless, I think the game would be significantly improved by applying a stop-clock and professionalising referees throughout the league,

• That was just shit. I don't know how else to describe it

• @M3G said:
    That was just shit. I don't know how else to describe it

accurate description

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Tell you now, unless Luke and Bayo and Sido are fit for the next two games we can kiss it goodbye. We have not got the strength in depth to change it now.
    But let's be positive despite what I have said so far. Its not about 1 game, its over the season and we are in 3rd for a reason.
    Chesterfield are down, they are, they wont pull back 19 goals and win three games. So I imagine they will be looking t try out some fringe players for next season.

• @Wwfc2015_ said:
    exactly what i mean..you know i meant harriman however rather than commenting on the post you feel the need to point out an obvious typo.

To be fair, you’re very good at obvious typos. Anyway, back to the grill with you!

• Though I'm generally pessimistic about things, and have been for a few weeks, I think there's some result-oriented thinking going on in some of the criticism.

Honestly, we could have been 2-0 up before they scored (and I'm not quite sure why Tyson didn't score his early chance) and might have had three or four before half time had we had anything like the run of the ball they enjoyed.

Like an earlier poster, El Abd was my MOTM. I thought he was close to perfect in all he did today. McGinley found it harder but he's going to, isn't he. We lacked fluency in attack (and to my eye seemed to lack a clear idea of how we hoped to succeed once Gape went off) but had chances. They had four shots, including a gimme from Brown, a tap-in after a tackle caused the ball to go straight to a man in space and a marginal late penalty and they all went in. In that respect, it was a little like the Morecambe game where we allowed four opportunities and they scored from all four.

To be clear, I thought it a really poor performance. Too many players lacked precision in their work and there was a absence of purpose in our play. Like I said earlier, I'm a little more pessimistic about us than the average poster at the moment. But not a lot would have had to have happened differently for the outcome to have been different.

• @arnos_grove said:
    To be fair, you’re very good at obvious typos. Anyway, back to the grill with you!

I’m in zizzis’ in Marlow and waiting for my pizzas the chefs a prick

• Had to miss only my 2nd home of the season, but sounds like it was an absolutely all round dross fest.
    Thank goodness Crawley did a good job at Exeter.

We have one week to really work magic to get Bayo and O Nien into mint condition.

I was pretty surprised to see Kashket seemingly as the lone central frontman. Would have thought CMS would have been the best bet.

Oh well, at least Chesterfield are down now.

• @braywanderer said:
    I’m in zizzis’ in Marlow and waiting for my pizzas the chefs a prick

talking of pricks....

• Get back to your oven the pizzas are burning

• @braywanderer said:
    Get back to your oven the pizzas are burning

i may more in a month than you probably make in a year...if you eating at zizzi is to go by....bye peasant

• So I've ruled out restaurant worker and anything to do with literacy or editing...

• @Wwfc2015_ said:
    i may more in a month than you probably make in a year...if you eating at zizzi is to go by....bye peasant

In view of your alleged wealth may I suggest you have some English lessons. I am told the attached is very good.

https://www.cp-fl.com/course_locator/english-lessons-in-high_wycombe

• @Wwfc2015_ said:

Maybe with with all the money you earn you should get yourself a PA who can actually spell and make sense of you infantile comments. Any go get my pizza.

• go and eat you pizza...i can imagine you are fat and ugly. enjoy lonely cretin.

• Enjoy lonely cretin while stocks last.