Skip to content

Match Report - Carlisle

Comments

• And that is one hell of a video !!
    Had it on full volume on the laptop, what a noise - both cats ran out of the room at the end !! (I don't think they will catch up with Beany !!)

• Those inside match day videos are terrific aren't they?

• @eric_plant said:
    The replay I've seen is inconclusive and certainly offers no indisputable proof of an injustice

Silly appeal if you ask me

Well, fortunately no one at the club did ask you. How can you call it a ‘silly’ appeal on the basis of one replay and with no knowledge of any other evidence that the club might have? For all you know the referee could have reviewed the incident and admitted that he made a mistake. It happens.

• Surely the red card will be overturned on the basis of that video.

• Amid all the euphoria, I would like to give a heads up on the performances both, at Luton & v Carlisle of Dan Scarr. It was his header back across goal for the 2nd goal at Luton and his header back across goal which ultimately led to Beans winner. I certainly believe he has come on leaps and bounds since he joined us, both defensively and as a threat in the opposition box & wouldn't be disappointed if he were one of our summer signings.

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    Amid all the euphoria, I would like to give a heads up on the performances both, at Luton & v Carlisle of Dan Scarr. It was his header back across goal for the 2nd goal at Luton and his header back across goal which ultimately led to Beans winner. I certainly believe he has come on leaps and bounds since he joined us, both defensively and as a threat in the opposition box & wouldn't be disappointed if he were one of our summer signings.

Agree 100 per cent. Another inspired signing by GA and Dobbo. Those two certainly know a good player when they see one.

• Wow! That matchday video offers really strong evidence to support the red card appeal. Luke's arms are tight to his chest the whole time. His body moves towards the ball with not the merest hint of an arm coming out. The strong suggestion is that the ball struck his chest. Even if the ball struck his arm - it's not 100% clear on the video - it's abundantly clear there was no intention to handle. Pause the video at 2.19 to get a shot of the ball hitting him. Go frame by frame for the half second up to that point and it seems as clear as you might wish it to be that the ball was more or less straight at him. You can see his preliminary movements before the ball gets there, all of which are exculpatory.

I'd be very disappointed if the appeal was not allowed if that evidence is admissable. Whether it is or not, I am confirmed in my 120 metre-distant impression at the time that the referee was guessing and am really disappointed in him - this is not a decision you should make unless you're 100% sure and there just isn't any way he could have been.

• @HCblue said:
    Wow! That matchday video offers really strong evidence to support the red card appeal. Luke's arms are tight to his chest the whole time. His body moves towards the ball with not the merest hint of an arm coming out. The strong suggestion is that the ball struck his chest. Even if the ball struck his arm - it's not 100% clear on the video - it's abundantly clear there was no intention to handle. Pause the video at 2.19 to get a shot of the ball hitting him. Go frame by frame for the half second up to that point and it seems as clear as you might wish it to be that the ball was more or less straight at him. You can see his preliminary movements before the ball gets there, all of which are exculpatory.

I'd be very disappointed if the appeal was not allowed if that evidence is admissable. Whether it is or not, I am confirmed in my 120 metre-distant impression at the time that the referee was guessing and am really disappointed in him - this is not a decision you should make unless you're 100% sure and there just isn't any way he could have been.

I obviously hope that your views are shared by the panel but the refereeing fraternity has a habit of sticking together and supporting their own on these things so I’m not raising my hopes just yet.

• Well indeed: it seems to be hard to get a card overturned without a referee saying he thinks he got it wrong so I have realistic expectations. But I can't watch that video and draw any conclusion other than that the referee was very mistaken. There is no ambiguity there for me.

• I’ve said all along that Luke moved his chest towards the ball and although his arm was obviously close to the ball as well, there is no way he moved his arm towards the ball and it has to be deliberate to be a penalty and therefore a red card offence.

• I think it's very harsh to give a penalty and red card. Arms are by his side and the ball is struck directly at him with a lot of pace.

Agree that the inside matchday videos are absolutely superb. The Crewe home and Luton away ones were just a brilliant watch. Still don't think I'm over what happened on Saturday. As I wasn't there, I'm almost tempted to not believe it.

• @clifty04 said:
    Right_in_the_Middle - The in game rant was an objection to taking off JJ from a man management perspective, I know others agreed with me at the time. He seems to have become a rather unnecessary and undeserved scapegoat recently (is it something to do with our left hand side and now that Sam Wood has left?), which may've affected his confidence and therefore his performance levels. Substituting him after a missed penalty, to then be sarcastically cheered off by some, is surely only going to affect that further. I admit though, the substitution did also allow the change in formation. These thoughts weren't necessary to repeat in the report though I didn't feel, and I'd have likely felt the same way even if the scores remained 2-3.

As for the team selection glasshalffull, I thought we'd miss Gapes creativity in the middle. Happy to be proved wrong, although I think it can be argued we maybe still did at times. As rmjlondon points out though, we probably didn't have another option at right-back.

