Skip to content

Stay at home Monday quiz

Comments

• Well that takes the Cake, I got the right answer to the wrong Question.

• these quizzes need to be a bit more currant

• I think you need to sieve through the questions so as not to over egg the answers.

• Which league club has the nearest ground to the Mersey?

• Stockport County?

• Everton?

• Man Utd. Stockport County are no longer a league club.

• @cecil very good

• Point of order Chris.

Cecil seems to have done a Prosser here. Yes I know there is a slight resemblance between the two, but isnt the river by Old Trafford the River Irwell.

• Hmm it seems you are right @DevC .

It is true that the nearest river to Old Trafford is the Irwell, woth the Mersey running between Stretford and Sale, just under two miles south of Old Trafford, on its way from Liverpool towards the old winner Stockport.

Now Goodison Park is much nearer to the Mersey Estuary than that - I suspect the source I used for the question was using a rather suspect definition of where the river Mersey begins. Either that or it was just wrong.

• Ta muchly.

My turn then.

There are nine city based FL clubs that have never played in the top flight (some would say ten). Can you name them.

• Exeter, Bristols City and Rovers, AFC Wimbledon, Barnet, Lincoln...

• Plymouth

• Carlisle

• Five out of seven correct Chris - one wrong. One the arguable one depending on whether you see MK or AFC as the continuation of the old premier league Wimbledon.

• Newport, Shrewsbury

• Newport yes.

Shrewsbury is just a town. By the way the incorrect one was Bristol City - they made the top division back in early seventies.

Three left.

• I suppose the clue for Shrewsbury is in the name Shrewsbury Town

• Indeed Chris!!

Just for the record Dulwich Hamlet wouldn't qualify either.

• Port Vale

• Cambridge United

• Indeed. Burslem is part of the city of stoke

Only one more.

• edited December 2017

Indeed Peterborough has achieved something that Shrewsbury hasn't!

But I have a confession to make. Obscure quizzing knowledge but strictly speaking I have marked one of the answers above incorrectly. Anyone know which one and why?

Meanwhile, which cities currently have more than one premier league team in England.

• Assuming we are talking men’s football then London, Liverpool but I guess not Manchester because United are in Trafford?

• edited December 2017

We are indeed talking mens football - this is not a trick question, but your answer is not correct, Chris.

The correct answer is related to the reason why I marked one of your answers to the previous question incorrectly.

• Is it something to do with only the City of London technically being a city?

• So just Liverpool?

• I would say that it is within the realms of being a trick question.

• Correct chris.

Liverpool is the only UK city with more than one premier league team.

Man U are in traffrd which is not located in the City of Manchester. They are only a few hundred yards away from the city of Salford though.

Only the square mile and Westminster are cities in London. Arsenal, Tottenham etc and Barnet come to that are no more located in cities than say Shrewsbury.