Skip to content

Match Report - Carlisle

Comments

• @vital pressure you? Dear boy, I try to use my immense power and influence on social media only for good. I think Righty, to be fair, was only pointing out the discrepancies he saw between online postings and vital reporting. I'm glad he only made one comment only once and he is sorry about it.

• Indeed @QuarteredChair, deciding what point to throw everyone forward when you’re down to ten has to be pretty tricky. GA also acknowledged in his interviews that he only did so to try to rescue a point. The fact that we got 3 was down to the players.

• As @Vital says the match reports are entirely separate from any social media postings. Nowhere in his article does Adam Clift suggest taking JJ off is punishment for missing the penalty.
    If you don't like seeing what is posted by some people on social media stop looking!

For what it's worth I also thought, at the time, GA had not reacted sufficiently to the changing game situation. I thought he should have gone more defensive immediately LO9 was sent off. At that time we were still winning and i felt we should have tried to defend thst lead. As I don't use social media I shared these views only with those around me. Mostly they agreed.
    On reflection GA did, in the end, make the right tactical decision to change the game. Maybe 3-3 would have been a fairer reflection of the game overall. Even GA admits, in his interview, that he was prepared to settle for that at 94 minutes.

Are you going to attack me for holding those views like you attack Adam?

• @Twizz Attack? No no don't fret. This is a safe place. We've put all our weapons on the table.

• Lol, I thought it was Pearl Harbour for a minute

• @LX1 I know I will get attacked for this but Ainsworth parking his ships in Hawaii whilst underestimating Japanese guile and aggression was criminal.

• @rmjlondon said:
    well were losing on 93 mins, so his tactics were not looking so good and he was rescued by mr prolific but well done and we are chasing
    @rmjlondon said:
    well were losing on 93 mins, so his tactics were not looking so good and he was rescued by mr prolific but well done and we are chasing Luton hard.

Please Richie, GA made positive changes earlier than the 93rd minute in an effort to rescue the game. Those changes clearly made a difference. If he had made the changes that you suggest, PCH wouldn't have been on the pitch to score the equaliser. You continuing to try and tell the gasroom that he got it all wrong doesn't do you any favours at all. Perhaps that's why you couldn't hold down a job in the club shop?

• Sometimes u just have to sit back and appreciate the magic did we get lucky 100% scoring In the 93rd and 96th minute is hardly tactical genius! But who cares if we had bought on another midfielder after Luke’s red which I thought we should we might not have had the moment of magic from mr bean is GA the best manager in the world of course not if he was he’d be managing from the prem but for our level he’s great so instead of arguing about what we should or shouldn’t have done why doesn’t everyone watch that bean goal again and just enjoy it! Moments like that don’t come joins very often

• Ironically, apart from potentially losing Luke for the Exeter match, pending any appeal, that was a better way to win than a 4-0 stroll. So much of sports is psychological (how often we see a momentum shift in a game that makes it seem as though teams have swapped shirts!), so to come back from the dead in such memorable fashion stands us in better stead from a psychological viewpoint, as the belief in the squad must be through the roof now, if it was not after Luton!

• @Shev hits the nail on the head.

• @Right_in_the_Middle - The in game rant was an objection to taking off JJ from a man management perspective, I know others agreed with me at the time. He seems to have become a rather unnecessary and undeserved scapegoat recently (is it something to do with our left hand side and now that Sam Wood has left?), which may've affected his confidence and therefore his performance levels. Substituting him after a missed penalty, to then be sarcastically cheered off by some, is surely only going to affect that further. I admit though, the substitution did also allow the change in formation. These thoughts weren't necessary to repeat in the report though I didn't feel, and I'd have likely felt the same way even if the scores remained 2-3.

As for the team selection @glasshalffull, I thought we'd miss Gapes creativity in the middle. Happy to be proved wrong, although I think it can be argued we maybe still did at times. As @rmjlondon points out though, we probably didn't have another option at right-back.

@LX1 - I don't believe I've suggested subbing JJ was a punishment? And not sure what being a Manchester United supporter (which I'm not) has to do with it? I'll be at Exeter like I've been to virtually every other away game this season. I'm sorry this isn't a big enough indication to you that I'm a Wycombe Wanderers supporter. As for the having a terrible left-back in the future comment, I thought this was clear enough to be tongue in cheek as a response to the criticism JJ is receiving. You don't realise what you've got until it's gone.

Apologies if the report is downbeat @StrongestTeam, I felt at half-time we hadn't played well but led 2-0 (which is obviously a great trait to have). The ending was obviously an incredible end to a thrilling contest, however if it had remained 2-3 (which I know it didn't) it would've been a poor and disappointing afternoon.
    I was busy on Saturday evening so was dipping in and out of the report rather than sitting down and concentrating on it like normal. If this affected the quality of it apologies - I still was more than happy to volunteer though, and will continue to do so. I share your thoughts on our approach to the 2nd half with 10 men. But a big hand must go to Gareth for addressing this with the formation change.

Thanks for your comments @Twizz.

Saturday was yet another (in a long line) of memorable moments and games from this season. These last three in particular really have been sensational. Lets hope this run of form can continue at Exeter on Saturday.