LX1 - I don't believe I've suggested subbing JJ was a punishment? And not sure what being a Manchester United supporter (which I'm not) has to do with it? I'll be at Exeter like I've been to virtually every other away game this season. I'm sorry this isn't a big enough indication to you that I'm a Wycombe Wanderers supporter. As for the having a terrible left-back in the future comment, I thought this was clear enough to be tongue in cheek as a response to the criticism JJ is receiving. You don't realise what you've got until it's gone.

Apologies if the report is downbeat StrongestTeam, I felt at half-time we hadn't played well but led 2-0 (which is obviously a great trait to have). The ending was obviously an incredible end to a thrilling contest, however if it had remained 2-3 (which I know it didn't) it would've been a poor and disappointing afternoon.
    I was busy on Saturday evening so was dipping in and out of the report rather than sitting down and concentrating on it like normal. If this affected the quality of it apologies - I still was more than happy to volunteer though, and will continue to do so. I share your thoughts on our approach to the 2nd half with 10 men. But a big hand must go to Gareth for addressing this with the formation change.

Thanks for your comments Twizz.

Saturday was yet another (in a long line) of memorable moments and games from this season. These last three in particular really have been sensational. Lets hope this run of form can continue at Exeter on Saturday.

An excellent post. Anything to say in response RITM or will your attacks continue?

• I would only add that, at the end of the video, there's a very nice graphic of "I was there when Beany scored". T shirt ready?

• I'm certainly in for the t-shirt

• I am having to settle for the "I was in my Denver living room going absolutely crazy when Beany scored" one.

• @Shev said:
    I am having to settle for the "I was in my Denver living room going absolutely crazy when Beany scored" one.

@Shev, iFollow subscribers at your distance are granted live home and away status so wear one with pride;-)

• Cheers @ValleyWanderer - yes, it's a great deal to have that kind of access. I am on course to see about 40 of the 46 this season. I am coming over for Stevenage on the last day of the season, though!

• @DJWYC14 Thought you are owed an answer to your question. If the Twitter tirades continue then I will continue to question the poster on them. Especially if they write a report where none of that abuse is mentioned. I still don't agree with that level of abuse and I'm not sure the answer given actually covers the point I raised.
    If they don't happen then I won't be reading the match report so I won't have anything to complain about.

• And the t-shirt is now available https://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk

• @Right_in_the_Middle If you don't like what he says on twitter, why don't you...

a) tell him that on Twitter

b) stop following him

• If a journalist writes an article criticising Donald Trump and then celebrates him on twitter they cannot expect it to be ignored.

Twitter is a place for people to express their views to the Twitter community. That's the point of it. I would suggest 'if you don't want people to criticise your twitter posts, don't post on Twitter.'

• @Right_in_the_Middle wrote..: "If the Twitter tirades continue then I will continue to question the poster on them. Especially if they write a report where none of that abuse is mentioned."

I find this a little confusing, so my point is a simple one...

Given that the offending "abuse" or "opinion" depending on whether you are @Right_in_the_Middle or @clifty04 is published on twitter and not on my site, surely the place to "question" the writer is twitter.

• I must admit not being on the Twitter I admire those who can tweetify during a game. I tend to watch the action and find it tricky just to text the score to someone, never mind assess the management shortfalls and squirt out insults and tactical suggestions to my millions of follower.

• @Vital I started writing a proper response but do you know what, let's leave it. I don't know where you get off telling someone what they should and shouldn't do in terms of commenting on inconsistencies on posts. I don't think I follow him on Twitter. I am fairly sure the abuse ended up on my feed as a retweet from someone else. I can see no law or rule that tells me I have to respond on Twitter.

Sometimes the protests are more telling than the crimes.

• edited February 2018

It's a completely generational thing. People who have grown up with Twitter/ FB / Snapchat have a vastly more "throwaway" attitude to what's written on them. I know that a heat of the moment message on there might not reflect the person's considered opinion, much like someone shouting in frustration in person. Either you fall into the old person not understanding social media use, (see any "trolling" post's comments and it's invariably older people not getting that the whole point of it is to wind up), or you have a bit of a vendetta against clifty despite not knowing him.

• "Opnusmu". I'll buy that one. Thanks @Username

• I think that I might also be an OPNUSMU.

• @Username as an old get I would respond but I suspect your post is a windup.

• @Wendoverman said:
    I must admit not being on the Twitter I admire those who can tweetify during a game. I tend to watch the action and find it tricky just to text the score to someone, never mind assess the management shortfalls and squirt out insults and tactical suggestions to my millions of follower.

Especially considering the phone coverage at Adams Park. Whenever there's a break in play, no way my phone is getting anywhere near Twitter...

• The attack has turned into a vendetta! Some might say it's like a good old gypsy wedding