Skip to content

Bayo Injury

Am I the only one that doesn't want the club to announce the extent of Bayo's injury?? IMO, Accrington will want to win the division and will be wanting three points on Saturday so if they don't about Bayo, it will make it harder for them to plan how we are going to play and practice that in training

Comments

• Have no worries on this score @DiddyKong as we have (GA has) history in this area for exactly the same reasons.

• Their manager said yesterday that his side is an "unstoppable force" so there is not a lot we can do. Seeing as Accrington have only conceded 5 goals in their last 13 games he is probably right.

• @DiddyKong Agreed. It might only be a tiny edge but why give them the information.

• The sight of Bayo repeatedly pounding the back of the perspex dugout last night after coming off shows the sheer depth of his frustration and anguish. But I wonder whether it was also giving away the fact that he instantly knew it was more serious than 'just a knock'?

• Oh hang on....does that mean we're stopping the whyohwhyohwhyohwhy does Gareth not give us injury information we pay his wages we own the club why are we kept in the dark what are they hiding????

• As for Accy...a win would be amazing, a draw acceptable, but they are going to be well up for another three points. (As I've mentioned before though a Col U supporting colleague claims they were lucky winners at their place....Kee's goal a fluke...so you never know.)

• Bayo was carrying a calf strain going into last night. He was also suffering with the same illness bug affecting O’Nien and Gape.

To me it looked like he was trying to run it off and did not want to be subbed. His reaction was either fury at being replaced or frustration at the injury. Or maybe a bit of both.

I’d imagine he won’t be fit for the remaining games of the regular season. That’s not to say he won’t play heavily dosed up.

• Being de-hydrated from a bug would make trying to play through any strain much trickier, hopefully once he's healthy illness wise and he'll be able to battle through. For the last couple games anyway

• He looked absolutely shattered at the end of the Yeovil game too.

• a powerful presence to come on from the bench against tired defences??

• I love Bayo to bits and he’s obviously absolutely crucial to the way we play but we’re by no means a one man team and we have so much attacking talent that can replace him if he’s out injured. Yes we’d have to alter our tactics but that could have the benefit of catching the opposition by surprise.

• I’d put Tyson down the middle and have PCH wide. After Bayo PCH is the best in the air out of our forward options and he made a big impact when he came on last night.

• I was surprised CMS didn't go down the middle last night. He's the only other forward we have with the hold up skills I think.

• Tyson, CMS, PCH/Freeman. They should be able to do a job for 60 mins at least!

• @Wendoverman said:
    Tyson, CMS, PCH/Freeman. They should be able to do a job for 60 mins at least!

With Williams & Kashket to come on.
    Still doesn't seem too bad to me, providing we alter the style of play accordingly.

• what a superb collection of forwards we have - surely as good as we've ever had in terms of strength in depth

just to think it was not that long ago that we fielded Richard Logan and Dennis Oli up front together

• @clifty04 against tired legs. Indeed. I assume Gareth and Dobbo have formulated a plan for a Bayo shaped hole. 'Take it to the corner from minute one...'

• No-one is expecting an injury update and to be honest I am excited to see what our superb array for forward talent can do without Bayo for a game or two. He's been running on empty for a little while now in my opinion and a change of shape and pace must be within the combined talents of our remaining strikers.

I still have a sneaky feeling he will play on Saturday having said all that.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    No-one is expecting an injury update and to be honest I am excited to see what our superb array for forward talent can do without Bayo for a game or two. He's been running on empty for a little while now in my opinion and a change of shape and pace must be within the combined talents of our remaining strikers.

I still have a sneaky feeling he will play on Saturday having said all that.

It would be nice to see what we can do without Bayo, but I don't think with 3 games left when promotion is in our hands is the right time.

• Sadly, we may have no choice, but this is where the team spirit comes in. As we've noted this is a chance for the other strikers to stake a claim for late season glory. They've all got plenty of goals between them for a change...even Williams has got one!

• GA has several.days before the Accrington game to assess whether Bayo can play and, if not (which I suspect), device an alternate formation and strategy.
    I wouldn't expect too much risk to be taken with playing Bayo if he's not fit as we may still have 5 more games after Accrington.
    However, I hope that Bayo will be fit for the final 2 games where we will probably need to win both. Then he can have a couple of months to recover and think about how he will torment league 1 defenders next season.

• Bayo will be desperate to play, even at less than 50%. Hopefully GA can convince him the last two games are more (?) important...

• I’m in the @glasshalffull / @Right_in_the_Middle camp on this one.
    I didn’t go to Lincoln but the stats suggest that we were better as an attacking force in the second half. Like most (all) I have great admiration for Bayo but he has clearly been struggling of late and his absence would provide an opportunity to be less predictable and, especially with Sam Saunders in the side, to keep the ball on the deck a lot more.

• edited April 2018

GA will prob start him and waste a sub after 10 mins when he pulls up, Id rather see us go for pace against stanley and rest him.

• @micra said:
    I’m in the glasshalffull / Right_in_the_Middle camp on this one.
    I didn’t go to Lincoln but the stats suggest that we were better as an attacking force in the second half. Like most (all) I have great admiration for Bayo but he has clearly been struggling of late and his absence would provide an opportunity to be less predictable and, especially with Sam Saunders in the side, to keep the ball on the deck a lot more.

This whole season we have ALWAYS been a more attacking threat in the second half, with bayo on the field or not.

• he has been rubbish the past 4/5 games and he is not exempt from being dropped or rested, yes his goals have been vital but I would suggest that CMS would have scored as many if he had played the same games as Bayo.

• I think Mr Clift hit the nail on the head when he said that 3 games of the season left, with promotion in our hands, is not the time to start talking about other ways of playing!

Let's hope Bayo is about!

• Whether or not Bayo has been playing well redently it needs to be remembered that opposition teams target him as our dangerman and a lot of the time put two markers on him. This gives the likes of Tyson and CMS more room. Our system has got us where we are, why change it now other than for injury?

Typical Richie bullshit.

• Just saw on Twitter that GA expects Akinfenwa to be fit for Saturday as well as Gape and O'Nien.

• Probably means none of them will - typical GA bullshit !