Skip to content

Ainsworth to Barnsley

Comments

• @rmjlondon said:
    heckingbottom to leeds is farcical and won't happen.

Nice one Richie!

• @aloysius said:
    Ha! Not Ivor Beeks - I still reckon glasshalffull is Alan Parry. Richie is Ivor Beeks.

Keep guessing

• edited February 2018

@rmjlondon have you told Leeds?

• Richie could be Nathan Jones.

• There's no way Alan Parry would masquerade as some negative gasroom fella. He's got a little bit more about him than that!

• Danny Cowley of Lincoln now the frontrunner for the job. Seems unlikely to me but if it unsettles their squad (as well as the distraction of the EFL Trophy) it's good for our promotion bid.

Hopefully Notts County will also continue their downward spiral after getting battered by Swansea last night in the cup.

• I doubt very much if Barnsley’s new owners have ever heard of Gareth or indeed Wycombe. The only league 2 manager with a chance of getting the job would be Steve Evans and even that would be remote. Far more likely it would be a tried and trusted safe pair of hands in the Warnock McCarthy mould than a lower division manager

• If they are doing the whole Moneyball thing (and you’d expect so with Billy Beane being involved, even distantly) then Ainsworth would seem a natural fit.

• Ainsworth won't get the job at Barnsley because he isn't good enough, there is a massive gulf which was shown when we played Preston, that goes for the managers aswell as the players and also he will want to finish the job he started here.

• @rmjlondon but why should anyone listen to your pronouncements when two days ago you said Heckingbottom wouldn’t be going to Leeds?

• I think Richie's point isn't entirely invalid, however inelegantly expressed. Gareth's style of management is heavily based on building team spirit and instilling a sense of loyalty in players - so that they fight for each other and for the team. That's hard to do in the final third of a relegation-threatened campaign. Especially when he wouldn't have the natural bond with the Barnsley players that he had with the Wycombe squad when initially promoted to manager.

If he is to move on I think Gareth is sensible enough to know that it would be far better to do that with a full pre-season ahead of him; when he could build a squad and a spirit around him - and tweak team selection and tactics at the start of a campaign when mistakes are not so costly. Plus it really will help his CV to have a promotion on it and he now has an excellent chance of doing so. Far better a promotion from League Two for long-term career prospects than a relegation from the Championship.

• If Ainsworth is offered the job I’d expect him to take it.

• @Chris said:
    If Ainsworth is offered the job I’d expect him to take it.

I'd hope it didn't come to that, and I'd hope to be proved wrong, but so would I.

• I’ve just done what I hope was a realistic prediction of how many points we will win from now till May and I have us finishing with 80-odd points which would have us in contention for the top 3 and certainly play offs. Hope GA believes that’s a good enough reason to stay.

• If it gets far enough down the road for him to be offered it then they already know he wants it and he's been interviewed etc though

I've a feeling that should he be approached he will say he's staying put for now

I doubt we'll ever really know

• I agree with @aloysius's analysis, although I think it's more relevant as a factor in determining whether GA would be offered the job than whether he would take it. If he's offered it, on satisfactory terms, then managing in the Championship would surely be very tempting.

• Cowley ruled himself out, to finish what he started with Lincoln. I can't see Ainsworth being any different. Again, it is the context of the time of season, precarious position of Barnsley, and momentum of Wycombe.

• That all being said, I can't wait for the job to be filled so we can stamp 'MOOT' on this thread. Such a great word...

• Until the next vacancy...

• @Chris said:
    If Ainsworth is offered the job I’d expect him to take it.

It is not beyond reality that Barnsley and Wycombe will be playing in the same league next season.

I agree he would probably at least treble his wages by taking the job, but he must be reasonably well off from his playing career. In light off this, a chance of getting a promotion on his CV may be more important to Gareth than money. If we do go up, I would expect him to leave at the end of this season having achieved what he set out to do at the start of his contract.

• @Shev said:
    That all being said, I can't wait for the job to be filled so we can stamp 'MOOT' on this thread. Such a great word...

MOOT? Sorry to be thick (and, yes, I do know the word) but you’ve lost me there. Trouble is, this has been a nightmare week domestically and I couldn’t possibly read all the 650 plus comments that have been made on here over the past few days. For me, the feeling of jubilation and optimism has been tinged with anxiety about the fragile nature of this fine footballing edifice which GA and his team, on and off the pitch, have created.

If and when Gareth moves on, the future will depend very much on the club being able to find another manager with similar personal qualities and the same exceptional ability to attract, motivate and develop young players and to rejuvenate the older ones.

• Just to clarify, my comments were about this very specific 'Ainsworth to Barnsley thread becoming moot, rather than future 'Ainsworth to Somewhere, Someday' threads. I do think he will leave if we get promoted and a solid offer materializes (I am in the QPR camp as likeliest, but you never know)

• @mooneyman well done on including an 'if', a 'but' and a 'maybe' in your post.

Kind of sums the whole debate up for me.

• I am truly sorry to have overheard and reported this speculation from BBC Sheffield. Lesson learnt!

• Flashback to St Martin being linked to every other job and John Gregory on the managerial merry go round

• The final two thirds of @micra's post sums it all up nicely for me. Jubilation followed by creeping anxiety (and knowing full well it has to happen one day).

• @rmjlondon hates Gareth and has little time for anyone else on here unless they too are slagging off the manager. As usual I say say something positive about the team and players you 'support' at every game home and away Richie. Or just tell us who the ref will be against Stevenage.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Agreed, no one knows how good a manager could be at a higher level until he’s given the opportunity.

• Or who will be the next goalkeeper we sign.