Skip to content

Match day thread: Colchester

Comments

• YEEEEEE HAW

• BTW, what a brilliant goal from Luke!!

• O’Nien rubbishes the Northampton story in his Vere Suite interview.

• @rmjlondon said:
    we won't be in the play off positions for long thats the concern, by 5.15 tommorow we probably won't be.

I might just copy and paste this in answer to his bollocks for ever more.

• @drcongo said:
    I might just copy and paste this in answer to his bollocks for ever more.

To be fair to Richie boy, we wouldn't have been in the play off positons if Accrington hadn't won.

• He’s like the anti-Nostradamus.

• Moore - quality, way above league 2 level, and a temporary shame that goal didn't go in. O Nien quickly righting that!

McGinley - less certain at times, but some terrific blocks and generally solid.

Made up for the embarrassment at some of our supporters behaviour walking into the ground!

• Great news @arnos_grove. Thanks for posting that.

• Yes what a relief.

• Best game of the season. Enjoyable in so many respects. Ambitious play by both sides, little or no play acting or time wasting (except by the crowd!), four good goals, two of them outstanding (O9 and theirs), a brave debut by the new CB and the most exciting debut imaginable by Moore. Had he scored that in the second half it would, I suggest, have been the greatest ever League Two goal. I'm not sure he can defend but I am totally excited to watch him play for the rest of the season!

What a brilliant comeback after last week and in such difficult circumstances injury-wise. Hope Sam and Paris are ok.

Only slight disappointment: the knowledge that the club will have had to pay thousands for the enormous police presence which, having seen about twenty or thirty guys behind the goal spend the whole game marking each moment that went in our favour with abusive gestures and language toward the away end, I understand the perceived need for. Linking to the earlier conversation, I am with @micra in his perspective. Rivalry between teams is a reasonable, stimulating and healthy thing - of course. Hatred, not at all.

• Some pretty embarrassing behaviour from some of our lot today, who appeared to be playing a game of hooligan role play

• Both loanees did extraordinarily well I was a little concerned giving two debuts at the back but needs must Moore is a class above and young McGinley grew into the game. We looked balanced and confident against a decent col u.
    Always a pleasure beating our friends from Essex

• Enjoyable game and a decent atmosphere compared to recent weeks.

Since the dire first half against Cov we have made a little habit of starting games quickly. Really snapped into the tackles today, did a job on their number 10 and worked hard to make life difficult for them.

On another day the game could have been quite different. They really should have scored the header straight at Brown, who also made a terrific second half save. Meanwhile we were able to take our chances when they came.

Both loanees a massive plus. Great to get two players in that look like they will strengthen the first 11 rather than just fill the squad. Until today I probably felt we’d fade and do well to get 6th or 7th. Having seen the grit we showed today and with the boost of two new players, I feel like we may just sneak third.

• What a run by Moore. Had he scored that it would have gone down in history.

Some almost superhuman blocking by McGinley at times. Looks a proper defender.

• You know it’s been a good afternoon when @TheNixonTapes and co are nowhere to be seen!

• edited January 2018

@eric_plant , very much so. I wonder if these idiots understand that their stupidity is why we end up needing to foot a large police bill.
    Worst I saw was Lana's bloke abusing some completely passive Col U fans, then start the same at the police.

Dreadful stuff and i'd guess whatever the Col U fans did, wouldn't even slightly deserve the treatment they were getting.

• A bit better than a guess, I think, @malone.

• That’s the price you have to pay for PASSION!

• The build up to that run from Moore was superb as well, cross field ball from CMS amazing, and the first touch from Moore sublime

Honestly think it would have been the best goal I have ever seen live at a game.

CMS would have been MOTM if I'd been choosing. Absolutely brilliant. What a player he is

My biggest concern remains the keeper. Not sure we can go up with him in goal. Surely we can get someone in on loan?

• (apologies @HCblue , I tried to make the post more concise, but have put the gist of the line you referred to back in to make sense!)

• Oh, and the valley terrace not throwing the ball back was cretinous, and cringeworthy

Pathetic scenes

• Brown made two excellent saves today to his credit.

One from point blank range in the first half and a superb diving save on the stretch in the second

• Fair, @eric_plant, though I found it slightly funny the first time! Also, the Col U fans did it too the first time the ball went into their end. Given it was 0-0 fairly early on, I struggled to understand why.

• Brown was ok today, not a game i'd be bringing him up as a doubt to our promo ambitions! I find that a strange one.

• The point blank one went right at him, any keeper would have saved that

Second one was very good to be fair

He never comes for anything though, and is all at sea when the ball is heading for the back post.

• No problem, @Malone. Thanks for the considerate editing!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • In relation to the police bill you only pay for police in the ground any others outside you do not. Regardless it's the few idiots we have that cause this issue and the subsequent loss of dosh.

• Yes, that goal from O Nien was an incredible hit. Left foot screamer! The unexpected ones are the best!

• Interesting information, @ox66. Does the "ground"include the surrounds like the car park as far as you know? I'd be assuming so since it's part of the same private property.