• decent post that

• @clifty04 Thanks for clarification. I must admit I hadn't noticed JJ being made any sort of scapegoat. Or getting overmuch criticism. Certainly not around the Beechdean. Have I missed stuff on here...or is that just a terrace thing? I thought once the third goal went in JJ's head would have dropped so was not surprised he was subbed. Tactically and man management wise I thought it was a good call myself. Although like you and most of Adams Park, the most I was expecting us to rescue at very, very best was a draw.

• @clifty04 Ainsworth before the game said it pained him to take Gape out of midfield, but was the only fit right back option.

• @clifty04 said:
    Right_in_the_Middle - The in game rant was an objection to taking off JJ from a man management perspective, I know others agreed with me at the time. He seems to have become a rather unnecessary and undeserved scapegoat recently (is it something to do with our left hand side and now that Sam Wood has left?), which may've affected his confidence and therefore his performance levels. Substituting him after a missed penalty, to then be sarcastically cheered off by some, is surely only going to affect that further. I admit though, the substitution did also allow the change in formation. These thoughts weren't necessary to repeat in the report though I didn't feel, and I'd have likely felt the same way even if the scores remained 2-3.

As for the team selection glasshalffull, I thought we'd miss Gapes creativity in the middle. Happy to be proved wrong, although I think it can be argued we maybe still did at times. As rmjlondon points out though, we probably didn't have another option at right-back.

LX1 - I don't believe I've suggested subbing JJ was a punishment? And not sure what being a Manchester United supporter (which I'm not) has to do with it? I'll be at Exeter like I've been to virtually every other away game this season. I'm sorry this isn't a big enough indication to you that I'm a Wycombe Wanderers supporter. As for the having a terrible left-back in the future comment, I thought this was clear enough to be tongue in cheek as a response to the criticism JJ is receiving. You don't realise what you've got until it's gone.

Apologies if the report is downbeat StrongestTeam, I felt at half-time we hadn't played well but led 2-0 (which is obviously a great trait to have). The ending was obviously an incredible end to a thrilling contest, however if it had remained 2-3 (which I know it didn't) it would've been a poor and disappointing afternoon.
    I was busy on Saturday evening so was dipping in and out of the report rather than sitting down and concentrating on it like normal. If this affected the quality of it apologies - I still was more than happy to volunteer though, and will continue to do so. I share your thoughts on our approach to the 2nd half with 10 men. But a big hand must go to Gareth for addressing this with the formation change.

Thanks for your comments Twizz.

Saturday was yet another (in a long line) of memorable moments and games from this season. These last three in particular really have been sensational. Lets hope this run of form can continue at Exeter on Saturday.

Fair play to you for explaining your motives in such an honest fashion. We all have opinions about football but the manager is the only person who has to make the big decisions and he knows that if he gets too many wrong he’ll get the sack. The fact that GA has been our manager for 5 years proves that he gets most things right.

• But we all know at the end of the day, when the dust settles GA was lucky and @rmjlondon would have won it betterer

• I didn't make it to the game which I regret massively, but I'm still absolutely buzzing two days later.

Will be wearing the quarters with immense pride at 5 a side tonight.

• @Wendoverman said:
    But we all know at the end of the day, when the dust settles GA was lucky and rmjlondon would have won it betterer

I meant to add that but somehow it slipped my mind!

• I wonder how many Man City fans were arguing about earlier tactical failings in the wake of Sergio Aguero's injury time winner back in 2012.

• I wonder.

• Imagine in that game if VAR...etc...etc....etc

• Ah yes - VAR - I wonder if LO9 would have played a full 90 minutes...etc...etc...etc

I'll get my coat.

• The replay I've seen is inconclusive and certainly offers no indisputable proof of an injustice

Silly appeal if you ask me

• @eric_plant said:
    The replay I've seen is inconclusive and certainly offers no indisputable proof of an injustice

Silly appeal if you ask me

The club seem to have withheld the goal cam footage of the incident. Perhaps this is the supporting evidence? Keeping it out of the public domain means no conjecture on social media (other than this post of course!).

• got to agree @eric_plant I know it's Exeter and he is flying, but Luke getting a rest is not the worst thing that could happen. If he loses appeal isn't the ban increased?

• Is it a three game ban for a straight red? So he'll be missing Exeter, Swindon and Cheltenham? I can see why they might appeal, but not sure it is wise. Hopefully, the inconclusivity will work in our favour (fingers crossed!)

• @Wendoverman said:
    Is it a three game ban for a straight red? So he'll be missing Exeter, Swindon and Cheltenham? I can see why they might appeal, but not sure it is wise. Hopefully, the inconclusivity will work in our favour (fingers crossed!)

Professional foul so only one match ban.

• Thanks @mooneyman so my first post is relevant. I would not risk extra games on an appeal...although I know Exeter is a big game.

• You only get an extra game ban if the appeal is "frivolous" rather than just unsuccessful.

• There's a good look at it on the Inside Matchday video, both in slow motion and full speed.

09's hand is not away from his body, neither does he move his arm/hand towards the ball. On that basis, our appeal should be a success.